new-is bootleg? Chelsea Girls soundtrack

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
simonm
Head held high

new-is bootleg? Chelsea Girls soundtrack

Post by simonm » 23 Apr 2024 19:50

hi all - I came across this bootleg on eBay sold listings.

has anyone got it? is the sound ok/ better than really bad?

simonm
Head held high

Re: new-is bootleg? Chelsea Girls soundtrack

Post by simonm » 23 Apr 2024 23:06

[oops - that title should be 'new-ish bootleg" :/]

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 24 Apr 2024 13:09

Simon, I bought this a few years back. I think it's by the same people who did the Sweet Sister Ray re-boot.

It seems to be the same excerpt (even same source copy?) of Chelsea Girls that starts with a monologue (Ondine?), that is on the old 2xLP Shiny Leather In The Dark boot. And in my opinion the older one is better, although that's not really saying much. Mainly dialogue for first half then the music gets a little louder/clearer. I'm not even sure this is directly sourced from the film soundtrack
underground, overground

threechordwonder
Head held high

Post by threechordwonder » 24 Apr 2024 14:04

iaredatsun wrote:
24 Apr 2024 13:09
... then the music gets a little louder/clearer. I'm not even sure this is directly sourced from the film soundtrack
Brilliant. I've been thinking that for some time but haven't got round to posting on here. The soundtrack to the "Nico crying" reel was largely silent in the film, but ends with the 4-note repeated motif that kicks off the "Shiny Leather" music (if my memory serves me well).

So, was the music from the soundtrack or not?

Here's a link to the "Nico crying" reel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBOeTMAC09U

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 24 Apr 2024 22:50

threechordwonder wrote:
24 Apr 2024 14:04
So, was the music from the soundtrack or not?

What I meant was - was it recorded with a mic from a film-screening for inclusion on a boot?
underground, overground

simonm
Head held high

Post by simonm » 24 Apr 2024 22:54

ah, ok, nothing very new then. some of the Chelsea Girls stuff I have on CD-R sounds like it would be interesting but the sound quality is so bad that it's torture to listen to... probably a recording taped from a cinema screening as you say.

Elvis Plebsley
Head held high

Post by Elvis Plebsley » 25 Apr 2024 12:02

I have a single-screen dvd which has the music switched on for the entire Nico reel. This means it is better sound quality than either of the boots mentioned above and is not obscured by the monologue from the Pope Ondine reel. Even so, it's not exactly hi fi and unfortunately cuts out at the end of the reel, excising the titles/exit music. That remains frustratingly available only on those bootlegs and I agree that source for those is an audience recording of a screening.

threechordwonder
Head held high

Post by threechordwonder » 26 Apr 2024 21:54

iaredatsun wrote:
24 Apr 2024 22:50
What I meant was - was it recorded with a mic from a film-screening for inclusion on a boot?
Sorry, I misunderstood, maybe the hours I spent failing to find that music in the Chelsea Girls (and The Gerard Malanga Story) on YouTube still haunt me. But thanks to Elvis Plebsley's comment, I suspect the Shiny Leather music comes from the end of the Nico reel and the exit music.