Newspaper pics of VU EPI in SF in 1966

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
peppergomez
Head held high

Re: Newspaper pics of VU EPI in SF in 1966

Post by peppergomez » 04 Aug 2018 04:58

It prob is the Mother's drums she is playing, since it's sparkely. Isn't this the show where Zappa allegedly said to the audience that the Velvets "sucked" or something like that? Hah. No love lost, I guess.
The thought of this poor audience getting pummeled by European Son, Black Angel's Death Song, Venus in Furs, and Heroin does amuse me. Especially following what I can image were the "groovy" sounds of the Mothers. The Velvets would be the musical equivalent of a stick in the eye. Which is part of why I love them! But dancing to those songs is nearly impossible.

It's also funny to see how little interest the press had in the band, other than Nico. Like someone else pointed out, there aren't many pics of them. You'd think Lou as the main singer would warrant a pic.

It's a shame the light show wasn't in full effect. We've yet to see really good high res photos of the Velvets playing the EPI with the strobes and films running.

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Re: Newspaper pics of VU EPI in SF in 1966

Post by iaredatsun » 15 Aug 2018 01:37

peppergomez wrote:
04 Aug 2018 04:58
It prob is the Mother's drums she is playing, since it's sparkely. Isn't this the show where Zappa allegedly said to the audience that the Velvets "sucked" or something like that? Hah. No love lost, I guess.
The thought of this poor audience getting pummeled by European Son, Black Angel's Death Song, Venus in Furs, and Heroin does amuse me. Especially following what I can image were the "groovy" sounds of the Mothers. The Velvets would be the musical equivalent of a stick in the eye. Which is part of why I love them! But dancing to those songs is nearly impossible.

It's also funny to see how little interest the press had in the band, other than Nico. Like someone else pointed out, there aren't many pics of them. You'd think Lou as the main singer would warrant a pic.

It's a shame the light show wasn't in full effect. We've yet to see really good high res photos of the Velvets playing the EPI with the strobes and films running.
peppergomez wrote:
03 Aug 2018 03:02
https://www.sfchronicle.com/chronicle_v ... 115390.php

It was definitely filmed, see the camera man, standing in the same spot as in the recently shared videoclip. If only we could get the full footage and audio from it.
Great sequence. Thank-you. You can see Moe at her own drum kit later in the sequence. I agree about the photos of the VU live often not being of the group. As is the case in the one you showed here, it's also often Melanga and Woronov doing the whip dance. The VU were not exactly interesting to look at, so I guess it does show that Warhol knew what he was doing. It got the cameras there. I suspect the film camera only shot a few minutes for a news report..
underground, overground