3rd Album Deluxe - Bill Levenson drops a hint?

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
Kill Mick
Head held high

Re: 3rd Album Deluxe - Bill Levenson drops a hint?

Post by Kill Mick » 19 Dec 2014 13:55

The mono version uses the Closet mix, yes? It ceratinly has the Closet version of Some Kinda Love.

Maybe there was a second version of the Valentin mix done after the Closet mix, as suggested earleir in this thread, and that's the verions that was released? That would explain the dating of the mixes.
Keep the faith

bobbydriver
On the wild side

Post by bobbydriver » 19 Dec 2014 16:48

Kill Mick wrote:The mono version uses the Closet mix, yes? It ceratinly has the Closet version of Some Kinda Love.
Yup - further proof is that the Mono Mix also has the same reverb appear on the final acapella "jesus" at the end of..er.. Jesus, as on the Closet mix

The Valentin mix has it completely dry

I was wondering about a second Valentin mix myself. I A-Bed the new Valentin mix with my old 1985 issue CD http://www.discogs.com/Velvet-Undergrou ... ase/587968 and it sounds different in places. Although it could just be that the remastering process brought out more frequencies - but as an example the first note of Candy Says the bass guitar is barely audible whereas on the new Valentin mix it's clear as day and seems much higher in the mix. Beginning To See The Light also sounds like it has a more prominent acoustic guitar. And at least one of the tracks (can't remember off the top of my head) has a shorter fade than the new V mix

Sheila Klein
Head held high

Post by Sheila Klein » 19 Dec 2014 18:32

bobbydriver wrote:... if the single edit was truly playing faster then it would be pitched slightly higher - and it isn't. Which I assume means that the speed difference has been digitally introduced and they've retained the original pitch.
For the record, the difference in pitch over that small a difference in duration is so tiny -- less than 0.4% -- that not a whole lot of people in the world would be able to detect it audially. Not even Stevie Wonder!

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 19 Dec 2014 22:52

Sheila Klein wrote:
bobbydriver wrote:For the record, the difference in pitch over that small a difference in duration is so tiny -- less than 0.4% -- that not a whole lot of people in the world would be able to detect it audially. Not even Stevie Wonder!
I'm inclined to agree but we should get Stevie in to confirm. I didn't know he was a VU fan - that's good news.

Has anyone folded the stereo Closet to see if it matches the mono Closet?
underground, overground

Sheila Klein
Head held high

Post by Sheila Klein » 19 Dec 2014 23:24

I'm inclined to agree but we should get Stevie in to confirm. I didn't know he was a VU fan - that's good news.
He used to be, but he found the third album too soft and gave up on them.

For those wanting to see what Val Valentin looked like, I've posted a pic of him, in a recording studio around the time of the making of the third album. Could he possibly have gone from working on Sammy Davis's "Candy Man" directly to (re)mixing the VU?

http://fineprintheroes.com/main.php?g2_itemId=2898

--Phil M.

lurid
Head held high

Post by lurid » 20 Dec 2014 23:08

thanks for that Phil - I'd never seen a pic of him before.

I don't think he was ever interviewed about his work with the VU, was he? A real pity.
Sheila Klein wrote:
For those wanting to see what Val Valentin looked like, I've posted a pic of him, in a recording studio around the time of the making of the third album. Could he possibly have gone from working on Sammy Davis's "Candy Man" directly to (re)mixing the VU?

http://fineprintheroes.com/main.php?g2_itemId=2898

--Phil M.

bobbydriver
On the wild side

Post by bobbydriver » 23 Jan 2015 10:15

I guess it's a fair to say that it's very unlikely that we will get a deluxe Loaded box to match the first 3 albums on account of

1) it not being owned by Universal and

2) Rhino already doing a "Fully Loaded" set in 1997 with most everything included (is it still in print?)

but it would be great to have it presented the same way. What else could they include though? (and no one say a fake mono fold-down :D )

lurid
Head held high

Post by lurid » 23 Jan 2015 13:36

but there was a 1970 mono mix issued at the time as a promo - they wouldn't even need to fake it

But I agree - we're unlikely to see a Loaded deluxe for the reasons you state
bobbydriver wrote:I guess it's a fair to say that it's very unlikely that we will get a deluxe Loaded box to match the first 3 albums on account of

2) Rhino already doing a "Fully Loaded" set in 1997 with most everything included (is it still in print?)

but it would be great to have it presented the same way. What else could they include though? (and no one say a fake mono fold-down :D )

searchin4mymainline
On the wild side

Post by searchin4mymainline » 24 Jan 2015 01:47

bobbydriver wrote:I guess it's a fair to say that it's very unlikely that we will get a deluxe Loaded box to match the first 3 albums on account of

"Peel Slowly And See" licenced Loaded for inclusion, so couldn't Universal do something similar again and licence Loaded for a 45th anniversary edition to complete the set? They could also include the rest of the Matrix tracks on the release, and perhaps the Joseph Freeman Max's tape. I wouldn't be too surprised if something like this is planned.

Elvis Plebsley
Head held high

Post by Elvis Plebsley » 24 Jan 2015 11:53

I hope they do it. Here's what we could have...

Original album
Extended/alt mixes album
The mono version - it is a fold down, so I look foward to that debate
Offloaded - the outtakes properly sequenced into an album - I have never understood why they didn't do an outtakes album following the example of VU
Honeymoon acetate and the demos
Joseph Freeman tape
the remainder of the Matrix tape