56 Ludlow St.

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
Sheila Klein
Head held high

56 Ludlow St.

Post by Sheila Klein » 27 May 2018 21:22

I happened to be in the Lower East Side of NYC a few weeks back, and found myself walking past a street sign that read "Ludlow St." I took a few moments to locate the building at #56, examine its exterior for a while, and shoot some quick pix of it.

The building looks identical to the famous photo of the pre-VU posing in its doorway. That beautiful deco "56" grillwork, in fact, is not only intact, but occurs twice, on each side of what is apparently a storefront in between (gated at the time of my visit). The leftward entrance (facing the building) leads to a cellar apartment, and the other to the upstairs units.

Most interesting was what appeared to be some sort of sculptural item posted at the outer edge of the roof. I tried to capture these details, although my photographic skills are weak at best.

--Phil

Sheila Klein
Head held high

Re: 56 Ludlow St.

Post by Sheila Klein » 27 May 2018 21:25

schnittstelle
Head held high

Post by schnittstelle » 27 May 2018 23:28

So nice! Thank you for sharing these pix!

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 28 May 2018 11:33

Sheila Klein wrote:
27 May 2018 21:22
I happened to be in the Lower East Side of NYC a few weeks back, and found myself walking past a street sign that read "Ludlow St." I took a few moments to locate the building at #56, examine its exterior for a while, and shoot some quick pix of it.
Thank-you. I would never have thought of of going to see that place when I was in NY years ago. I'm surprised how well-kept and as original it looks today. I think the iron-work you can see on the roof is a fence-guard to stop people climbing across onto the roof from the adjoining building.
underground, overground

taxine
Head held high

Post by taxine » 02 Jun 2018 14:04

Keep this Phil's NYC cool buildings thread I've always loved this picture whether it would changes to a sub.parking or not is a classical spot on VU lifetime.Nice pix man !!. 8-) 8-)

http://www.popspotsnyc.com/lou_reed_velvet_underground
But there are no stars in New York sky, they're all on the ground.
This is the place where she lay her head when she went to bed at night....