Exploding Plastic Inevitable with the Velvet Underground + Nico at the ICA Boston,Oct.29,1966

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
taxine
Head held high

Exploding Plastic Inevitable with the Velvet Underground + Nico at the ICA Boston,Oct.29,1966

Post by taxine » 12 Dec 2016 11:59

Priceless still of EPI.in Boston,pity the picture was taken a bit far away but clear enough... looks Nico's sitting next to the piano and making out her improvisation along with the band and dancers.This is too cool and new that I have no words,just ENJOY gang !!

http://www.imgrum.net/media/10407464820 ... 1094188626
But there are no stars in New York sky, they're all on the ground.
This is the place where she lay her head when she went to bed at night....

bleach
Head held high

Re: Exploding Plastic Inevitable with the Velvet Underground + Nico at the ICA Boston,Oct.29,1966

Post by bleach » 12 Dec 2016 23:47

Beautiful just beautiful thanks Taxine.

I had a look in my boxes and found this rarely seen advert/press release (?) for the series of Warhol events which included the VU gig.
Interestingly the text refers to the overseas tour that never was "..throughout Europe in 1967" !!

Its actually here referred to as the "Expanding Plastic Inevitable" but maybe thats a office typo..

bleach
Head held high

Re: Exploding Plastic Inevitable with the Velvet Underground + Nico at the ICA Boston,Oct.29,1966

Post by bleach » 13 Dec 2016 00:45

It appears that looking at the tickets the gig was described as "Expanding Plastic Inevitable" as well..

DavidH
Head held high

Post by DavidH » 14 Dec 2016 01:06

It's amazing that 50 years later, we're still getting 'new' images as good as this.

I wonder if the 'Europe in 1967' tour was ever a serious plan, or just something they put on the press release.

peppergomez
Head held high

Post by peppergomez » 14 Dec 2016 05:54

Warhol and co. attended the 1967 Cannes Film Festival to screen Chelsea Girl, if memory serves. So that's probably where that came from. Why the hell VU didn't accompany them, I don't know. Actually, we can guess- Lou fired Andy as the band's manager around that time.

So many missed opportunities...the director of that famous pop-art film Blow Up wanted to fly them to London in '66 to play in the club scene (how the hell he knew what they sounded like, I don't know), but ran out of money to do so.

I think if they had toured Europe in '67 and if the Banana album had come out in the winter of '66 or so as was planned, things would have gone a lot differently for the band. No wonder Lou became an even more bitter insecure asshole than he already was at that stage. I partly cannot blame him...such amazing music, played to so little commercial acclaim. "Pearls before swine" while wusses like The Doors made the big bucks.