Norman Dolph acetate goes up for auction today on Ebay

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
wornhill

Norman Dolph acetate goes up for auction today on Ebay

Post by wornhill » 29 Nov 2006 04:43

Just wanted to let anybody that was interested that the Norman Dolph acetate of the Velvet's original session is going up today for auction on Ebay. The seller's id is vinyl and it is a 10 day no reserve auction with a starting bid of 99 cents.

GroovyMusic
On Another PlaNET

Post by GroovyMusic » 29 Nov 2006 05:09

You didn't give us a link and it didn't come up in an eBay search so I'm guessing it's not up yet...

sars
Head held high

Post by sars » 29 Nov 2006 08:40

not up yet, here's his/her ebay page: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZvinylQQhtZ-1

wasn't this supposed to be, like, one of the most expensive recordings ever? ($40,000 or something like that.) why would something that valuable be sold on ebay? and where did that japanese boot that was supposedly the N Dolph acetate come from? Too many mysteries.
بلادي بلادي الطيبة موسوع

GroovyMusic
On Another PlaNET

Post by GroovyMusic » 29 Nov 2006 08:46

The auction's up now: http://cgi.ebay.com/VELVET-UNDERGROUND- ... dZViewItem

I feel pretty special to be a fan of the band with "ARGUABLY THE RAREST & MOST IMPORTANT ROCK 'N' ROLL AND POP-ART ARTIFACT IN THE WORLD" :D
Last edited by GroovyMusic on 29 Nov 2006 10:57, edited 6 times in total.

GroovyMusic
On Another PlaNET

Post by GroovyMusic » 29 Nov 2006 08:49

sars wrote:and where did that japanese boot that was supposedly the N Dolph acetate come from?
"Supposedly"!? That IS The Norman Dolph Acetate. The question is how did Nothing Songs obtain that transfer?
sars wrote:wasn't this supposed to be, like, one of the most expensive recordings ever?* ($40,000 or something like that.) why would something that valuable be sold on ebay?
"We got an offer right away for $10,000, but we turned it down." It now seems possible that the record will become the most expensive ever sold in the USA*, exceeding the sale of Bob Dylan's Blonde on Blonde acetate and topping $40,000.

http://www.velvetforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=

*Ever sold in the USA! :wink:

bleach
Head held high

Post by bleach » 29 Nov 2006 10:51

I think we should start another thread and everyone should have a guess at the price that it will close at...

Although it might get pulled if someone makes them a really serious offer.

GroovyMusic
On Another PlaNET

Post by GroovyMusic » 29 Nov 2006 10:56

bleach wrote:Although it might get pulled if someone makes them a really serious offer.
If!?

gordon

Post by gordon » 29 Nov 2006 13:06

It's my educated guess that the source of the material for the "Nothing Songs" release was in fact a number of acetates which were in Moe Tucker's personal collection. When the Dolph acetate showed up, the people who had tape copies of Moe's acetetes realised that they had to "cash in" and release them quickly before the Dolph version "hit the streets".

I assure you it wouldn't be the first time that tasty VU material has been "sat on" until extenuating circumstances forced it's circulation before it became "worthless" in bootleggers terms

(But maybe I'm just a cynic.....)

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 29 Nov 2006 20:28

gordon wrote:It's my educated guess that the source of the material for the "Nothing Songs" release was in fact a number of acetates which were in Moe Tucker's personal collection.
This idea is what I thought when I first played it. It might explain the wierd breaks between tracks which even the most careless bootlegger could have got right if it had been copied from a single LP acetate. I don't get the idea that Nothings Songs people are exactly that careless in their work. Also the track running is different and weren't there people saying that the quality of the CD boot was worse then the Dolph acetate?

I just found a 'dolph' acetate listed on bitenova. What is that? The Nothing Songs CD boot renamed?
underground, overground

GroovyMusic
On Another PlaNET

Post by GroovyMusic » 29 Nov 2006 20:31

iaredatsun wrote:The Nothing Songs CD boot renamed?
Yeah, or the SAMPLER from the very sellers of this auction that was bootlegged as a bonus CD with The Warhol Tapes