Max's deluxe - worrying news

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
jimjim
Head held high

Max's deluxe - worrying news

Post by jimjim » 09 Jun 2004 11:02

Just spotted this update on Olivier's website... :(

LIVE AT MAX'S KANSAS CITY (Deluxe Edition)
2CD, Atlantic/Rhino Records, USA, June 2004

Second Advance CDR edition - with rehearsal tracks edited out. Disc 2 has the Atlantic Records promo spot as unlisted 11th track.

Disc 1: 1. I'm Waiting For The Man / 2. White Light/White Heat / 3. I'm Set Free / 4. Sweet Jane (Version 1) / 5. Lonesome Cowboy Bill (Version 1) / 6. New Age / 7. Beginning To See The Light.

Disc 2: 1. Who Loves The Sun / 2. Sweet Jane (Version 2) / 3. I'll Be Your Mirror / 4. Pale Blue Eyes / 5. Candy Says / 6. Sunday Morning / 7. After Hours / 8. Femme Fatale / 9. Some Kinda Love / 10. Lonesome Cowboy Bill (Version 2).

Mmmm...it seems someone's lawyers have stepped in and meddled. What's the point of buying now it if you already have Flowers of Evil? :evil:
"If anyone had a heart
They wouldn't turn around & break it
And if anyone played a part
They wouldn't turn around & fake it"
Lou Reed, 'Sweet Jane', 1970

Mark
Head held high

Post by Mark » 09 Jun 2004 18:34

Maybe it was the lawyers, maybe the tracks were cut for artistic reasons. The rehearsal tracks are fascinating and have plenty of magic moments, but they do sound pretty rough and could well be put in the box marked 'for diehards only'.

I'm not saying this is neccessarily a good reason, especially as the diehards are exactly the people who this set is aimed at in the first place. What's more, we now have two discs with a total running time of ~89 minutes out of a possible 160... rather stingy, that.

Two other hypotheses:

1. They're saving the rehearsal tracks for a second volume: Disc 1 - the Joseph Freeman tapes, Disc 2 - the complete rehearsal.

2. The rehearsal tracks have been dropped because, iirc, the ones that were to be included (was it Who Loves The Sun and Cool It Down) don't actually feature Lou.
8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

Technophallus
Hangin' 'round

Post by Technophallus » 10 Jun 2004 06:43

Can this be changed?