More scanned articles

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
threechordwonder
Head held high

Re: More scanned articles (Phase 7)

Post by threechordwonder » 07 Jan 2018 10:36

Phase 7 - another bunch including an updated "Cale in Europe '75" document (the old one is gone).

Mark
Head held high

Re: More scanned articles

Post by Mark » 08 Jan 2018 01:03

A puzzling aside from Yule in that 1975 interview - Daryl Hall and John Oates filled in as guitarists in the 1973 Velveteen band? What? Has anyone heard of this elsewhere?
8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

threechordwonder
Head held high

Post by threechordwonder » 08 Jan 2018 10:42

Mark wrote:A puzzling aside from Yule in that 1975 interview - Daryl Hall and John Oates filled in as guitarists in the 1973 Velveteen band? What? Has anyone heard of this elsewhere?
I needed to read that twice, it's a bit confusing, but Doug joined Hall & Oates rather rhat vice versa. Theres a brief note on Olivier's site here: http://olivier.landemaine.free.fr/dougy ... eaver.html

Mark
Head held high

Post by Mark » 08 Jan 2018 17:16

Ah. That does make sense.
8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

leamanc
On the wild side

Post by leamanc » 09 Jan 2018 00:46

threechordwonder wrote:
Mark wrote:A puzzling aside from Yule in that 1975 interview - Daryl Hall and John Oates filled in as guitarists in the 1973 Velveteen band? What? Has anyone heard of this elsewhere?
I needed to read that twice, it's a bit confusing, but Doug joined Hall & Oates rather rhat vice versa. Theres a brief note on Olivier's site here: http://olivier.landemaine.free.fr/dougy ... eaver.html
I read it twice and still thought Hall and Oates were Velveteens! Thanks for clearing that up.

I find it fascinating that Doug took a lot (most?) of the blame for the VU breaking up in the press over the years, yet he was the only Velvet that Lou invited to join his solo band. Even if it was just for a year or so, didn’t Doug’s presence on Lou solo records and tours make everyone stop and think there wasn’t that much bad blood between the two?

threechordwonder
Head held high

Post by threechordwonder » 10 Jan 2018 00:24

Phase 8 is now loaded. There's an article about Reed's photography, a VU Rock Giants spread from MM '74 and some Cale stuff. I'm starting to delete the older small files and to consolidate the contents into larger files with slightly logical themes, so you might have seen some pieces before.

threechordwonder
Head held high

Post by threechordwonder » 10 Jan 2018 20:20

Ad now Phase 9 is complete (phases are random, it's just what I can process in a session).

There's some mundane PSAS and Southbank show reviews (the latter brought in from the PDF Archive site), then there's a file of Reed in the seventies, including the Hammersmith reviews previously posted, but they have a bit of context now. Finally a real treat (for me anyway), a very accurate review of a Nico gig at Imperial College London in '75; it was shocking, the audience left in waves throughout her performance.

It's White Horse, it's legal.

mangue
On the wild side

Post by mangue » 13 Jan 2018 16:03

threechordwonder wrote:Ad now Phase 9 is complete (phases are random, it's just what I can process in a session).

There's some mundane PSAS and Southbank show reviews
Thanks threechordwonder for all your work and uploads.
Just checked the PSAS review, and it's from 1995.Oct.13, The Guardian, see https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/260686219/

threechordwonder
Head held high

Post by threechordwonder » 21 Jan 2018 14:55

mangue wrote:
Just checked the PSAS review, and it's from 1995.Oct.13, The Guardian
Thanks mangue, the pdf has been updated and reloaded.

Also, phase 10 is now in place. Theres a Cale interview from StreetLife that I thought I had posted before but can't find any more, and the Sterling "Lost History" interview, plus the Spanish Popster folded magazine with a nice photo of Cale with viola. Then, for diehards only, a Lou concert programme from the mid-seventies, with b&w pics of Lou, some colour pics of Lou and some double page pics of Lou, but no details of concert venues or dates.

threechordwonder
Head held high

Post by threechordwonder » 23 Jan 2018 20:42

Some more scans have been loaded.

First, Phase 11, with Lou as a musician in 76 and 89, plus Lou as a journalist in 90 (interviewing Vaclav Havel). Also an NME article from 1990, an interview given after the Paris "reunion".

Then Phase 99, off-topic articles with VU interest. There's a lenny Bruce retrospective (because of the Eulogy on Chelsea Girl, a piece on Nick Drake with a passing reference to Cale on Bryter Layter, and finally a review of the avant-garde in 76 featuring Stockhausen, Cage and Glass plus a few lines about La Monte Young and Cale.

That's nearly it, there's not much more to come. Use the same link as before and scroll down https://c.mail.com/peterz1970@mail.com/ ... wdvJIhCmBA