VU Photo Thread

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
bradski
Head held high

Re: VU Photo Thread

Post by bradski » 15 Mar 2017 11:41

Looks like a piano behind Cale. Surely they wouldn't put Moe behind there?? It's a bit of a mystery. Did they ever play w/o Moe during this period?

Yes .... great shots!!
any sounds that we feel would detract from the performance has been left in place

alfredovu
Head held high

Post by alfredovu » 15 Mar 2017 13:54

NO WORDS!!!

Notice Sterl with the Vox Ostrich Gtr.

Fabulous Open Stage shoots

Thnsk so much

bleach
Head held high

Post by bleach » 15 Mar 2017 16:58

Thanks bradski, classic images. What a great 50th VU&Nico Bday gift! Just goes to show even after this all this time fantastic images of the band are still to be discovered.

Is the girl on stage dancing Jill Johnston? She used to wear a head band and have that same hairstyle..

DavidH
Head held high

Post by DavidH » 15 Mar 2017 21:00

Wonderful photos! Thanks Bradski 8-)

Having said that, what a shitty venue! It looks like a hall at a particularly sketchy high school.

taxine
Head held high

Post by taxine » 16 Mar 2017 12:38

Here is the whole set of pictures from that awesome night ENJOY:

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2017/0 ... -X272.html

Olivier site:

20th anniversary party for George Plimpton's The Paris Review
Steve Nelson: "I first saw them in April 1966 at the 20th anniversary party for George Plimpton's The Paris Review at The Village Gate in NYC. A lot of bands played all evening, and The Velvets were the last to come on, with Nico, and Gerard Malanga doing the whip dance. I never heard them introduced (if they were) and had no idea who they were, but I was totally blown away. There were a lot of celebrities at that event, and when Frank Sinatra came downstairs where The Velvets were playing, he took one look at them, and turned right around and went back upstairs."
But there are no stars in New York sky, they're all on the ground.
This is the place where she lay her head when she went to bed at night....

bobbydriver
On the wild side

Post by bobbydriver » 16 Mar 2017 14:06

You’d think if Mo wasn’t there at all then someone would have remembered it was Mo-less gig?

You can see drums stacked at the back, which you'd think they wouldn’t have bothered loading in if Mo wasn’t there.

From the chord shapes that Lou and Sterl are holding I’d say they are doing I’ll Be Your Mirror, so no Mo necessary on that one

Great photos which are odd to see with them playing on a stage like that with no lighting

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 16 Mar 2017 21:28

bobbydriver wrote:You’d think if Mo wasn’t there at all then someone would have remembered it was Mo-less gig?

You can see drums stacked at the back, which you'd think they wouldn’t have bothered loading in if Mo wasn’t there.

From the chord shapes that Lou and Sterl are holding I’d say they are doing I’ll Be Your Mirror, so no Mo necessary on that one

Great photos which are odd to see with them playing on a stage like that with no lighting

You can see Mo in one of the photos, if you follow the link.

Thanks for the posting photos, Bradski, and the link to more, taxine!
underground, overground

Sheila Klein
Head held high

Post by Sheila Klein » 16 Mar 2017 22:08

Olivier site:
20th anniversary party for George Plimpton's The Paris Review
Steve Nelson: "I first saw them in April 1966 at the 20th anniversary party for George Plimpton's The Paris Review at The Village Gate in NYC.
Are you suggesting that these pix might've been from the Village Gate show, rather than the Dom?

taxine
Head held high

Post by taxine » 17 Mar 2017 11:23

Yeah,thank you for clarification dear Phil,I was blinded due the excitement of the new pictures,as Alfredo said on a prior post,the venue was The Open Stage,New York (April 1 April 30,1966).
bradski wrote:Looks like a piano behind Cale. Surely they wouldn't put Moe behind there?? It's a bit of a mystery. Did they ever play w/o Moe during this period?
That's true Bradski,there's a chair and a piano behind Cale.....poor Moe just was out of the frame !!
But there are no stars in New York sky, they're all on the ground.
This is the place where she lay her head when she went to bed at night....

Sheila Klein
Head held high

Post by Sheila Klein » 17 Mar 2017 18:13

The band is undeniably the VU, but the performance does not seem like that of the EPI. Where's the multimedia?

The NY Times in 2017 says this was a Dom show, but they offer no evidence other than the claim itself. Frankly I'm skeptical that this is a Dom/EPI show.