3rd Album Deluxe - Bill Levenson drops a hint?

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
jimjim
Head held high

3rd Album Deluxe - Bill Levenson drops a hint?

Post by jimjim » 05 Aug 2014 23:16

My buddies at the Hoffman forum have dropped a hint that the 3rd Album deluxe may be a reality. Bill Levenson on his FB page has posted a pic of the 3rd album giving some only tease-y, vague comments as to why. Judging from his FB page, he doesn't post pics very often and the last few reveal an interesting trend: he posted Allman Bros' At The Fillmore East a few months back (released as a deluxe edition this week) and White Light/White Heat in October last year (well, we all know what happened there). Should we start to get excited and speculate?

https://www.facebook.com/bill.levenson?fref=ts

I've already posted my take on what I'd love to see:
My ideal mix:

Disc 1 - Closet Mix
Disc 2 - Valentin Mix
Spread the mono 7" mixes & other alternate mixes (from Moe's oft bootlegged acetate) across both discs

Disc 3 - "The Lost 4th Album"
Using the previously unreleased rough mixes, not the 1980s remix

Disc 4 - Outtakes, demos & lost songs
Hopefully this could be a final outlet for studio or demo versions of lost VU songs like 'Lonely Saturday Night', 'Just Too Much' 'Sweet Bonnie Brown', 'Over You', 'Follow The Leader', 'If I Tell You', 'Sweet and 20' and the fabled 'Lonesome Cowboy' (not the same one on Loaded).

Discs 5 & 6 - Live at the Boston Tea Party
Rather than go for the existing Live 1969 shows (save that for another box set!), roll out 2 shows from their legendary times at the BTP! These were readied for the abandoned Bootleg series so it seems more than likely these will be a goer. They were leaked a few years back and man, the upgrade in sound is astonishing. I'd go for the Guitar Amp tape. For all its faults (the vocals are buried), the sound is gigantic and is the best representation of the band frenetic live sound that year.
"If anyone had a heart
They wouldn't turn around & break it
And if anyone played a part
They wouldn't turn around & fake it"
Lou Reed, 'Sweet Jane', 1970

jimjim
Head held high

Re: 3rd Album Deluxe - Bill Levenson drops a hint?

Post by jimjim » 06 Aug 2014 23:22

Blimey...no-one is excited here? :shock:
"If anyone had a heart
They wouldn't turn around & break it
And if anyone played a part
They wouldn't turn around & fake it"
Lou Reed, 'Sweet Jane', 1970

rnranimal
Head held high

Post by rnranimal » 06 Aug 2014 23:57

jimjim wrote:Blimey...no-one is excited here? :shock:
I'm reserving my excitement til will have more info, like at least a track list.

It has been stated that the 4th album rough mixes don't exist in high quality. New, well done, mixes would be the way to go. I think this material should be released on it's own, but if it's done right, I don't care what they pair it with.

I could be wrong, but I am not aware of the Bootleg Series masterings being leaked. Are you sure you don't mean the Professor Tapes set? I believe those were from tape copies of the original masters, not anything to do with Universal's copies. I'm just going by memory, so if I'm wrong, please correct me.

I personally would love to hear an upgrade (preferably from the master) of the La Cave '68 tape over any BTP. The Guitar Amp Tape being least. An interesting curiosity, but not something I really care to listen to multiple times. Even an upgrade. Whatever they do, I hope they don't just grab one of the circulating bootlegs as their source. I'm tired of that shit.

Mark
Head held high

Post by Mark » 07 Aug 2014 01:41

As above - I'll get excited when there's something to get excited about. Ie not just a rehash of stuff we already have. A complete high quality La Cave would indeed be great.
8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 07 Aug 2014 12:43

Mark wrote:As above - I'll get excited when there's something to get excited about. Ie not just a rehash of stuff we already have. A complete high quality La Cave would indeed be great.
It's hard to see what they can do with this. We have versions of 3rd that are probably hard to improve on mastering-wise.
Are there outtakes? All the live stuff from the era has already been booted.

As has been expressed above, the only thing I can think of that would interest me is a sympathetic (dry) remix of the 4th album material.
And the inclusion of Ferryboat Bill, this time, please. But would I buy another shelf-filling huge box-book for that?

But hopefully UMG will surprise us.

I will ask someone if there is a release date, yet.
underground, overground

bobbydriver
On the wild side

Post by bobbydriver » 07 Aug 2014 17:26

I'm excited if no one else is. Whatever they do, it has to be worthwhile and have some unreleased stuff to make it sell in any quantity. They can't just recycle the Banana boxset contents again

Surely the best quality unreleased stuff from this era is the SF Matrix tapes which were teased last year. They sounded incredible.

I hope that Lou was involved in the planning before he passed. I guess DY wouldn't have been involved, but you never know

nkdlunch
On the wild side

Post by nkdlunch » 07 Aug 2014 22:11

Didn't Alfredo mention a while back that he was contacted by UMG about helping with this?

Chris M
On the wild side

Post by Chris M » 08 Aug 2014 05:30

iaredatsun wrote:It's hard to see what they can do with this. We have versions of 3rd that are probably hard to improve on mastering-wise.
Are there outtakes?
Yes, per Bill Levenson the session reels for the 3rd LP do exist. No unreleased songs but lots of alternate versions.

velvetfan
Head held high

Post by velvetfan » 09 Aug 2014 06:03

I can't say anything more than Yes, it is going to be released. No more info, yet. :)

Mark
Head held high

Post by Mark » 09 Aug 2014 10:18

I heard there's going to be a special version called "3rd Album Re-Loaded", with all the middle 8s edited out and the drums on every track redone by Bill Yule.
8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1