John Cale on BBC news at 6

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
bradski
Head held high

John Cale on BBC news at 6

Post by bradski » 24 Oct 2016 20:11

Weird news item on the BBC news at 6. Quite a long feature about the VU & Nico album with archive clips and an interview with Cale. He's playing the album in its entirety next year in Liverpool apparently. Seems a bit moot without Lou, Sterling and Nico (don't think Mo's involved either, could be wrong).

They had Cale playing a copy of the banana album - on a shitty little portable record player. Not only that it was a warped copy - and not only that it was a Vinyl Lovers copy .... not even a Verve or MGM (or even Polydor) copy. Strange feature anyway for the mainstream main news at 6.
You can probably catch it on iPlayer..... 24th October, BBC news at 6.
any sounds that we feel would detract from the performance has been left in place

bradski
Head held high

Re: John Cale on BBC news at 6

Post by bradski » 26 Oct 2016 21:15

any sounds that we feel would detract from the performance has been left in place

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 28 Oct 2016 01:09

Thanks for the link and post.

I do not think that the BBC are going to go out and buy a collector's version of VU&N for a short interview. I guess they'd nip down to Sister Ray and see what they have in the rack and one of the Vinyl Lovers ones is probably what they stock. I might bet Cale doesn't even own a copy, let alone carry it about.

I wish Cale could also tempt us with a CD of a 1967 live tape or some tidbit unheard.
underground, overground

bradski
Head held high

Post by bradski » 28 Oct 2016 10:20

The BBC has a massive gram library with virtually every record ever made in there, especially from that era (I know - I used to work for 'em way back).
But yeah - it was just laziness I guess.
It just amused me when they went on about the profound influence of the record - as they zoomed in on the Vinyl Lovers label going round (and going up and down too, as it was well warped).

Quite agree - Cale should stop messing about with whatever half-assed projects he's currently working on, go down into his basement without further ado and dig those tapes out... sort your priorities out man.

dial4
Head held high

Post by dial4 » 28 Oct 2016 18:51

Ah John & his numerous tapes ! For the moment only two surfaced. Both excellent.

gazatthebop
Head held high

Post by gazatthebop » 08 Nov 2016 23:21

iaredatsun wrote: I guess they'd nip down to Sister Ray and see what they have in the rack and one of the Vinyl Lovers ones is probably what they stock. .
filming was done in Liverpool, someone is posting banana stickers across the city. Seems the show has sold out

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 11 Nov 2016 14:29

gazatthebop wrote:
iaredatsun wrote: I guess they'd nip down to Sister Ray and see what they have in the rack and one of the Vinyl Lovers ones is probably what they stock. .
filming was done in Liverpool, someone is posting banana stickers across the city. Seems the show has sold out
Ok. bang goes my theory. re, where the got the LP.
underground, overground

gazatthebop
Head held high

Post by gazatthebop » 27 Dec 2016 15:33

Cale has asked Moe Tucker to join him in Liverpool for the 50th anniversary show. She's turned Cale's offer down

schnittstelle
Head held high

Post by schnittstelle » 27 Dec 2016 23:47

Wow! Did she give any explanation why?