Loop

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
Kill Mick
Head held high

Loop

Post by Kill Mick » 10 Jul 2004 19:13

Ok, I've got two copies of Loop, one from 'And So On' and one from 'A Walk With...'. Both are clearly from the same original source recording, and both start and end at the same point. However, the first one clocks in at about 7.12 and the second about 6.49 - the first obviously played slower than the second when originally mastered.

Anybody any idea which is the correct speed and length?!
Keep the faith

simonm
Head held high

Post by simonm » 10 Jul 2004 20:25

Hi again - less controversy on this one I think. The flexi is credited as being the "first half of a 15-minute recording", so I guess it's the 7.12.

From what I remember the And So On version is the best quality version that I have, but its still crackly and taken from an obviously not great condition flexi. Is there anyone who has a CD copy from a superior condition flexi?? This is about the last holy grail VU rarity for me, that I don't expect to ever find for what I think is a reasonable sum, so a digitised version emailed to the Yahoo mail accont would be great.

Another point - my original interpretation of the "first half" credit was that the second half is just the flexi repeated again - is that what anyone else thinks? Reading it afresh now I don't know if that sounds right.

Elvis Plebsley
Head held high

Post by Elvis Plebsley » 11 Jul 2004 17:45

Hi Simon,

I assume that it means that Cale's original recording was 15 minutes long, but they only used the first half for the flexi.

alfredovu
Head held high

Post by alfredovu » 11 Jul 2004 17:51

simonm wrote:
Is there anyone who has a CD copy from a superior condition flexi?? .
HI SIMON.

HAVE YOU TRIED THIS?

http://www.ubu.com/aspen/aspen3/audio3.html

FRANKLY I HAVE NOT CHEKED OUT THE QUALITY.
ALFREDO

simonm
Head held high

Post by simonm » 11 Jul 2004 20:09

Elvis Plebsley wrote: I assume that it means that Cale's original recording was 15 minutes long, but they only used the first half for the flexi.
Hi Rob - this was my conclusion too after thinking about it, but my original perception has a certain perverseness that wouldn't have been out of place either!

and Alfredo, thanks - the ubuweb mp3 of Loop isn't very good quality, but it's good being able to hear it on demand like that.

Post by Guest » 12 Jul 2004 13:30

hi Simon, I think there was a copy of Loop on that "22 demos" tape I sent you a while back - I seem to remember it wasn't that bad in quality terms......Gordon

radiofreesimulacrum
On the wild side

Post by radiofreesimulacrum » 12 Jul 2004 16:01

on the aspen site it mentions that the flexi of loop ends in a locked groove and that it actually goes on infinily but for the audio file they allow it to go for approximently 45 seconds. this could accont for time variations. also could it be possible that the second half was just arepeating of the end for another 7:15?

olandem
Hangin' 'round

Post by olandem » 12 Jul 2004 22:48

"final groove purposely left open" as stated on flexi...

I've checked out different versions I have of "Loop" including the original Aspen flexi and here are my findings:

- original flexi: played at the exact 33 1/3 RPM speed as stated on label, the "final groove" begins at 6:30.

- "And So On" LP: 6:49 long, the "final groove" begins at 6:30. Fades out with the final groove played 10 times.

- "Everything You've Ever Heard About" 3-LP: abruptly cut at 4:27...

- "Ultra Rare Trax Vol. 3" CD: 7:18 long, the "final groove" begins at 6:55. Fades out with final groove played ten times as well. So that one seems too slow as compared with the original.

- "A Walk With..." 5-CD: 6:49 long, the "final groove" begins at 6:30. It fades out exactly the same way as the "And So On" version, which could be the source. This version sounds as heavily cleaned (at least de-clicked) with audio software.

- "The Velvet Underground And Nico Mono-Version" CD: 6:45 long, the final groove begins at 6:30. Fades out with 8 final grooves. And sounds too much "cleaned" as well.

- "UBU's Aspen" mp3: 7:15 long, no fade out, the "final groove" begins around 6:28.

Mark
Head held high

Post by Mark » 13 Jul 2004 00:37

Nice work Olivier!

So which is the best quality version (apart from the original flexi)? And So On? Or Ultra Rare Trax (barring the speed problem)?
8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

jimjim
Head held high

Post by jimjim » 13 Jul 2004 10:38

The best quality version I know of is on the 'Searching For My Mainline' CD re-issue. Sounds like a direct transfer from the original disc - really clean, instruments(s) are clear and sharp, doesn't immediately sound like its taken from a 7' single...until you hear the pops.

Downside is...its only an extract. The tracks about 3-4 minutes long. Shame.
"If anyone had a heart
They wouldn't turn around & break it
And if anyone played a part
They wouldn't turn around & fake it"
Lou Reed, 'Sweet Jane', 1970