RARE Outdoor EPI,Warhol's picnic.Philip Johnson Glass House,Connecticut June 3,1967

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
taxine
Head held high

RARE Outdoor EPI,Warhol's picnic.Philip Johnson Glass House,Connecticut June 3,1967

Post by taxine » 09 Mar 2017 11:36

Awesome picture of Malanga's dancing with his whip,but seems he's in some park or similar venue,maybe some country happening.I bet for "The Velvet Underground at the Glass House"

The VU. played at a benefit party for the Merce Cunningham dancers performed on a large wooden platform to the music of abstract-musician John Cage. The Velvet Underground played while the assembled Connecticut/New York patricians danced the frug and watusi.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/01/style ... 59486.html
https://vimeo.com/35654111Pity we can't see the VU.in the video,just few of Warhol among the audience at the beginnig.
But there are no stars in New York sky, they're all on the ground.
This is the place where she lay her head when she went to bed at night....

alfredovu
Head held high

Re: RARE Outdoor EPI,Warhol's picnic.Philip Johnson Glass House,Connecticut June 3,1967

Post by alfredovu » 10 Mar 2017 17:26

Fantastic shoot Taxine, new to me!!

Location: Glass House was my first thought too but not sure now. I have been checking a few Glass House pictures and the surrouning area is just trees .

In the picture background what I can see are some appartment buildings.

I have a littlle picture form that night , a lot of people dancing and Lou and Sterl can be seeing with a a lot of imaginatio playing behind all these poeple. Trees are full of leaves (july) in the picture
In this picture seem the be fall on the trees (no leaves). If this is a VU perfomance (i would say from top of my head that Malanga used the whip before he met the VU) should be Fall/Winter 1966-early 67, fall/winter 1967 too late for Malanga to perform with the VU.

taxine
Head held high

Re: RARE Outdoor EPI,Warhol's picnic.Philip Johnson Glass House,Connecticut June 3,1967

Post by taxine » 11 Mar 2017 13:02

The end of true is I wasn't quite sure about the venue due is a rare and very new picture so I thouht in Ciao Manhattan (1972) movie but failed.
I'm curious,you mean he'd use the whip-dance after EPI performances but he left the factory about december 1970 leading his way to photoghrafy-poetry,so where hell was made this picure out ??

Many thanks for the great piece of information Alfredo,you're the brave Indiana Jones on board !! :P :P
But there are no stars in New York sky, they're all on the ground.
This is the place where she lay her head when she went to bed at night....

Sheila Klein
Head held high

Post by Sheila Klein » 12 Mar 2017 02:27

Many thanks for the great piece of information Alfredo,you're the brave Indiana Jones on board !!
And yet, I think Indian Jones stole his bullwhip from Malanga. :P