For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.

sonic124

Re: 1969

Post by sonic124 » 15 Dec 2017 16:23

Talk about zero fanfare!!!! Been waiting on the these mixes to make there way onto vinyl. Sure the matrix recordings will come at some point.

simonm
Head held high

Post by simonm » 15 Dec 2017 22:47

The cover is very very dull, but i will be happy to have these on vinyl also! I will listen to them as well. Will they have put any effort into the mastering? We can hope! When i was younger I sometimes pasted over covers I really didn't like with other /better pictures. This one is nearly in that bracket for me - probably my least favourite photo of them ever!

I don't think I could handle the Matrix on vinyl, how many LPs would that be??

leamanc
On the wild side

Post by leamanc » 25 Dec 2017 04:05

Got this tonight as a Christmas present, and I've got some issues with it.

First off, it's very quiet. What's the opposite of brickwalling? Usually the volume knob on my receiver is set to about 3/8'ths of the way up when listening to vinyl (a little between 1/4 and 1/2 the way up). I have to turn this up to a little over 1/2 the way up for a comfortable listening level.

Second, there was so much surface noise right out of the box on the first disc. "Foggy Notion" skipped within 10 seconds. So I took it off the turntable, ran it through my Spin Clean. The skip was gone and the surface noise is more tolerable, only noticeable between songs. But it will probably take a couple of more cleanings to get it sounding like new vinyl. Ugh, why does this happen so often with new vinyl these days?

Third, the spindle hole is a tad too small, making it a tight fit on the turntable.

On the second disc, there is a lot less surface noise, and the spindle hole is more the right size, but still a bit tight.

Anyone else have the issues, or did I just get a lemon?

On the plus side, these mixes sound great on vinyl. I've been listening to these mixes on CD (from the 45th anniversary sets) the past week or so to prepare for comparisons, and there's a lot of detail that comes out here on vinyl.

DavidH
Head held high

Post by DavidH » 26 Dec 2017 00:36

leamanc wrote:Ugh, why does this happen so often with new vinyl these days?
I've heard that the sudden 'hipness' of vinyl pressings has caused quality control to go out the window - they're just pumping out vinyl discs as quickly as possible, which means that a high percentage of them come out warped (due to not being left to cool for long enough), and surface noise is now standard. I bought dozens (probably hundreds) of new records pressed in the 80s and remember only a couple of them coming warped or in bad shape - these days, it's a 50/50 chance a new vinyl album will be almost unusable.

leamanc
On the wild side

Post by leamanc » 26 Dec 2017 01:21

DavidH wrote:
leamanc wrote:Ugh, why does this happen so often with new vinyl these days?
I've heard that the sudden 'hipness' of vinyl pressings has caused quality control to go out the window - they're just pumping out vinyl discs as quickly as possible, which means that a high percentage of them come out warped (due to not being left to cool for long enough), and surface noise is now standard. I bought dozens (probably hundreds) of new records pressed in the 80s and remember only a couple of them coming warped or in bad shape - these days, it's a 50/50 chance a new vinyl album will be almost unusable.
Thanks, David. That’s kinda what I figured. It’s really disappointing.

My luck is better than 50/50 with new vinyl. I just wish this particular one would have turned out better, although the surface noise is going away after a couple more cleanings.

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 28 Dec 2017 18:53

This Polydor/UME pressing has been recalled. All I know. I guess due to quality but that is a guess.
underground, overground

Hagbard Celine

Post by Hagbard Celine » 30 Dec 2017 18:58

The 50th Anniversary Box Set contains this lp and not until late February so hopefully it will be resolved by then. I am so stoked to get that (even though I have all those Lps... need to update the old 80's reissue box set and this will do just fine).

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 02 Jan 2018 22:15

Disappointed with Polydor/UMe's effort. So, here's some new artwork. Bootleg style.

Double cover with bleeds. PDF available:

underground, overground