would you follow lou reed if he hadn't been in VU?

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
peppergomez
Head held high

would you follow lou reed if he hadn't been in VU?

Post by peppergomez » 25 Jan 2018 03:15

I have to say that I wouldn't. I like maybe a dozen tunes by him as a solo artist, but the awesomness and impact of VU makes me somewhat interested in him still as a solo artist. Though the only song I can think of offhand that comes within farting distance of VU's power is the title track on Blue Mask.

John Cale I might follow even if he hadn't been in VU, since he's a genius and wasn't trying so hard to become a rock star in his music.

What about others here?

lurid
Head held high

Re: would you follow lou reed if he hadn't been in VU?

Post by lurid » 25 Jan 2018 07:36

Definitely yes. I actually discovered the VU through Lou.

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 26 Jan 2018 01:23

I moved from Lou (Transformer) to the VU and, after Coney Island Baby, stayed with the VU not with Lou.
underground, overground

peppergomez
Head held high

Post by peppergomez » 26 Jan 2018 01:31

I wanted to like most of Lou's solo material but without the band, most of it just doesn't measure up for me. Plus his singing, songwriting, and playing seems a lot more passionate and (in the Cale era) more innovative than his solo material. I suspect he spent most of the 70s in a haze of drugs and sycophants, and was seduced by glam rock into trying to be his own version of Ziggy.

peppergomez
Head held high

Post by peppergomez » 26 Jan 2018 01:31

I wanted to like most of Lou's solo material but without the band, most of it just doesn't measure up for me. Plus his singing, songwriting, and playing in VU seems a lot more passionate and (in the Cale era) more innovative than his solo material. I suspect he spent most of the 70s in a haze of drugs and sycophants, and was seduced by glam rock into trying to be his own version of Ziggy.

MJG196
Born to Lose

Post by MJG196 » 26 Jan 2018 06:47

Hmmm...this post sure seems familiar...
peppergomez wrote:
26 Oct 2016 06:17
Am I the only one here who can't bring themselves to listen to most of Reed's solo material?

When I have, it's just served to remind me how much better his work with VU was. I caught serious flack on FB in a thread for suggesting that he is perhaps rock and roll's biggest disappointment, in the sense of failing to live up to his early promise in VU. Lyrically he continued to show ambition I guess, but the music is tepid so much of the time. And overall his hit/miss ratio is IMO really bad after 1970. It all comes down to taste, I realize.
Bargain bin gold, favorite bands, concerts, photos, and my record collection: All Good Music

peppergomez
Head held high

Post by peppergomez » 26 Jan 2018 08:11

if that's your way of saying I've expressed similar opinions before, then, yeah, I guess it is

bradski
Head held high

Post by bradski » 26 Jan 2018 10:31

I love all LR's 70s albums. But admittedly - there's very very few songs on a par with his VU material; Coney Island Baby and Street Hassle are up there I think.
I got into Lou through Transformer which was a massive hit at my school around 1974. I then heard Mick Ronson's version of White Light/White Heat and when I saw the cheapo 'Safety Film' VU comp on cassette in WH Smiths for about £1.49 around 1975 I grabbed it as it has the original WL/WH on. Don't know what I was expecting but it sounded like 1920s jazz to me with its rinky-dink piano. That cassette was mind-blowing. I Heard Her Call My Name... what!?
80s+ LR I don't listen to, with the exception of Zeitkratzer. Solo Cale I can take or leave. He's an under-achiever imo.
any sounds that we feel would detract from the performance has been left in place

bradski
Head held high

I love all LR's 70s albums. But admittedly - there's very very few songs on a par with his VU material; Coney Island Baby and Street Hassle are up there I think.
I got into Lou through Transformer which was a massive hit at my school around 1974. I then heard Mick Ronson's version of White Light/White Heat and when I saw the cheapo 'Safety Film' VU comp on cassette in WH Smiths for about £1.49 around 1975 I grabbed it as it has the original WL/WH on. Don't know what I was expecting but it sounded like 1920s jazz to me with its rinky-dink piano. That cassette was mind-blowing. I Heard Her Call My Name... what!?
80s+ LR I don't listen to, with the exception of Zeitkratzer. Solo Cale I can take or leave. He's an under-achiever imo.
any sounds that we feel would detract from the performance has been left in place

bradski
Head held high