"Nico: The life and lies of an icon" by Richard Witts

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
holy_shit_89

"Nico: The life and lies of an icon" by Richard Witts

Post by holy_shit_89 » 10 May 2016 20:46

Hi,
does anyone of you have it for sale? I'm looking for a copy. Paperback or hardcover, doesn't matter, as long as it's in VG condition. I'm from Poland so maybe somebody from Europe wants to sell? :)

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Re: "Nico: The life and lies of an icon" by Richard Witts

Post by iaredatsun » 12 May 2016 10:57

holy_shit_89 wrote:Hi,
does anyone of you have it for sale? I'm looking for a copy. Paperback or hardcover, doesn't matter, as long as it's in VG condition. I'm from Poland so maybe somebody from Europe wants to sell? :)
I pm'd you with a source for the book. I don't have it.
underground, overground

holy_shit_89

Post by holy_shit_89 » 17 May 2016 15:52

Ok, I've located a copy, it's not cheap but I'm thinking about it. However before buying, I have a question to those of you who've read it - is it a good book? :) It'd be a shame to spend money on something worthless.

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 17 May 2016 21:40

holy_shit_89 wrote:Ok, I've located a copy, it's not cheap but I'm thinking about it. However before buying, I have a question to those of you who've read it - is it a good book? :) It'd be a shame to spend money on something worthless.
During a conversation about literature and writers, one of the staff in Waterstones was telling me how great a certain Nico bio book was. I'm pretty sure it was 'Songs They Never Play on the Radio: Nico, the Last Bohemian'. I recall the book was actually his favourite book in general. Have you read it? It gets 24 reviews on Amazonon as oppose to Nico:Icon which gets just about two reviews.
underground, overground

DavidH
Head held high

Post by DavidH » 18 May 2016 03:21

The Life and Lies is a good book - it's not for me to say if it's worth it for you to get it or not, but it covers a lot of things that were otherwise quite obscure. It was certainly the first mainstream book to detail her life as a child, and as an aspiring model and actress in the years leading up to her moving to the US. I haven't read all of the James Young book, but from memory it was a memoir just of his time playing with her during the post-Drama of Exile years.

holy_shit_89

Post by holy_shit_89 » 18 May 2016 16:41

Yes, James Young's book covers only his "tenure" with Nico, that's why I'm looking for something else to start with. Thanks for your help :)

BillySays

Post by BillySays » 18 Mar 2019 22:17

Hi i imagine yoouve all left this thread long ago but i do really recommend reading the book if you are an avid Nico fan like me. My dad was part of her backing band in 1986 and toured with her through europe and he actually features in the book, probably why i like it so much. but yeah i completely recommend it if you can get hold of it.