50th Anniversary Vinyl Box Set

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
bleach
Head held high

50th Anniversary Vinyl Box Set

Post by bleach » 20 Dec 2017 22:35

For most of us it's great the 1969 mixes demos are being released as a separate 2LP otherwise if you want everything again and again and again......

To celebrate The Velvet Underground’s 50th anniversary, Verve Records/UMe is releasing The Velvet Underground, a limited-edition career-spanning box that collects all four of the pioneering band’s studio albums in addition to Velvets collaborator Nico’s debut LP, Chelsea Girl, and a reconstruction of the fabled “lost” 1969 album, making the latter available on vinyl for the first time.

The six albums are housed in a special black slipcase will be pressed on 180-gram black vinyl and feature stereo mixes and meticulously reproduced original cover art. The box will also include an exclusive 48-page booklet, featuring vintage photos, lyrics and a new foreword penned by founding member Maureen “Moe” Tucker. Limited to 1000 copies worldwide, the box set is set for release on 23 February 2018.

Assembled by Grammy-winning reissue producer Bill Levenson, The Velvet Underground incorporates six classic records from the band's vintage heyday including 1967's The Velvet Underground and Nico, their landmark debut, produced by the band's mentor Andy Warhol and includes such Velvets classics as ‘Sunday Morning,’ ‘I'm Waiting for the Man,’ ‘Venus in Furs’ and ‘Heroin.’ Nico's 1967 full-length solo debut Chelsea Girl, features songwriting and instrumental contributions from Velvets members Reed, Cale and Morrison as well as a young Jackson Browne. 1968's explosive White Light/White Heat, was the group's final album with co-founder Cale was followed by 1969's relatively restrained, introspective The Velvet Underground; and 1970's Loaded, which was the band's commercial breakthrough as well as its final studio album, with such beloved Reed anthems as ‘Sweet Jane’ and ‘Rock & Roll.’

To honor the band’s half a century legacy, Levenson has loving recreated the Velvet Underground’s much-mythologized “lost” album, 1969, specially for this set. Nearly 50 years later, much remains unclear about these mysterious recordings. While there’s been reports that the album was intended to be the band’s fourth record only to be rejected by MGM, it’s also possible they were scrapped by the band or possibly shelved by them for being ahead of its time. Whatever the real story is, these songs, recorded just after their lauded self-titled album, which include many gems like ‘Foggy Notion,’ ‘Ride Into The Sun,’ and ‘I Can’t Stand It,’ help to tell the band’s enigmatic story and shine a light on their creative restlessness and rapid evolution. For this new vinyl recreation, Levenson has assembled the album using 1969 and 2014 mixes. Although these recordings have been previously released, they’ve never been represented on vinyl in this expansive 2LP format. Side four of the second LP is rounded out with bonus tracks recorded in 1968 including ‘Hey Mr. Rain’ and ‘Stephanie Says.’

The Velvet Underground's gritty, fearless creative vision remains unique and unmatched. Although the band met with little commercial acceptance during its existence, the seminal New York foursome of Lou Reed, John Cale, Sterling Morrison and Maureen Tucker, along with Doug Yule, is now considered one of most important rock and roll bands of all time, laying the groundwork in the ‘60s for punk, alternative, avant-garde, psychedelic rock, post-punk and shoegaze. The Velvets' revolutionary body of work stands as a one of rock's most distinctive catalogs and today their influence looms larger than ever.

The Velvet Undergound vinyl box set is released on 23 February.

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/vel ... l-box-set/

DavidH
Head held high

Re: 50th Anniversary Vinyl Box Set

Post by DavidH » 21 Dec 2017 00:04

What is it with the horrible graphics on this box/the last few vinyl releases? The covers of the first three albums are minimalist, but at least they're super cool - these are just boring.

leamanc
On the wild side

Post by leamanc » 21 Dec 2017 00:52

Totally agree that the graphics are lazy.

And yes, Praise Ye The Lord that the 1969 2xLP is available separately.

That said, I’d probably bite on this if the Loaded vinyl featured the full-length versions of “Sweet Jane,” “Rock and Roll” and “New Age.” The new mix from the DVD of the Loaded 45th anniversary set would be even better.

It’s disappointing that Loaded gets a vinyl reissue every decade or so, but it’s always the same original version, 22 years after the PSAS box gave us a much-improved version of the album.

pineappleaftermath
Beginning to see the light

Post by pineappleaftermath » 21 Dec 2017 01:21

If anyone gets this can they be nice and share what's in the booklet because I'm not going to buy this :)

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 21 Dec 2017 23:52

From what I read the 2LP of 1969 available right now is quite a noisy pressing. Apparently a Euro-released version will arrive in March. At least someone in Denmark said that that is when his local shop will stock it.
underground, overground

Hagbard Celine

Post by Hagbard Celine » 31 Dec 2017 01:55

Ordered this. Need to upgrade my old 80's reissues because they are getting worn. I was holding out for the complete tracking of another view and vu and this will quite nice. Same concerns after hearing the pressing problems with 1969. Will be interested in the over all quality- the cover does not bother me as much as others. It says everything it needs to considering the contents.

Now if some one would just do a Matrix box set and a complete Gymnasium, life might be somewhat complete.

Hagbard Celine

Post by Hagbard Celine » 09 Feb 2018 17:25

Tried to inquire about the pressing of 1969 and got the following response (notice, asked about peel-able banana):

"Hi there,

Thanks again for your patience as we worked to get more information about this product. We have confirmed with our warehouse that The Velvet Underground and Nico (1967) LP does come with a peelable adhesive banana on the cover. Additionally, The 1969 Album included in the set is a new compilation, as this version of The 1969 Album has not been previously released, even though these songs have been previously released on other Velvet Underground collections.

Please feel free to reach out to us with any additional questions or concerns.

Thanks for your patience and support,
Hayley + FH Customer Help "

I specifically inquired about the quality of pressing and mastering using terms described here... so take it for what it's worth.

logic
On the wild side

Post by logic » 22 Feb 2018 18:37

Got the email, mine is dispatched......Now just only one week waiting.

Hagbard Celine

Post by Hagbard Celine » 23 Feb 2018 08:55

have not even gotten my email yet. wonder why!!!!

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 24 Feb 2018 02:35

Somebody who bought it on Hoffman forum, has observed that all the albums are the normal LP releases, with the barcodes printed on the sleeves. And the copy of WLWH is the double 45th anniv. release.
underground, overground