The Velvet Underground At The Boston Tea Party

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
urchinn
Beginning to see the light

Re: The Velvet Underground At The Boston Tea Party

Post by urchinn » 06 Nov 2022 16:19

Dang! Any of those "Professor Tapes" would be welcome if they were masters (or even first generation) shows!!! Bring 'em on...ASAP! Any "new" tapes would be a wonderful bonus.

MartinVU

Post by MartinVU » 07 Nov 2022 12:18

Hoping for more BTP-recordings as these are my favorite performances from that era.

Always wondered if the more recent bootlegs were sourced from the properly mastered tapes Steve Nelson stated were the superior to earlier boots or not (and which were probably meant for a Bootles-series release). Does anyone know?

There's bits of info about the Professor online but not much and I don't know how accurate it is. Like this:

The Professor kept these tapes to himself, not out of musical greed but rather lack of a forum, until a programming event came up on his university radio station, WHRB-FM at Harvard U., that focused exclusively on the VU for a period of many consecutive hours. (I can't remember exactly when this "orgy" was, nor how long it lasted, but perhaps those details are documented elsewhere.) During this VU orgy, he broadcast all five of the tapes each in its entirety. Within a week all five of them were already circulating on bootlegs (perhaps only cassette, I don't recall) in Europe, and have been in general circulation ever since.
Paul (original name is changed) recently discovered amid his personal possessions is a set of reel tapes, which, with the Professor's cooperation, He had had professionally transferred from his original reels, shortly after their initial broadcast. They also made good-quality cassettes during the same session, and as it was those cassettes that he has used as listening copies ever since, he eventually forgot that he even had the reels. When those tapes reappeared after a recent house move, however, Paul had them professionally baked and digitized.

Paul doesn't want to miss the opportunity to salute the one person who, aside from the band itself, was most responsible for these recordings: the Professor, Robin Hood. Robin was a very sweet guy, and Paul can't imagine he'd be anything but delighted with the dissemination of his tapes to us-all. If he were around to hear it, Paul would be thanking him profusely right now.

We have here a professional 1st gen transfer of the master tape (and the master of "Praise Ye") which is a very nice thing.

(from http://thenunsareontheseawall.blogspot. ... tapes.html)

MartinVU

Post by MartinVU » 07 Nov 2022 12:29

From one of the comments in the link above:

"As far as what I recall R. telling me (in person, and it was a long discussion at his place) he taped only 12-12 and 1-10 of the VU. He had copies of other stuff, though, and I had never heard or heard of that summer Boston show before now. When I first heard the March 69 show, it was not from him, and I immediately noticed the very inferior audio on that and thought it wasn't his recording, as he was more careful (part of the process he told me about) with equipment, location, and concealment. Concealment wasn't needed as much at that time, as he pointed out, but he used a clever approach that allowed him easy access. I'm trying to recall which show was booted on vinyl (12-12 or 1-10) by the guy in Boston, but the LP was maybe 40 mins. and that was the main source for years, but my copy was perhaps 80(?) mins. One drawback of bootlegging: incorrect info or incomplete contents, and that's what haunted that particular recording for decades. I'm a bit stunned at the incorrect info on the professor online, some of it outright fantasy or lies. Your site looks a bit closer to the source than others, based upon your remarks, at least, as some of the others online are apparently using multi-gen copies that derived from mine, which I got from R. in the mid-1980s. He had a great collection, and allowed it to be heard, recorded, etc., so I taped a lot while I was living there. His blues 78s were amazing. Even the other prof who lived there, V., was in some psych-folk-pop band in VA in the 70s, but I forgot the band name (last time I saw it somewhere, years ago, their LP was listed at $200).The info about the tape donation was told to me by someone online, and I was told R. had passed away, but shortly after that, a specific personnel dept. head told me he was still on staff. She was mistaken, though, as it appears he passed in 2006, per the faculty newsletter. I'm not sure of the Scorpio source. If it wasn't from him directly (doubtful) or from his Boston "friend", then one would assume that it came either via a cassette trade I made in the '80s or an even more degraded copy deriving after that. So I'm sorry if others paid for that, it certainly wasn't related to me and it ties in with my negative attitude toward bootleg merchants, who are basically thieves. The UMG master are in their vaults and have a value to them that I doubt would lead UMG to allowing it all to be bootlegged, and who knows what condition the reels are in. One interesting tidbit is that R. delivered at least one seminar at another Univ. on the ordering and pacing of songs at live VU concerts, and he had some excellent examples to use. That was one of their live strengths: the drama and suspense in their live music. I'd be happy to stay in touch, just let me know, and please don't let these audio files lapse! People should hear this material."

Ancar

Post by Ancar » 07 Nov 2022 23:52

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: [quote=falconwhit post_id=179672 time=1667668497 user_id=44167]
OMG. Please, take my money now already. When is that coming out?
[/quote]

simonm
Head held high

Post by simonm » 27 Nov 2022 18:54

not the Norton issue, but another version of the 11 July 69 show on double vinyl recently released -