Guess I'm Falling in Love with vocals!

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Re: Guess I'm Falling in Love with vocals!

Post by iaredatsun » 21 May 2016 13:06

flippikat wrote:I think the slightly-out-of-synch (at times) nature of it fits with well that bleed-thru and distortion of the Wl/WH sessions, and I've used it for a playlist of an "alternate" Velvet Underground 2nd album:

Side 1
1 - White Light / White Heat
2 - Lady Godiva's operation
3 - Guess I'm falling in love (This new hybrid mix, of course..)
4 - Here she comes now
5 - I heard her call my name (the "balanced" mix, from 40th anniversary WL/WH)

Side 2
1 There is no reason (Demo, from 'Peel Slowly & See')
2 Sister Ray

It works pretty well :)
Thanks for the playlist. Which masterings of WLWH tracks would you use for the tracks? MFSL, Mono remaster or stereo remaster, for example?
underground, overground

flippikat

Re: Guess I'm Falling in Love with vocals!

Post by flippikat » 21 May 2016 14:23

iaredatsun wrote:
flippikat wrote:I think the slightly-out-of-synch (at times) nature of it fits with well that bleed-thru and distortion of the Wl/WH sessions, and I've used it for a playlist of an "alternate" Velvet Underground 2nd album:

Side 1
1 - White Light / White Heat
2 - Lady Godiva's operation
3 - Guess I'm falling in love (This new hybrid mix, of course..)
4 - Here she comes now
5 - I heard her call my name (the "balanced" mix, from 40th anniversary WL/WH)

Side 2
1 There is no reason (Demo, from 'Peel Slowly & See')
2 Sister Ray

It works pretty well :)
Thanks for the playlist. Which masterings of WLWH tracks would you use for the tracks? MFSL, Mono remaster or stereo remaster, for example?
To be honest, I just used the stereo mixes from the 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition - I was already using a rip of it for the alternate mix of 'I heard her call my name', so it was just convenient to grab from the same batch of files.

I think the lineup flows pretty well, alternating between intense and mellower songs.

Since 'The Gift' is pretty much the length of two songs, I had to add something along with 'Guess I'm falling in love'. The 1968 sessions didn't fit the feel of the album (too pop, too polished in their production) & would have been anachronistic anyway, having been recorded AFTER WL/WH was issued.

So I had to look at the early 1967 demos. The only one that made sense to add was 'There is no reason' - because basically 'It's alright (the way that you live)' or 'Sheltered Life' would sound ridiculous on the album.
It's sadness dovetails into 'Sister Ray' nicely too, and I can just imagine a proper studio take where that guitar solo has a noisier strumming part too - making 'There is no reason' a real exercise in quiet/LOUD/quiet dynamics.
(Anyone ever tried overdubbing that track with some fuzzy strummed guitar in the solo?)