The Matrix Tapes - COMING SOON

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
rnranimal
Head held high

Re: The Matrix Tapes - COMING SOON

Post by rnranimal » 25 Nov 2015 06:51

They didn't include all the talking they have. I just checked the Matrix sampler tracks and it has a nice spoken intro for Venus, plus the Waiting for the Man intro is longer on the sampler. They actually cut Lou mid-sentence in the new set. WTF?? Who makes these decisions?

Here's the full Waiting intro: https://www.sendspace.com/file/wgc28n

And the missing Venus intro: https://www.sendspace.com/file/sdn3uy

dial4
Head held high

Post by dial4 » 25 Nov 2015 17:30

rnranimal wrote:
dial4 wrote:But you MUST buy it, have the latest smartphone and so on !
Yes I've done a mistake, 'Play It At Your Sister' was issued in 2005 and the 30th Anniversary edition of their first rendition in 2007 so it's just two years...
Yeah, that one is pretty bad, too. I was thinking Sister was 2002, but 2005 to 2007 is pretty bad. There's also the 13th Floor Elevators re-issues... Starting in 2009, re-issuing the same material (and sometimes adding a track or two) became an annual thing for a while. "Look, we JUST found this one more track after the last time we re-issued the album". Then the track turned out to not be what they labelled it and it's really no different than the album version, just missing the beginning. But I could go on forever over my Elevators re-issue complaints...
It's so rare you make a mistake, you know absolutely everything, I was so happy :mrgreen: to see, of course not really a fault, an inaccuracy, sorry, just a little lack of precision ! :)
For the Elevators, I own 'Sign' and a recent double live set, are there others, I don't know.
For the cuts on Matrixsuperdeluxe blablablah, it's perhaps because the engineer is paid 1000 $ each time he press the red button...
For the Gym CD on WLWHSuperextrafantasticedit(ion), at first listen I thought it was a rehearsal tape cos when the 'Psychedelic sounds from the gymnasium' came out, some said it was a cover band playing not the real velvets and without almost any talk between tracks, I was really confused you know.

MJG196
Born to Lose

Post by MJG196 » 25 Nov 2015 17:50

rnranimal wrote:They didn't include all the talking they have. I just checked the Matrix sampler tracks and it has a nice spoken intro for Venus, plus the Waiting for the Man intro is longer on the sampler. They actually cut Lou mid-sentence in the new set. WTF?? Who makes these decisions?

Are you saying this is from the Matrix set?
Bargain bin gold, favorite bands, concerts, photos, and my record collection: All Good Music

rnranimal
Head held high

Post by rnranimal » 25 Nov 2015 18:05

dial4 wrote:It's so rare you make a mistake, you know absolutely everything, I was so happy :mrgreen: to see, of course not really a fault, an inaccuracy, sorry, just a little lack of precision ! :)
For the Elevators, I own 'Sign' and a recent double live set, are there others, I don't know.
For the cuts on Matrixsuperdeluxe blablablah, it's perhaps because the engineer is paid 1000 $ each time he press the red button...
For the Gym CD on WLWHSuperextrafantasticedit(ion), at first listen I thought it was a rehearsal tape cos when the 'Psychedelic sounds from the gymnasium' came out, some said it was a cover band playing not the real velvets and without almost any talk between tracks, I was really confused you know.
:oops:

For the Elevators, it's so complicated, I couldn't cover it here. But basically, there was the 3rd Eye set and then using that material plus adding something else here and there, they re-issued the stuff on a singles collection, 2CD sets, 4CD box, then 2LP sets, then a big LP box, then the live 2CD. They also keep using the wrong masters for the 1st two stereo albums, incorrectly labeling tracks as different versions (sometimes they claim mono songs are rare stereo mixes), using inferior sources but calling them masters, etc. If it's something you're interested in, I have a thread at the Hoffman board where I laid it all outhttp://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/1 ... fo.364571/. I get down on the VU boxes and point out all the flaws, but that's nothing compared to the Elevators stuff. The VU stuff is very well done compared to the Elevators releases.

That's what is so odd about them editing out between the Gym tracks. There was hardly anything there to begin with. They removed every bit of space between the songs for the 45th set, including "It's called I'm Waiting for the Man" before the song starts. They made it like a Ramones concert. Your theory of the engineer getting paid more to give us less is about the only one which makes sense.

Oh well, finally having the Matrix tapes is awesome. Missing talk is a minor issue when we have all the songs. It's just frustrating that they would decide to remove it.

rnranimal
Head held high

Post by rnranimal » 25 Nov 2015 18:11

MJG196 wrote:
rnranimal wrote:They didn't include all the talking they have. I just checked the Matrix sampler tracks and it has a nice spoken intro for Venus, plus the Waiting for the Man intro is longer on the sampler. They actually cut Lou mid-sentence in the new set. WTF?? Who makes these decisions?

Are you saying this is from the Matrix set?
The intros I posted are from the Matrix tapes, but not from the new set. They are from excerpts put together in the early 2000s when the tapes were being negotiated (and then talks fell apart). The new retail Complete Matrix tapes release has a minute removed from the Waiting intro and doesn't have the Venus intro at all.

The new set cuts the Waiting intro right in the middle of Lou explaining the song. Really odd.

dial4
Head held high

Post by dial4 » 25 Nov 2015 21:45

I read everything you wrote about the elevators, another lost magic band, fascinating. But some of the discs you're talking I don't own them and it's very pricey sometimes, Charly aren't good persons I think.
For the velvets, I wanna know where the cuts have been made if possible so perhaps we can ad it to the released file !
Same for Gymnasium CD.

rnranimal
Head held high

Post by rnranimal » 25 Nov 2015 22:37

dial4 wrote:I read everything you wrote about the elevators, another lost magic band, fascinating. But some of the discs you're talking I don't own them and it's very pricey sometimes, Charly aren't good persons I think.
For the velvets, I wanna know where the cuts have been made if possible so perhaps we can ad it to the released file !
Same for Gymnasium CD.
Do you download torrents? I could steer you in the right direction for the best Elevators stuff. Charly aren't good. I wish someone else had gotten the rights to release this material. They are handling it very poorly. They make a real nice looking package, but the audio contents are a mess.

I'll check the Gym show later and get back here with what's missing.

For the Matrix: The leaked excerpts from years ago had the full Waiting intro that I posted above and an intro to Venus. The Waiting intro would replace the shorter one on the new set and Venus can be tacked onto the beginning of the song (disc 1). There's also the New Age intro from Live 1969 which isn't on the new Matrix set. That's all I'm sure of for now, but am checking into something.

dial4
Head held high

Post by dial4 » 25 Nov 2015 22:50

Yes but very often the links are dead like for the elevators reunions or the old Seeds and Sky Saxon on dime.
For Charly the packaging cannot make me forget the content and the prices sorry... :(

rnranimal
Head held high

Post by rnranimal » 26 Nov 2015 00:24

dial4 wrote:Yes but very often the links are dead like for the elevators reunions or the old Seeds and Sky Saxon on dime.
For Charly the packaging cannot make me forget the content and the prices sorry... :(
I don't have any of those, sorry. I'll PM you later about some other stuff.

Nope, I wouldn't expect it to. I don't care much about packaging. The substance is what matters and the Charly releases are very lacking there.

PhantomRaspberryBlower
On the wild side

Post by PhantomRaspberryBlower » 27 Nov 2015 12:55

Getting the thread back on track -

Loving the box so far, having listened to set 1 and 2. What do you all make of their contention that all of these tracks are from the 26th and 27th? That doesn't sit right with me...