3rd Album Deluxe - Bill Levenson drops a hint?

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
Chris M
On the wild side

Re: 3rd Album Deluxe - Bill Levenson drops a hint?

Post by Chris M » 13 Aug 2014 21:30

Good and rather unexpected news regarding the Matrix tapes! Let's hope the mixing is nice and wide and none of Lou's stage patter is removed. At the least I think we can count live versions of the tracks on the LP making an appearance. I'm Set Free, Some Kind Of Love, After Hours, etc. Still hope we get some session/rough mix material. It would be a shame if we don't considering the rarity that is Moe era VU session tapes...

Anyone have the full tracklist of the Matrix 4-tracks handy? What other 3rd album songs were captured?

nick257
On the wild side

Post by nick257 » 14 Aug 2014 07:55

A few years ago I worked out what songs were confirmed to be on the Matrix tapes from all the available sources of information:

Waiting For My Man x 3
Heroin x 4
Black Angel's Death Song x 1
Venus In Furs x 2
There She Goes x 3
What goes on x 2
Sister Ray x 1
Sweet Jane x 2
Im Set Free x 1
After Hours x 2
Some Kinda Love
White Light
Over You
Good Time Together
Beginning To See The Light
I Can't Stand It
Rock & Roll
Ocean

Total: 29/42 tracks accounted for
18 unique titles out of 22 accounted for

Adding in Alfredo's information from another forum where he recently confirmed that all the Matrix songs from Live 1969 are available, and none of those were deleted (contrary to previous information), then this would add one of each of the following: Lisa Says, New Age, Sweet Bonnie Brown, White Light/White Heat, making the final listing as per below:

Waiting For My Man x 3
Heroin x 4
Venus In Furs x 2
There She Goes x 3
What goes on x 2
Sister Ray x 1
Sweet Jane x 2
Im Set Free x 1
After Hours x 2
Some Kinda Love
White Light x2
Over You
Good Time Together
I Can't Stand It
Rock & Roll
Ocean
Lisa Says
New Age
Sweet Bonnie Brown

Total: 33/42 tracks accounted for
21 unique titles out of 22 accounted for

Aside from what is on 1969 Live there is overlap with the Quine tapes - at least one of each of the following: Waiting, Heroin, Black Angles Death Song, Rock and Roll, White Light, Venus in Furs, Sister Ray, so we already have at least 21 of the 42 songs in some form from previous releases.

Chris M
On the wild side

Post by Chris M » 14 Aug 2014 09:23

nick257 wrote:A few years ago I worked out what songs were confirmed to be on the Matrix tapes from all the available sources of information..
Much thanks for that Nick!

OverYou

Post by OverYou » 14 Aug 2014 12:48

nick257 wrote:A few years ago I worked out what songs were confirmed to be on the Matrix tapes from all the available sources of information:

Waiting For My Man x 3
Heroin x 4
Venus In Furs x 2
There She Goes x 3
What goes on x 2
Sister Ray x 1
Sweet Jane x 2
Im Set Free x 1
After Hours x 2
Some Kinda Love
White Light
Over You
Good Time Together
I Can't Stand It
Rock & Roll
Ocean

Total: 29/42 tracks accounted for
18 unique titles out of 22 accounted for

Adding in Alfredo's information from another forum where he recently confirmed that all the Matrix songs from Live 1969 are available, and none of those were deleted (contrary to previous information), then this would add one of each of the following: Lisa Says, New Age, Sweet Bonnie Brown, White Light/White Heat, making the final listing as per below:

Waiting For My Man x 3
Heroin x 4
Venus In Furs x 2
There She Goes x 3
What goes on x 2
Sister Ray x 1
Sweet Jane x 2
Im Set Free x 1
After Hours x 2
Some Kinda Love
White Light x2
Over You
Good Time Together
I Can't Stand It
Rock & Roll
Ocean
Lisa Says
New Age
Sweet Bonnie Brown

Total: 33/42 tracks accounted for
21 unique titles out of 22 accounted for

Aside from what is on 1969 Live there is overlap with the Quine tapes - at least one of each of the following: Waiting, Heroin, Black Angles Death Song, Rock and Roll, White Light, Venus in Furs, Sister Ray, so we already have at least 21 of the 42 songs in some form from previous releases.
Interesting that on Live 1969, Lisa Says may be an edit of 2 performances, you can hear the change at 3:15 before Why am I so Shy starts. There is a change in the hiss noise level.
Did they do the edit it when compiling live 1969, are there 2 Matrix 4 track perfomances of Lisa Says? or is it edited like this on the Matrix source tapes?

lurid
Head held high

Post by lurid » 14 Aug 2014 13:35

OverYou wrote:
nick257 wrote:A few years ago I worked out what songs were confirmed to be on the Matrix tapes from all the available sources of information:

Interesting that on Live 1969, Lisa Says may be an edit of 2 performances, you can hear the change at 3:15 before Why am I so Shy starts. There is a change in the hiss noise level.
Did they do the edit it when compiling live 1969, are there 2 Matrix 4 track perfomances of Lisa Says? or is it edited like this on the Matrix source tapes?
Pictures of the Mercury acetates of source Live 69 material were posted here some time back - I seem to remember that there were 2 versions of Lisa Says. I just assumed that the "final" version contained parts of both. There's certainly an edited-in section.

And somewhere at home I have a listing of the contents of ALL the Matrix reels - I'll try to dig that out.

edit: sorry - my memory failed me: it was only a partial list

I'm sure all will be revealed shortly..
Last edited by lurid on 14 Aug 2014 23:12, edited 1 time in total.

bobbydriver
On the wild side

Post by bobbydriver » 14 Aug 2014 14:58

What was the background to the CD issue of Live 69?

Some of the tracks sound like they were sourced from vinyl, yet they added 2 tracks that weren?t on the original vinyl edition, so they must have had access to the source tapes?

Why they chose another version of Heroin is another puzzle if they had the source tapes to go on. And why they chose to spilt it over two budget CDs is equally unfathomable.

searchin4mymainline
On the wild side

Post by searchin4mymainline » 14 Aug 2014 16:59

The listing for the Mercury acetates for Live 69 which was posted here in 2006 does indeed list the following

LISA SAYS 3:12
WHY AM I SO SHY/LISA SAYS 2:35

Note that the timings add up to the timing of Lisa Says on the album.

The two extra tracks from the CD release are also listed on the acetates so they wouldn't have needed access to the source tapes for these.

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 14 Aug 2014 17:38

bobbydriver wrote:What was the background to the CD issue of Live 69?

Some of the tracks sound like they were sourced from vinyl, yet they added 2 tracks that weren?t on the original vinyl edition, so they must have had access to the source tapes?

Why they chose another version of Heroin is another puzzle if they had the source tapes to go on. And why they chose to spilt it over two budget CDs is equally unfathomable.
Pretty sure Bill Levenson explained this somewhere when the CD were issued. They no longer had access to the tapes so they sourced from acetates that had been made at the time of the original LP release and did what they could to make them sound OK .... Can't remember details but guess the two extras they had on the same acetates but did not fit the 2xLP format
underground, overground

Mark
Head held high

Post by Mark » 14 Aug 2014 17:45

I don't think Mercury / Universal / Levenson ever had access to the original tapes or the acetates, did they? From what I can work out Sesnick gave (sold) them tapes of the acetates in 1974 and that's all they've ever had.
8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

searchin4mymainline
On the wild side

Post by searchin4mymainline » 14 Aug 2014 18:19

This is the thread from here when Elliott Murphy listed his acetates on Ebay.

http://www.velvetforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=883

Think someone here later posted pictures of them?