3rd Album Deluxe - Bill Levenson drops a hint?

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
searchin4mymainline
On the wild side

Re: 3rd Album Deluxe - Bill Levenson drops a hint?

Post by searchin4mymainline » 11 Aug 2014 21:18

Great news about the Matrix material, but would be even better if the set could contain all of it! If they did a six disc set like they did with the first album surely there ought to be room for that plus the third album and the outtakes etc?

rnranimal
Head held high

Post by rnranimal » 12 Aug 2014 00:26

searchin4mymainline wrote:Great news about the Matrix material, but would be even better if the set could contain all of it! If they did a six disc set like they did with the first album surely there ought to be room for that plus the third album and the outtakes etc?
I agree. After all the effort and time and trouble and who knows how much money it took to finally take possession of these tapes, and they are only going to use half?

A 6 CD set could give us both stereo mix + session material filling each of those 2 discs. Then the Matrix tapes being the last 4 discs. That assumes they don't already have plans for this to be a 5-6 CD set which will include the 4th album material (along with the 2 album mixes and 2CDs of Matrix). That stuff doesn't really belong here, but neither do the Matrix tapes. So who knows what they are going to do? But, yes, if they aren't going to do a standalone 4CD Matrix, the right thing would be a super deluxe 3rd album with the complete Matrix tapes. They can give a 1 CD selection of the Matrix stuff on the 2CD deluxe version, along with the standard album mix + some filler on the other disc. Give the complete Matrix tapes to those willing to pay the big bucks for the super deluxe. Not just a selection for us, too.

There's just no way to properly present all this material on a 3rd album deluxe, even if 6 CDs (which I doubt will be the case, but maybe).

Hell, make it a 7 CD set with the 2 album mixes & outtakes/alt mixes, The complete Matrix and complete 4th album material and charge $175 for it. I'm in. Anyone looking to save money by just getting a "selection" would have the 2CD option.

Whatever. They are going to do what they are going to do and it will have a number of faults, but enough worthwhile content to get my purchase. It's just a shame that the first two sets had so much wasted space with junk like fold downs, the Gift split into 2 tracks, "single mixes" that are the same as the album mixes, the poor sounding '66 show taken from a 90s bootleg CD and now that we have a bit of an overflow of some really great stuff, it's going to be cut down.

flippikat

Post by flippikat » 12 Aug 2014 10:52

Whats the thoughts here about any future Bootleg Series releases?

I realise that live recordings are now being used to 'flesh out' deluxe editions, but when the 3rd & lost album sessions are released in some deluxe form (including live recordings) - if there are still live shows in the vaults, what are the chances that we see more Bootleg Series volumes - or is that series truly dead now?

searchin4mymainline
On the wild side

Post by searchin4mymainline » 12 Aug 2014 16:43

rnranimal wrote:A 6 CD set could give us both stereo mix + session material filling each of those 2 discs. Then the Matrix tapes being the last 4 discs.
I was thinking in terms of 3 CDs being room for the Matrix stuff or at least almost all of it. Depends how close to a full 4 hours of material there actually is. I've seen "about 4 hours" quoted. Sal Mercuri posted on here that the recordings were on eight 30 minute tapes. (Which makes me wonder if the full 38 minute Sister Ray is on there uncut. I hope so!)

rnranimal
Head held high

Post by rnranimal » 12 Aug 2014 18:33

searchin4mymainline wrote:
rnranimal wrote:A 6 CD set could give us both stereo mix + session material filling each of those 2 discs. Then the Matrix tapes being the last 4 discs.
I was thinking in terms of 3 CDs being room for the Matrix stuff or at least almost all of it. Depends how close to a full 4 hours of material there actually is. I've seen "about 4 hours" quoted. Sal Mercuri posted on here that the recordings were on eight 30 minute tapes. (Which makes me wonder if the full 38 minute Sister Ray is on there uncut. I hope so!)
Maybe, but if it can all fit on 3 CDs and they are cutting it to 2 on an expensive super deluxe set, that's really lame.

rnranimal
Head held high

Post by rnranimal » 12 Aug 2014 18:51

flippikat wrote:Whats the thoughts here about any future Bootleg Series releases?

I realise that live recordings are now being used to 'flesh out' deluxe editions, but when the 3rd & lost album sessions are released in some deluxe form (including live recordings) - if there are still live shows in the vaults, what are the chances that we see more Bootleg Series volumes - or is that series truly dead now?
I think it's completely dead. Once Quine Tapes was released, they had no more unbooted material. Apparently a number of sound upgrades, but nothing we don't already have. The complete Gym '67 was not mentioned among their tapes at that time, so I'm thinking it came to them much later. Even now that they've gotten a hold of unheard high quality stereo soundboards, they seem to feel a standalone live set wouldn't sell. Not to say it should be released under the Bootleg Series, because it shouldn't. These are proper recordings.

I wonder what sound upgrades they actually have. I was pretty disappointed and actually surprised to find that they used the "If It's Too Loud" boot for the Nico set. Makes me wonder how many other releases in the Bootleg Series were going to come from common bootlegs. That is also going to cut way down on interest and therefore sales.

MJG196
Born to Lose

Post by MJG196 » 12 Aug 2014 21:02

I wonder if the long lost Disco Mystic demos will surface. As legend has it, the words "Gym Hall Mystic" were repeated incessantly over droning guitars and Cale-like (maybe it WAS him?) strings.
Bargain bin gold, favorite bands, concerts, photos, and my record collection: All Good Music

velvetfan
Head held high

Post by velvetfan » 13 Aug 2014 06:19

goddammit! I was leaked the info about the Matrix tapes but was told to keep it quiet for now. It didn't come from me; I swear! :)

bobbydriver
On the wild side

Post by bobbydriver » 13 Aug 2014 14:38

searchin4mymainline wrote: I was thinking in terms of 3 CDs being room for the Matrix stuff or at least almost all of it. Depends how close to a full 4 hours of material there actually is. I've seen "about 4 hours" quoted. Sal Mercuri posted on here that the recordings were on eight 30 minute tapes. (Which makes me wonder if the full 38 minute Sister Ray is on there uncut. I hope so!)
Well the version of Sister Ray on the Matrix Sampler is the same performance as the 38 minute one on the Quine Tapes Box, but there are differences in pitch/tape speed.

In fact there are various differences between the tape speeds on Live 1969, Quine Box and the Sampler - I hope they sort these out.

I also checked and there are other duplications between the Quine Box and the performances on the Sampler

Black Angel's Death Song & one of the Venus In Furs are the same performances (and possibly Waiting For The Man?)

Fair to say that the "4 hours" of Matrix Tapes probably has loads of repeated songs.

The band were generally doing 2 x 45 minute sets per night and did 15 (?) nights at The Matrix in Nov/Dec 69 so assuming that they taped certain sets in their entirety - 4 hours of tapes would be a drop in the ocean (pun intended) of the 22-23 hours they actually played there during this period

Live 1969 has 1hr 40minutes of Matrix tapes (plus the Cole End 2nd Night tracks) and comprises of 14 different tracks. Between the Quine tapes and the Sampler there are 6 more distinct songs which don't appear on Live 1969

So the big questions are
1) will the Deluxe edition only contain tracks that WEREN'T on Live 1969?
2) will they duplicate songs with more than one performance?
3) will they duplicate songs that appear on Live 1969 but with different performances?

The deluxe boxes so far have aimed for complete live sets, but I suspect this will change

nkdlunch
On the wild side

Post by nkdlunch » 13 Aug 2014 16:29

Great news about the Matrix Tapes!

Xmas 2014 release?