Transmission Impossible

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
Kill Mick
Head held high

Transmission Impossible

Post by Kill Mick » 16 Mar 2018 13:31

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Transmission-I ... nderground

WTF? Is this legit? And does Disc 1 really contain the complete tracks from All Tomorrow's Parties: Remebering the Velvet Underground?!
Keep the faith

logic
On the wild side

Re: Transmission Impossible

Post by logic » 16 Mar 2018 13:44

Doesn't look legit, and i do think that ATP on disc 1 is from " rehearsals in The Factory before The Exploding plastic Inevitable tour March 7, 1966. "

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 16 Mar 2018 23:41

' rehearsals for the band s first album, bizarrely broadcast across radio waves at the time'

Broadcast? Could there be any truth in this statement? I don't think it's ever been claimed or even mentioned before.
underground, overground

DavidH
Head held high

Post by DavidH » 17 Mar 2018 02:05

iaredatsun wrote:
16 Mar 2018 23:41
' rehearsals for the band s first album, bizarrely broadcast across radio waves at the time'

Broadcast? Could there be any truth in this statement? I don't think it's ever been claimed or even mentioned before.
This is a lie put on a lot of European semi-bootlegs, because there is supposedly some loophole in certain countries that if a recording was broadcast, it can be released. I can't find the actual law, so it might not even be real or current (all the google results on the first few pages I could find were just people reporting what they'd 'heard'), but it's real enough that everyone seems to go along with it, and bootleggers keep putting it on their discs.

Kill Mick
Head held high

Post by Kill Mick » 17 Mar 2018 08:18

It seems to me to fall into that grey area of not quite an official release, not quite a bootleg - semi-official or unofficial but not actually illegal. This seems to be a growing area for CDs, I guess to do with either the expiration of copyright or this 'broadcasted' loophole. There was a Pogues CD that fell into this category a few years back and I remember reading an interview with their guitarist, Phil Chevron, where he basically confirmed what DavidH is saying - that if the tracks had been broadcast in some way there was absolutely nothing they could do to prevent their release. I agree I think the broadcast statement is just a lie to justify releasing them in that category tho.

Either way, looks worth getting hold of for those tracks, tho would be nice to know what the quality is like first. Anyone chanced it yet?
Keep the faith

iaredatsun

Post by iaredatsun » 17 Mar 2018 12:22

DavidH wrote:
17 Mar 2018 02:05
This is a lie put on a lot of European semi-bootlegs, because there is supposedly some loophole in certain countries that if a recording was broadcast, it can be released. I can't find the actual law, so it might not even be real or current (all the google results on the first few pages I could find were just people reporting what they'd 'heard'), but it's real enough that everyone seems to go along with it, and bootleggers keep putting it on their discs.
That makes sense. A diversion tactic. Presumably because these recordings were made in '66 and have never been published they are no longer in copyright. Or did Warhol Foundation make a single CD of this stuff at some point?
underground, overground

iaredatsun

Post by iaredatsun » 17 Mar 2018 12:30

Kill Mick wrote:
17 Mar 2018 08:18

Either way, looks worth getting hold of for those tracks, tho would be nice to know what the quality is like first. Anyone chanced it yet?
Mick. I seriously doubt that this stuff is any better quality than it was when it was made available by a well-known member of this forum years ago, and since copied and put out on the ATP CD mentioned. These new bootees will have used the CD or a copy of it as the source.
underground, overground

MJG196
Born to Lose

Post by MJG196 » 17 Mar 2018 18:32

iaredatsun wrote:
17 Mar 2018 12:30
...made available by a well-known member of this forum years ago, and since copied and put out on the ATP CD mentioned. These new bootees will have used the CD or a copy of it as the source.
Rosie Lee? You don't know her!!!
Bargain bin gold, favorite bands, concerts, photos, and my record collection: All Good Music

Kill Mick
Head held high

Post by Kill Mick » 17 Mar 2018 19:12

I agree the 'Rosie Lee Files' seem to be the most likely source, but it's not impossible they'll be from a lower lineage, given a selection of tracks which sound slightly better to me were on the VU & Nico Deluxe. I'm also still undecided as to whether the tracks on Despatches From The Dream Factory are from a source other than Rosie Lee, to my ears they sound different but that could just be mastering/EQing.
Keep the faith

Kill Mick
Head held high

Post by Kill Mick » 17 Mar 2018 19:29

BTW Track 5 from the Factory rehearsal, which is always listed as Boom Boom, is actually Big Boss Man, a different but similar track.
Keep the faith