It was 30 years ago today - Reunion gig 1993

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
bleach
Head held high

It was 30 years ago today - Reunion gig 1993

Post by bleach » 05 Jun 2023 16:52

I can’t quite believe was 30 years ago today that i saw the VU at the Forum in London on the 5th June 1993.

They started the tour in Edinburgh a few days earlier and the Forum was probably booked as a ‘warm up’ for the next night’s gig at Wembley Arena - i was against the big box venues, which I didn’t think respected the VU vibe - so I really wanted to see them at the couple of thousand capacity venue. I actually didn’t see Luna or the VU enter the stage, i must have missed the first minute as I was drinking at the pub over the road and they came on earlier than i thought - yes shameful i know! As I entered I heard ‘We’re Gonna Have a Real Good Time Together’ I wasn’t expecting that tune at all but it sounded great, slightly ragged but It was just amazing to finally see and hear those 4 people play on stage together.

OK lets start with what I remember as the good bits - Moe and Sterling played brilliantly throughout. Moe was faultless and the power in those drums was great to hear, she is truly a machine with a big heart. Sterling played some classy lines & riffs through out although under stated, he looked surprised by the enthusiasm and seemed genuinely happy to be on stage. I was so glad that both got their recognition for the important roles they played within the band (and their payday). Moe got one of the biggest cheers of the night for ‘Afterhours’, providing one of the lighter parts of the night.

Cale was elegant and looked cool - I loved his vocals on the Nico tracks, it worked well - the pounding piano and viola parts were fantastic to hear live. I wondered before the gig how Cale would cope with the songs from the last 2 albums but he played very well switching instruments and adapting those tunes with style and ease. Cale’s persistant pounding away on the piano during ATP was one of the highlights of the night together with the menacing string slashing of ‘Venus In Furs’.

‘Hey Mr Rain’ was another tune that was great, slightly mad but all the more powerful for the chaos, Lou played some great guitar on this - this was as close to hearing that improv we love as we were going to get.

The more disappointing parts were Lou’s vocals - his phrasing and repetition of some of the lines, it didn’t work well and a few times they seemed to be Lou’s backing outfit rather than the original band, maybe some of the rough edges had been smoothed out in rehearsals under Lou’s strict control of sound.

The songs whizzed by and I pretty much got to hear what I wanted to hear - with the exception of SR and WGO. I couldn’t believe they played ‘Black Angels Death Song’ & ‘The Gift’. Maybe what I really wanted was 20 mins of 1966 improv jamming but with Lou’s control freak nature & lack of spontaneity this was never going to happen even if Cale had made soundings in the press that this was his intention with the gigs. So we ended up with a slightly more Greatest Hits side of the VU, but that was still OK with me for main part. The jokey ‘Velvet Nursery Rhyme’ - didn’t seem to fit into the evening that well and was completely throwaway. The gig ended with ’Coyote’, while exciting on the night to hear a new song, Lou did seem annoyed when we all started howling along at a loud volume!

All in all it was a great gig, maybe the ones at the start of the tour fared better than the later ones, where there were problems. Despite the mixed reviews that the tour received i'm personally glad i got to see those 4 on stage together making some noise.

During the gig I lost my friend and while waiting outside for him, I started chatting to a few fans who were gathered at the side of the venue, (maybe i met some members of this forum??) sometime later the band came out and got into a mini bus. There weren’t that many waiting so items were passed inside and they signed. I had nothing on me but my ticket so they all signed that, a fitting end and a wonderful souvenir that i’ve treasured for all these years.

falconwhit
Hangin' 'round

Re: It was 30 years ago today - Reunion gig 1993

Post by falconwhit » 05 Jun 2023 23:48

I saw the three shows at the Olympia in Paris and I completely concur w your recollections.
I spent 90% of my time watching Moe and Sterl, they were the anchor of the shows and absolutely mesmerizing. Sterl did seem to be tickled in a shy way. Moe was like a pounding machine yet always serving the songs.
John Cale was great but I'd seen him many times before so this was not such a surprise. Mr. Rain was certainly a highlight as were his renditions of the Nico songs. He also did a good job on the later tracks - acting like a rock-solid, ego-less, band mate.
As for Lou, he was cringe-inducing the entire time. His vocals and guitar playing were irritating and way too loud - it did seem like he saw himself as the star of the show w the VU as merely a backup band.

I got a chance to go backstage and meet them very briefly.
I also got my old beat-up mono/sticker banana album signed by the four of them.

dial4
Head held high

Post by dial4 » 06 Jun 2023 11:17

I saw them too, opening for U2, with three times alas before them the horrible Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine (whose "singer", believe it or not, was called Jim Morrison). Unfortunately, I was surrounded by assholes of students.

What made me sad were two things, it reminded me of Nico's death, alone in Ibiza (after Angus, it was the second member of the group who died). And then I knew they were going to, at least two of them, go back to their solo crap. Lou indeed, sang like my grandmother, in fact like on 'Growing up in public' (with your pants down uh). He wore prescription glasses and played a rotten guitar. I would have liked to see Doug too.
It would be good if we republish all the concerts recorded, in audio or video, many are no longer available, I often listen to those that are well recorded, it changes me from the infectious 1966-73 tapes (Well, we're all happy to have them, huh, but frankly...).

peppergomez
Head held high

Post by peppergomez » 07 Jun 2023 01:30

In an odd way i'm kind of glad I didn't get to see this reunion show. I agree with what you guys wrote from what i've heard of the official live album Lou basically ruins it, most notably in his complete inability or lack of caring as far as the vocals. I think i've listened to that live album only once. I'd much rather listened to bootlegs back when they were the real thing.

falconwhit
Hangin' 'round

Post by falconwhit » 07 Jun 2023 20:20

Despite my criticism of Lou's performances, it was definitely a thrill to see them. The first show was really good, despite Lou being too loud; I thought the second show was absolutely amazing (coincidently the night when he was mixed down). The last show, however, the one that was filmed, was a real letdown. They seemed tense - either because of the cameras, or because something had happened between Lou and John - there was no chemistry at all and Lou Reed was way too loud -

The live recording and video are a very poor representation of the Paris shows. The album's mix (under Lou's direction) sucked the life out of the band. I've listened to the live album maybe once - I don't think I was able to listen to the whole thing; same thing w the video.

dial4
Head held high

Post by dial4 » 07 Jun 2023 23:03

On the vid you only see Lou, like on Ladies and Gentlemen Jagger & on Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars-The Motion Picture Bowie.

threechordwonder
Head held high

Post by threechordwonder » 07 Jun 2023 23:48

Lovely recollections everyone, they are all good to read. I went to the Wembley concert; what can I say? The sound was good, Reed's vocal phrasing was surprising and Cale's keyboards on Some Kinda Love were strangely jarring. I didn't expect to hear the wild excesses of the guitar amp tapes so the slicker mature performance was quite acceptable; at the time any VU was better than no VU. Anyway, they surprised us by reforming then didn't surprise us by breaking up again.

Just a thought though. Shouldn't those of us who howled during Coyote get a credit somewhere as backing vocalists?

hkmartin
Head held high

Post by hkmartin » 08 Jun 2023 21:55

I was at the first night at the Olympia. There are things to criticize for sure, and, yes, they should have invited Doug, but I thought it was a freaking miracle that I was seeing the four of them on stage together - something I never, ever thought would happen, even after seeing Songs for Drella live. I don't listen to the live album much either, but I'm so glad I got to be there! It was the only time I've seen Sterling, and it gave me more of an appreciation of how vital he was to their sound. I loved it.

dial4
Head held high

Post by dial4 » 09 Jun 2023 09:38

Yes, thank you all for your testimonies, what undoubtedly brought us all together in 1993 was the desire to see them creative again. Which was somewhat the case with Drella, Warhol(a) = Factory = Nico = all this unconscious youth, the '90 meetings in Jouy en Josas, '92 in Paris and NYC.
Nah, because the solo albums of the 2 mentors there since 1974 (perhaps 75 for Cale), you really have to be a deadly completist to listen to them.
And then to buy them...
(I plead guilty, Lord have mercy, I have the New York box still sealed- the booklet is too big to be photocopied- no excuse but...).

peppergomez
Head held high

Post by peppergomez » 09 Jun 2023 17:48

I listen to some of Cale's solo work cause he's still interesting even if I don't always care for it. For Reed, The blue mask is the only album of his I involuntarily listen to, along with maybe half a dozen other songs over his solo career.