Future 45th Anniversary Super Deluxe Editions?

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
arjan
I'm Set Free

Re: Future 45th Anniversary Super Deluxe Editions?

Post by arjan » 25 Jan 2014 19:42

threechordwonder wrote:Just get to the point please. "Pale blue smurfs" ...
That's the one :lol:

Kill Mick
Head held high

Post by Kill Mick » 25 Jan 2014 20:50

arjan wrote:
threechordwonder wrote:Just get to the point please. "Pale blue smurfs" ...
That's the one :lol:
Ooh, that's so bad... :lol:
Keep the faith

arjan
I'm Set Free

Post by arjan » 26 Jan 2014 18:11

iaredatsun wrote:Yes, or even emulate the sound of that acetate in a new mix. It's the best version. Light on the bass as on the Foggy Notion EP.
OK, letting the Smurfs rest for awhile... Just been listening to the Foggy Notion/I Can't Stand It 7" that Sundazed put out in 2012 for Record Store Day. I always assumed this was a reprise from the original 1985 promo 12" but the sound (mono mix BTW) is rather dry overall and light on the bass and drums, perhaps exactly what you wanted. Have you heard these mixes? I can't compare them to the Sundazed 6LP set versions since I haven't got those.

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 27 Jan 2014 01:05

arjan wrote:
iaredatsun wrote:Yes, or even emulate the sound of that acetate in a new mix. It's the best version. Light on the bass as on the Foggy Notion EP.
OK, letting the Smurfs rest for awhile... Just been listening to the Foggy Notion/I Can't Stand It 7" that Sundazed put out in 2012 for Record Store Day. I always assumed this was a reprise from the original 1985 promo 12" but the sound (mono mix BTW) is rather dry overall and light on the bass and drums, perhaps exactly what you wanted. Have you heard these mixes? I can't compare them to the Sundazed 6LP set versions since I haven't got those.
arjan,

I have that single. At the time I was a bit disappointed that it was edited. I hadn't actually realised it was mono. I'll give it a listen and see if I can hear what you describe. I have a rip of the Sundazed LP set. In fact there are two: Leaman's and pbthal's. What a difference ? leaman's is dry while pbthal's is bigger in the bass area. That is to do with pbthal's VPI turntable/cart which has an emphatic bass response. I'd like to hear the original 1969 LP on my own deck if I could get a copy.

Yes. The single is nice. Both have similar dry drum sound but the pbthal rip of the Sundazed 1969 LP version has much more (over) emphasis on the bass. I actually prefer the single - guitar more upfront, more focussed more punch.
underground, overground

Falling Spike

Post by Falling Spike » 23 Apr 2014 14:22

I'd like to revive this thread. Anybody any news on the self-titled 45th anniversary release?
I hope the owner of matrix tapes gets a deal with universal. Isn't there a way to crowd-fund the matrix tapes? If we know how much he want's we can put it on kickstarter ... just an idea :)

Mark
Head held high

Post by Mark » 23 Apr 2014 20:37

Well, the s/t album was released in March 1969 so I guess the 45th anniversary has come and gone.
8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

dial4
Head held high

Post by dial4 » 23 Apr 2014 20:57

It's possible that it could came out for end of the year. The sdb Matrix tapes would be a welcome addition.

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 23 Apr 2014 23:31

Mark wrote:Well, the s/t album was released in March 1969 so I guess the 45th anniversary has come and gone.
But were the other two 45ths released to sync with the original release months?
underground, overground

Post by #37 » 24 Apr 2014 03:01

Hello all. It's my very first post here. Got the 2 disc deluxe WLWH a month ago and was blown away. Got the super deluxe VU&N 3 days ago (38 bucks for a used mint condition from Amazon Warehouse Deals) and was just slightly less blown away. Still worth every penny at 3 times the price. Can't wait for the super deluxe third album package. I personally am hoping for an all remastered 3 disc set with 1) the VV mix and singles, 2) Lou's closet mix and maybe a few alternate versions and 3) all the remaining cuts from the VU & Another View albums with the same quality remixes and remastering as the John Cale VU/Another View cuts received on the WLWH anniversary set. I am sure they would all fit on one disc. Why do we need any more live material from '69? If the Velvet Underground Partnership (or whatever they call it) really has sole ownership of the Matrix tapes now like I've heard, clean 'um up best you can and re-release the Live 1969 set with some extra tracks or something. Don't put them on the third album set and make a 5 or 6 disc set when 3 is really all that is needed.
I'm written in her book.

Post by #37 » 24 Apr 2014 03:06

Hello all. It's my very first post here. Got the 2 disc deluxe WLWH a month ago and was blown away. Got the super deluxe VU&N 3 days ago (38 bucks for a used mint condition from Amazon Warehouse Deals) and was just slightly less blown away. Still worth every penny at 3 times the price. Can't wait for the super deluxe third album package. I personally am hoping for an all remastered 3 disc set with 1) the VV mix and singles, 2) Lou's closet mix and maybe a few alternate versions and 3) all the remaining cuts from the VU & Another View albums with the same quality remixes and remastering as the John Cale VU/Another View cuts received on the WLWH anniversary set. I am sure they would all fit on one disc. Why do we need any more live material from '69? If the Velvet Underground Partnership (or whatever they call it) really has sole ownership of the Matrix tapes now like I've heard, clean 'um up best you can and re-release the Live 1969 set with some extra tracks or something. Don't put them on the third album set and make a 5 or 6 disc set when 3 is really all that is needed.
I'm written in her book.