VU covers

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
mangue
On the wild side

VU covers

Post by mangue » 13 Feb 2016 10:37

I'm a sucker for coversongs, so let's start a thread.

"In 2008 Dirtmusic (Chris Eckman, Chris Brokaw and Hugo Race) was invited to the Festival in the Desert in Mali, next to Dirtmusic?s tent was that of young Touareg desert blues/rock band Tamikrest. The two bands found themselves jamming together almost non-stop and discovered that their ideas and music fit perfectly. When Brokaw struck up the first few chords of ?All Tomorrow?s Parties?, Tamikrest just jumped right in without a second thought, as if they?d been listening to the Velvet Underground since the release of the ?Banana? album - which they hadn?t.
One year later in 2009 Dirtmusic returned to Mali to record their new album - with Tamikrest backing them in the studio. Luckily, they recreated last year's jam in the studio, with also Fadimata Walet Oumar from the famous Touareg group Tartit lending her sublime vocals. The blend of sounds and influences on this track is stunning but also feels completely natural." (by me a little edited text from Dirtmusic - BKO bandcamp page)

Dirtmusic with Tamikrest - All Tomorrow?s Parties (2009, recorded in Bamako, Mali)
Listen here: http://glitterbeat.bandcamp.com/track/a ... ws-parties

Really like the handclapping and the vocal sounds (what to call them, jodelling? how to describe them? better just listen!). ENJOY!!

threechordwonder
Head held high

Re: VU covers

Post by threechordwonder » 15 Feb 2016 21:58

Nice find mangue.

Normally I don't like Velvets covers but this is number three on my list of those I like (behind Sweet Jane by Cowboy Junkies and the Vitamin String Quartet version of the VU & Nico album). I've aleady forgotten any other covers I might have mentioned on this forum.

The girl's vocal sound is called ululation.

dial4
Head held high

Post by dial4 » 16 Feb 2016 13:34

So you don't like WFTM by John Cale or when Lou was playing them...

threechordwonder
Head held high

Post by threechordwonder » 16 Feb 2016 16:29

dial4 wrote:So you don't like WFTM by John Cale or when Lou was playing them...
Ok you got me ... I'm afraid I can't give an answer ... but I don't like any covers by Doug Yululation (saved it!).

dial4
Head held high

Post by dial4 » 17 Feb 2016 11:44

Perhaps when former group members play them, it's not covers anymore. There's a good version of a velvetune by Doug, can't remember the song... I must admit I LOVE WFTM & WLWH by the Animal band (rip D. Wagner), please don't be too cruel with your comments !
Last edited by dial4 on 18 Feb 2016 12:33, edited 1 time in total.

mangue
On the wild side

Post by mangue » 17 Feb 2016 12:40

threechordwonder wrote:Nice find mangue.

Normally I don't like Velvets covers but this is number three on my list of those I like (behind Sweet Jane by Cowboy Junkies and the Vitamin String Quartet version of the VU & Nico album). I've aleady forgotten any other covers I might have mentioned on this forum.

The girl's vocal sound is called ululation.
Thanks for the "ululation", never heard the word before, but it describes the sound (l-l-l-l) very well.

Regarding covers, on top of my list stands also the Cowboy Junkies version of Sweet Jane, furthermore spring to mind R.E.M. with some great covers (as B-sides on their early singles) and The House of Love with a great version of I Can't Stand It. Should listen to what I have to make a real list. BTW not familiar with the Vitamin String Quartet, should check it out.

About versions by Reed and Cale, wouldn't call that covers, they wrote the songs (or at least parts of), rather label those as re-interpretations.

Looking forward to listen to covers I haven't heard before.

bradski
Head held high

Post by bradski » 10 May 2016 20:31

Don't know whether this has been posted before.... so I'll just place it here.
Bowie covering IWFTM in 1970. Just a frustratingly brief clip here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDeOtQCr5SE

Apparently there was going to be a DVD release of the whole festival ... it exists ... but some folks own the audio and some others the visual ... and they can't strike a deal.
Looks great anyway - inc. the first ever Hawkwind footage.
any sounds that we feel would detract from the performance has been left in place

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 11 May 2016 02:11

Reading about Sterling on how the band managed to get any co-writing credits at all from Reed, only yesterday on wiki, I came across a Japanese cover of one of my favourite VU songs Here She Comes Now. I'm a complete sucker for that song so I tried out the cover version.

By the band 800 cherries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydtp4liAwkk

Of course there is the Cabaret Voltaire version on 'EP' which I always quite liked as VU covers go, and recently found another version by the same band on a CD compilation of early tapes

https://www.discogs.com/Cabaret-Voltair ... ase/167809

All I want now is more stuff from the Ludlow/Broom St tape to show up, if any exist.
Last edited by iaredatsun on 15 May 2016 14:22, edited 2 times in total.
underground, overground

searchin4mymainline
On the wild side

Post by searchin4mymainline » 11 May 2016 20:24

Happened to hear this one on the radio yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym4hmN_5ns0

mangue
On the wild side

Post by mangue » 15 May 2016 14:21

Now that all (? ...more from the Ludlow tape ...?) recorded music is available, covers are all that's to look out for!!

Really like the Brian Eno version of 'I'm Set Free', THANKS searchin4mymainline!!
And also good texts by ENo about VU and the covered song on his website: http://www.brian-eno.net/

a cover = a next Illusion of an original song (=truth)