The Matrix Tapes - COMING SOON

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
rnranimal
Head held high

Re: The Matrix Tapes - COMING SOON

Post by rnranimal » 23 Nov 2015 20:37

The Gentleman wrote:
TeddyB wrote:Very true, but it did help monetize the purchase. Peter Abram asks decent money. That's why they ripped him off in 1974 using the copies of the acetates, and why the Doors did the same with their Matrix Tapes, releasing bootleg copies.
That's how I think it went down, too. Budgetary realities probably forced them to squeeze as much out of the Matrix orange that they could.

However, if they HAD to double-dip, I would have preferred that the 3rd LP set included a remaster of the 1969 Live album. That would have both primarily utilized Matrix recordings, but also give fans something unique and special, not to mention matched how they handled the Max's album (except I would have expected it to be complete). As it stands, those two discs on the SDE are now just wasted space.

Actually, I'm still holding out for a Live 1969 reissue next year. But, admittedly, it will sound a bit funky when Cole Ave tracks transition into Matrix material, since that the gap in sound quality (which was always there) is now so profound.
Your Live 1969 idea would've been a good one. Like you said, the way they did it has now made those two discs in the 3rd box useless to anyone who buys the Matrix set. I understand the probable need to squeeze as much money out the material as possible, but the way they did it was by pulling a blatant fast one on the buyer. It's those type of moves which make me not feel bad about just copying the tracks I want to avoid spending my money on a needlessly bloated, expensive set. I personally find the fake mono discs to be just as useless, so that's now only 3 discs left with any kind of worthwhile content for the 3rd LP box and two of those are just remasters of the standard album mixes where previous masterings already sounded excellent. Completely obsoleting the two best discs in the set was not cool.

dial4
Head held high

Post by dial4 » 23 Nov 2015 22:34

The Damned Record Company issued a Compilation some years ago titled 'Play It At Your Sister' (good title hum) in which you find 3 discs covering all their recordings for Stiff (with Peel sessions, In concert, 3 demos, single B-sides) and a live disc at Mont-de-Marsan 1976 Punk Festival ; for the 30th anniversary, they issued the 1st album on one disc, all the unreleased material in brackets, EXCEPT the live 1976 disc, 'replaced' by a live audience recording at the 100 club in 1977 !
The 1st two Julian Cope solo efforts were reissued on double discs, adding just ONE unreleased BBC track version per album...
So these repackages are very common I think.

rnranimal
Head held high

Post by rnranimal » 23 Nov 2015 23:24

dial4 wrote:The Damned Record Company issued a Compilation some years ago titled 'Play It At Your Sister' (good title hum) in which you find 3 discs covering all their recordings for Stiff (with Peel sessions, In concert, 3 demos, single B-sides) and a live disc at Mont-de-Marsan 1976 Punk Festival ; for the 30th anniversary, they issued the 1st album on one disc, all the unreleased material in brackets, EXCEPT the live 1976 disc, 'replaced' by a live audience recording at the 100 club in 1977 !
The 1st two Julian Cope solo efforts were reissued on double discs, adding just ONE unreleased BBC track version per album...
It's very common. The thing which makes this Matrix deal a little more unique is that it was the very next year.

Kill Mick
Head held high

Post by Kill Mick » 24 Nov 2015 07:46

rnranimal wrote:
dial4 wrote:The Damned Record Company issued a Compilation some years ago titled 'Play It At Your Sister' (good title hum) in which you find 3 discs covering all their recordings for Stiff (with Peel sessions, In concert, 3 demos, single B-sides) and a live disc at Mont-de-Marsan 1976 Punk Festival ; for the 30th anniversary, they issued the 1st album on one disc, all the unreleased material in brackets, EXCEPT the live 1976 disc, 'replaced' by a live audience recording at the 100 club in 1977 !
It's very common. The thing which makes this Matrix deal a little more unique is that it was the very next year.
Don't even get me started on The Doors, Joy Division, The Pogues... every record company does it...
Keep the faith

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 24 Nov 2015 17:34

I just found out that the CD album DNA on DNA has been re-released on 2xLP with three extra tracks and couple of extra live tracks. In their defence, the record label say that the extra tracks have only just become available. They are three early DNA tracks that I'd really like but I'd have to buy the whole album again.
underground, overground

dial4
Head held high

Post by dial4 » 24 Nov 2015 19:24

But you MUST buy it, have the latest smartphone and so on !
Yes I've done a mistake, 'Play It At Your Sister' was issued in 2005 and the 30th Anniversary edition of their first rendition in 2007 so it's just two years...

rnranimal
Head held high

Post by rnranimal » 24 Nov 2015 20:40

dial4 wrote:But you MUST buy it, have the latest smartphone and so on !
Yes I've done a mistake, 'Play It At Your Sister' was issued in 2005 and the 30th Anniversary edition of their first rendition in 2007 so it's just two years...
Yeah, that one is pretty bad, too. I was thinking Sister was 2002, but 2005 to 2007 is pretty bad. There's also the 13th Floor Elevators re-issues... Starting in 2009, re-issuing the same material (and sometimes adding a track or two) became an annual thing for a while. "Look, we JUST found this one more track after the last time we re-issued the album". Then the track turned out to not be what they labelled it and it's really no different than the album version, just missing the beginning. But I could go on forever over my Elevators re-issue complaints...

stooge
Head held high

Post by stooge » 24 Nov 2015 20:56

Some says they have edited some chat like the "new age" introduction, hope they've not done the same with Lou's speaking about serious times at the beginning of the Matrix sampler

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 25 Nov 2015 00:19

stooge wrote:Some says they have edited some chat like the "new age" introduction, hope they've not done the same with Lou's speaking about serious times at the beginning of the Matrix sampler
Got mine today. There was some story Lou Reed is telling about children's heads and watermelons. That's at the start of I Can't Stand It. No intro to New Age.

As I expected, the stuff I prefer is the 3rd album material like I'm Set Free, Beginning and (the shorter version of) Some Kind Of Love on this box. Along with Sweet Jane and Lisa Says, I feel that these are a better showcase for this line-up at this time, than the earlier and the more rocking songs.

The box is suitably understated and small.
underground, overground

rnranimal
Head held high

Post by rnranimal » 25 Nov 2015 03:33

stooge wrote:Some says they have edited some chat like the "new age" introduction, hope they've not done the same with Lou's speaking about serious times at the beginning of the Matrix sampler
"This is a song called New Age" is heard on the Live 1969 album, but not on the Matrix set. They've been edit happy in the past with removing between song content, but they seem to have left it in for this set. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and just assume this spoken intro is not on the Matrix tapes but was on the mix down tapes used for Live 1969 (it's been said some editing was done to the masters after those rough mix downs were created and given to the band). Plus, it just seems like a really stupid, pointless thing to do. Surely, they wouldn't have done something like that.