NEW VU CONTENT...

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
camforrester
Hangin' 'round

Re: NEW VU CONTENT...

Post by camforrester » 30 Nov 2022 14:17

Thanks guys! Glad you're all enjoying the series. The way I see it, an illusion of the real thing is better than nothing in lieu of anything previously unseen being unearthed/discovered!

I interviewed Martha Morrison a few weeks back for the Sterling documentary, and one of my questions to her was whether she was present at, or remembers watching the UpBeat TV performances, but sadly she was/did not. It's inconceivable to me how nobody would have thought at the time to take a photo of the band in the TV studio during their performance, so we could get a glimpse of - and potentially even recreate (think The Doors' Ed Sullivan performance in Oliver Stone's film...) - the performance. The audio that surfaced on YouTube via Lund Peterson a few years back made lament that even more! Something must be out there, even if the footage really is gone.

Anyway, in the meantime, over this weekend and next week you will have four more illusions coming to a screen near you...I'm saying nothing more than that because I don't want to spoil the surprise!

camforrester
Hangin' 'round

Post by camforrester » 04 Dec 2022 14:04

'All Tomorrow's Parties' featuring Caroline Dawson is now live everyone! 8-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhm4_eciHrE

camforrester
Hangin' 'round

Post by camforrester » 04 Dec 2022 19:15

*Re-uploaded due to technical issue!*

All Tomorrow's Parties ft. Caroline Dawson:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hJ00oiYQbQ

peppergomez
Head held high

Post by peppergomez » 04 Dec 2022 22:09

Love it. You are carrying the torch like nobody's business.

camforrester
Hangin' 'round

Post by camforrester » 04 Dec 2022 22:40

I'll be releasing one every Sunday for the next three weeks in a row; with the last one coming out on Christmas morning...I'm sure you'll guess which it is! ;)

alfredovu
Head held high

Post by alfredovu » 10 Dec 2022 11:43

Hey Cam, a quite Sat morning here so spent some good tiome on your TouTube Channel. Really enjoyed Wl/Wh & Guess. Saddly, I do not play any instrument, so you man are my hero. It is hard for me (impossible) to tell who plays what on the guitars, amaze me Sterling´s leading role in these two songs.

You are crediting Cale on Wl/Wh piano part. I would say the same but the album is crediting Reed for the task. Thoughts?

I would love to see a Sister Ray tutorial, you can do that!

Congratulations again!!

camforrester
Hangin' 'round

Post by camforrester » 11 Dec 2022 12:01

Hey Alfredo!
Thanks; I'm glad you enjoyed the content...I've just added another this morning: 'Femme Fatale': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDWf6JhLymg
Yes it can be challenging at times to differentiate who is playing which part on the guitars (and with the Gymnasium performance of Guess I'm Falling In Love, it was even hard to separate the parts from each other in places, as they merge so well together it just sounds like one really rich guitar part!)...but as a general rule, Lou's guitar tone when playing rhythm is usually darker than Sterl's brighter sound, and solo-wise it's fairly easy to tell them apart, as Lou's solo's tend to be really erratic and often atonal, with plenty of feedback, whereas Sterling's solo's are more melodic and coherent, and any use of feedback is just generally more musical.
With regards to the Lou piano part; yes another user reminded me of this a few pages back in this thread...it was an oversight, and a really silly one as I even remember reading it on the WL/WH liner notes! I was just on auto pilot after doing recordings of IWFTM and ATP, with John as the pianist in mind. It was too late to change the voiceover in the video, but I did add a little *correction* in at the top of the video description!

Sooo many people have asked me about Sister Ray, that I've actually typed a response to paste into each comment now lol:
"Sister Ray has been requested by several people now, and the more I think about it, the more my mind gets made up - I would love nothing more than to do a video on it at some stage, but I honestly don't think it's a song that one should even attempt to record in individual parts, since it relies so much on live cues, improvisation, and changes in dynamic and tempo.
The song itself doesn't really require a tutorial because it's fundamentally so simple - so indeed it would be in 'performance-only' format, like my 'A Symphony Of Sound' video - and the live improvisation aspect can't really be taught, although perhaps discussed afterwards.
I'm hoping to record a live promotional video of it when I get the tribute group together; but first I need to train-up our 'Moe' over the next few months and then get rehearsals going...we'll see!"
alfredovu wrote:
10 Dec 2022 11:43
Hey Cam, a quite Sat morning here so spent some good tiome on your TouTube Channel. Really enjoyed Wl/Wh & Guess. Saddly, I do not play any instrument, so you man are my hero. It is hard for me (impossible) to tell who plays what on the guitars, amaze me Sterling´s leading role in these two songs.

You are crediting Cale on Wl/Wh piano part. I would say the same but the album is crediting Reed for the task. Thoughts?

I would love to see a Sister Ray tutorial, you can do that!

Congratulations again!!

alfredovu
Head held high

Post by alfredovu » 12 Dec 2022 14:23

Hi Cam

Thanks a lot your reply. Sorry I did miss some of my questions had been already posted and replied!

Piano: always thought it was odd Reed getting the piano credits. We have seen shots of Lou with different guitars and even with Cale´s bass after of before Symphopny of Sound. From top of my head there is only one serie of shots (3) of Reed on a piano/organ. It is at The Trip and seems before the concert. I thought the way the piano is played drived you to that conclusion.

Sister Ray: no worries. It is easy to ask! Cannot Imagine how hard it to perfeorm that by yourselve

camforrester
Hangin' 'round

Post by camforrester » 18 Dec 2022 20:21

I remember reading that Lou received some classical training in Piano, so I was not surprised to find out that he played piano on WL/WH...I just completely forgot about it!
Don't worry, Sister Ray will materialise at some point, just give me some time 8-)

Here's the latest from earlier today:
'I'll Be Your Mirror':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTHi4D2EkNU

The final instalment (from this batch) will be uploaded Xmas morning!
alfredovu wrote:
12 Dec 2022 14:23
Hi Cam

Thanks a lot your reply. Sorry I did miss some of my questions had been already posted and replied!

Piano: always thought it was odd Reed getting the piano credits. We have seen shots of Lou with different guitars and even with Cale´s bass after of before Symphopny of Sound. From top of my head there is only one serie of shots (3) of Reed on a piano/organ. It is at The Trip and seems before the concert. I thought the way the piano is played drived you to that conclusion.

Sister Ray: no worries. It is easy to ask! Cannot Imagine how hard it to perfeorm that by yourselve

camforrester
Hangin' 'round

Post by camforrester » 24 Dec 2022 14:52

Last one of the year folks! I was going to wait until tomorrow, but what the hell...

The alternative sound of Xmas '66:
'Sunday Morning'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NamM_UdXA94

Wishing a very Merry Christmas to all!

Cam x