VU&N Boxset reviews

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
simonm
Head held high

Re: VU&N Boxset reviews

Post by simonm » 11 Oct 2012 21:30

excellent - thanks!
I think I like the Kris Needs one best as a piece of writing about music I love obsessiveley, and it's good to know he's still around after all these years. I was a bit concerned that this set wasn't going to be a big seller, but these reviews are all super positive, so maybe it'll do ok, and more stuff will be forthcoming.

peppergomez
Head held high

Post by peppergomez » 13 Oct 2012 07:58

Has anyone heard this yet? Curious to know if the Columbus EPI show sound quality is notably better than the best sounding bootlegs like Caught Between The Twisted Stars, etc.

simonm
Head held high

Post by simonm » 13 Oct 2012 20:32

i don't think it's out until the end of the month (29 oct), but the Cleveland tape should sound as good as the excerpt/edit of Melody Laughter on the Peel Slowly set - i.e. yes - better than boots.

Sunshine

Post by Sunshine » 13 Oct 2012 23:04

"What Goes On" - 3CD Box-Set, disc one, track two: Extemporisation ("Melody Laughter"?) (8:32) - Extract from Exploding Plastic Inevitable performance Valleydale Ballroom, Columbus, Ohio, November 4, 1966.

If the the whole performance has the quality of this track, than it's maybe worth to buy the new boxset.

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 14 Oct 2012 00:32

Why do I sometimes see mention of a DVD in the set?
underground, overground

iaredatsun

Post by iaredatsun » 19 Oct 2012 02:13

Review in current Record Collector. It looked vaguely predictable so I didn't take the time to stop to read it....
underground, overground

bleach
Head held high

Post by bleach » 22 Oct 2012 22:20

A review from 'The Guardian' - 18 Oct

All the outtakes in the world can't explain the strange alchemy that went into the Velvet Underground's debut
5 out of 5

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/oc ... uxe-review

peppergomez
Head held high

Post by peppergomez » 23 Oct 2012 06:40

Yesterday's pariahs, tomorrows heroes. That seems to sum Warhol-era VU up for me. I guess that sometimes happens in art.

iaredatsun

Post by iaredatsun » 23 Oct 2012 08:31

peppergomez wrote:Yesterday's pariahs, tomorrows heroes. That seems to sum Warhol-era VU up for me. I guess that sometimes happens in art.
pepper, I agree in principle but I think they needed to be on the outside. This idea of them as pariahs or outcasts, paints them as victims and, imo, is a bit overplayed in the media and a simplified, romanticised account. Their choice to work underground or on the edge of mainstream culture was a deliberate artistic strategy - at least during the Cale/Warhol era and is not an unusual one in the arts.
underground, overground

Simon Love
Beginning to see the light

Post by Simon Love » 23 Oct 2012 11:42

bleach wrote:A review from 'The Guardian' - 18 Oct

All the outtakes in the world can't explain the strange alchemy that went into the Velvet Underground's debut
5 out of 5

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/oc ... uxe-review
What's this?

"the box set contains a different take of opening track Sunday Morning, which carries a distinct hint of the eerie, reverb-drenched atmosphere of the Flamingos' I Only Have Eyes For You or Nolan Strong and the Diablos' remarkable 1954 single The Wind"

Is this a version that's already been released?