Rock n Roll MP3 by the Underground Velvets

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
Doctor Bob
Head held high

Rock n Roll MP3 by the Underground Velvets

Post by Doctor Bob » 14 Jun 2004 03:32

Hi Guys

Some of you may recall from the Yellow Forum that I was putting together a Covers Band for the Velvet Underground because I liked the idea that you could walk into a bar or club and hear a band playing a whole set of Velvets material-so I decided to do it myself.

I've got an MP3 on the web that I'd like you guys to check out if you have a couple minutes to spare-and then do post a message to tell me whether you think its good or crap...honest opinions would be really appreciated, I could really do with some constructive criticism before we start gigging in August.

I really value your opinions as many of the people on this forum are world authorities on the VU and it would be great to get some feedback from people who are so knowledgeable.

The MP3 online is Rock n Roll and its on the great VU covers website run by Steve who was P-Dog in the Yellow Forum (dont know his username on this one). The URL is http://www.vucovers.cjb.net and then click on 'The Music' and then keep clicking 'Next' till you get to 'Rock n Roll' by the Underground Velvets. Let me know what you think!

Bob

Chance
Head held high

Post by Chance » 14 Jun 2004 19:18

I'm not on the home computer at the moment, so I can't listen, but I think what you're doing is great. From what I recall, you're in England, no? I'd love to go see a truly dedicated Velvet cover band, but I'm on the wrong side of the pond. You'd think NYC would have a few good ones, but I haven't heard of any. Anyway, the website as a whole seems very worthwhile to check out, thanks for the link.

I'll get back to you on the music. One thought I have, without having heard anything, is that "Rock And Roll" is a fairly conventional song to play. (Which is probably a good place to start.) To really test your mettle, though, I'd wouldn't mind hearing how you approach the more experimental stuff. But thumbs up on your efforts, I don't mean to seem negative.
"For one human being to love another: that is perhaps the most difficult of all our tasks; the ultimate, the last test and proof, the work for which all other work is but preparation." - Rainer Maria Rilke

alfredovu
Head held high

Post by alfredovu » 14 Jun 2004 19:40

HI BOB,
CONGRATS YOU DID A GREAT JOB. EVEN WHEN ROCK AND ROLL IS NOT ONE OF MY FABS, YOU & YOUR BAND DID A NICE 1993 STYLE RENDITION OF THE SONG.
I LIKE A LOT THE BASS LINE AND THE SINGING SOUNDS TO ME "PERSONAL", I MEAN, NOT TRYING TO MATCH LOU´S VOICE AT ALL.
I WOULD LIKE THE RYTHM GUITAR NO SO PROMINENT ON THE MIX. THE SOLOS ARE GOOD TOO (VERY 93)
KEEP DOING THAT