loop de "Loop"

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
Sheila Klein
Head held high

loop de "Loop"

Post by Sheila Klein » 18 May 2016 23:23

Given how prolifically John Cale was making and recording sound experiments in the '64-'66 period, do you think the selection of "Loop" as the track to be included in the Aspen box was somewhat random? I'm starting to envision the backstory to that selection as someone from the Aspen side, or perhaps Warhol or Morrissey, approaching someone from the VU about contributing a piece for the project, and Cale simply spooling off the first half-decent thing he had at hand?

--Phil M.

peppergomez
Head held high

Re: loop de "Loop"

Post by peppergomez » 19 May 2016 01:14

Let's ask him!

threechordwonder
Head held high

Post by threechordwonder » 19 May 2016 09:51

peppergomez wrote:Let's ask him!
About '66? I bet he thinks that's all over.

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 19 May 2016 13:14

Sheila Klein wrote:Given how prolifically John Cale was making and recording sound experiments in the '64-'66 period, do you think the selection of "Loop" as the track to be included in the Aspen box was somewhat random? I'm starting to envision the backstory to that selection as someone from the Aspen side, or perhaps Warhol or Morrissey, approaching someone from the VU about contributing a piece for the project, and Cale simply spooling off the first half-decent thing he had at hand?

--Phil M.
Why do think it was at random and 'half-decent'? I presume as Warhol was guest editor, he OK'd it. I like it.
underground, overground

iaredatsun

Post by iaredatsun » 19 May 2016 13:15

peppergomez wrote:Let's ask him!
How?

And if we can, then can we ask him for the full 15' version of this piece?
underground, overground

Sheila Klein
Head held high

Post by Sheila Klein » 19 May 2016 17:23

iaredatsun wrote:Why do think it was at random and 'half-decent'? I presume as Warhol was guest editor, he OK'd it. I like it.
I meant "half-decent or better"; in other words, at least presentable. I am not saying it was chosen as random, I am asking (I thought I'd made clear) whether any of us think, in light of the eventual release of much of Cale's experimental work from that period, that the selection might have been less deliberate than it otherwise seemed. My underlying point was to hint at the possibility that instead of "Loop", the Aspen box might as well have included one of Cale's other experimental pieces (yet still under the VU name) from that era.

Warhol was the guest editor, at least in name. I sincerely doubt he micro-managed the thing, and I think it quite possible he never even listened to the VU's submission, let alone formally approved it.
Hear, hear!

--Phil M.

iaredatsun

Post by iaredatsun » 20 May 2016 01:37

Sheila Klein wrote:
iaredatsun wrote:Why do think it was at random and 'half-decent'? I presume as Warhol was guest editor, he OK'd it. I like it.
I meant "half-decent or better"; in other words, at least presentable. I am not saying it was chosen as random, I am asking (I thought I'd made clear) whether any of us think, in light of the eventual release of much of Cale's experimental work from that period, that the selection might have been less deliberate than it otherwise seemed. My underlying point was to hint at the possibility that instead of "Loop", the Aspen box might as well have included one of Cale's other experimental pieces (yet still under the VU name) from that era.

Warhol was the guest editor, at least in name. I sincerely doubt he micro-managed the thing, and I think it quite possible he never even listened to the VU's submission, let alone formally approved it.
Hear, hear!

--Phil M.
I wonder whether Cale was asked to make something especially, on a commission basis? Or was it a piece Cale had finished and suggested as suitable for the flexi-single request? Or was it the band that was asked and they agreed to Cale's submission?

I think the title 'Loop' suggests that a kind of Fluxus attitude was at play, since it was being presented on a flexi-disc within its spiral groove. In that sense anything repetitious would have been suitable. Maybe he had played it to Warhol before?
underground, overground

Kill Mick
Head held high

Post by Kill Mick » 20 May 2016 18:53

I always thought 'Loop' was a very perverse choice, even by the VU's non-conformist standards!
Not exactly something that would make most people want to rush out and buy their forthcoming debut album, and at odds with their relatively commercial (and very Nico emphasizing) singles of the time. Which I guess makes it the obvious choice... :)
Keep the faith

DavidH
Head held high

Post by DavidH » 21 May 2016 02:24

It was certainly a perverse choice. Also, let's not forget the earliest (I think) appearance by the band on an LP was that 'Noise' track, which is equally unmusical.

If I'm not mistaken, Loop was pretty well unheard outside of a few collectors until it turned up on the great 'and so on' record, and that came out after punk and post punk had happened. Hell, I heard it in the early 90's and was stunned - I can't imagine what it was like to listen to it in the 1960's and be one of the few people who didn't think it was a gimmick or joke.