Suggestion: Take One / Leave One CD-R exchange

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
simonm
Head held high

Suggestion: Take One / Leave One CD-R exchange

Post by simonm » 09 Mar 2004 14:53

This is an idea from the Dylanpool forum, instant bootleg philanthropy. We'll see how far we get. You need to have at least one CD-R bootleg to start with.

How it works
At any time, there is always a boot that's up for grabs in the TO/LO thread. The person who takes it leaves something for the next person.

Rules:

You can only take what's being offered in the most recent message -- ie the one at the bottom of the thread.
When you take discs, email your mailing address to the person who left them.

Offer a few CDs in return if you have them; more obscure ones will obviously go better.

The CD-Rs that you leave must be tradeable, and not be commercially available -- they must not have any digital glitches, MP3 source, etc. If a flawed show is the only version available, flaws should be noted.

Anyone in the world is allowed to take the discs you leave. You must be prepared to send to international destinations.

You must allow your email address to be visible to listmembers, so that your trading partner can contact you, or use the Personal Message functionality.

Guidelines to follow:
After you leave your discs, check back to see how your offer is doing. If nobody's interested after a day or two, you should try offering something else.

If you've spent 5 minutes looking over a trade list, refresh the "TO/LO" thread before posting -- things can move quickly, and someone may have beaten you to it.

Don't post messages which could be handled over email. For example, rather than posting a message asking for someone's mailing address, email them about it.

If you have to post a message in which you don't take or leave anything, please re-state what's currently being offered and who offered it. This will make things less confusing.

see how it works in practise: http://pool.dylantree.com/tolo.php

I post saying

"I offer Ultra Rare Trax vol 4"

you post saying

"I take
Ultra Rare Trax 4

and leave
Wild Side Of The Street"

I send you the CD as an act of charitya, and to make the world a more VU-centric place.

then someone else claims WSOTS from you and offers something else to the next person and it hopefully carries on.

One potential prob is there are a limited number of VU boots - maybe we could include John & Lou solo stuff if there's interest.
We could also change the rules so that other bands etc are allowed but you must take OR leave a VU item, so at least every other thing will be VU.

What do you think?

Not enough people or boots to make it work?

Dunno, but I could offer the first item to be claimed if we want to try it.

Homme Fatale
Head held high

Post by Homme Fatale » 10 Mar 2004 13:17

I think this is a sweet idea as long as everybody understands that they're on their own; The Velvet Forum (ie. me and ferges) do not accept any kind of personal responsibility for any "deals" made on this board.

Of course, I trust everyone does understand that, but I had to say it - just in case...
Last edited by Homme Fatale on 23 Mar 2004 09:18, edited 2 times in total.

simonm
Head held high

Post by simonm » 13 Mar 2004 20:15

ok - so this obviously won't work yet - I may suggest it again sometime in the future

Chance
Head held high

Post by Chance » 22 Mar 2004 06:04

Okay, just so we understand, you're saying that the person "leaving" the disc should expect nothing in return from the person "taking" the disc. It's not a trade, just a friendly gift, right? I like it, nice idea, nice way to build a sense of community and comradery for the forum.

Let me start it off in a real good way, what I consider the best Velvet bootleg of all: Caught Between The Twisted Stars. 4 discs, no strings; the person who takes this is NOT obligated to leave 4 discs for the next round, 1 is fine. After you claim this, private message me.

I LEAVE "CAUGHT BETWEEN THE TWISTED STARS"
"For one human being to love another: that is perhaps the most difficult of all our tasks; the ultimate, the last test and proof, the work for which all other work is but preparation." - Rainer Maria Rilke

velvi$
Hangin' 'round

Post by velvi$ » 22 Mar 2004 12:35

OK Let's get this thing going:

I Claim "CAUGHT BETWEEN THE TWISTED STARS"

I Leave "BOSTON TEA PARTY 12 DEC 1968 2CD"

(CD1 Heroin / Move Right In / WFTM / I'm Set Free / Foggy Notion / Beginning To See The Light / Candy Says CD2 WLWH / Jesus/ Sister Ray / Pale Blue Eyes)

Who Loves the Bun

Chance
Head held high

Post by Chance » 22 Mar 2004 23:31

Hate to hog the board, but I'm gonna grab that! :D

I claim "BOSTON TEA PARTY 12 DEC 1968 2CD"

I leave "SWEET SISTER RAY'S MURDER MYSTERY" (sourced from original, not CD-R)
"For one human being to love another: that is perhaps the most difficult of all our tasks; the ultimate, the last test and proof, the work for which all other work is but preparation." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Homme Fatale
Head held high

Post by Homme Fatale » 23 Mar 2004 09:19

Wow... Why did I have to miss the first two...?!

Chance
Head held high

Post by Chance » 28 Mar 2004 22:11

Alrighty, nobody seems to want "Sweet Sister Ray's Murder Mystery."

Howz about this:

I leave THE FIRST NIGHT.

thekiddrinkingfire

Post by thekiddrinkingfire » 05 May 2004 10:31

I wouldn't mind "Sweet Sister Ray's Murder Mystery." If that's allowed?

If so I leave: Live At End Cole Avenue (2CD)

tikky
Beginning to see the light

Post by tikky » 29 May 2004 21:18

I'll leave boston tea party 12/12/68 in flac (1cd)