2004 mono banana

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
bradski
Head held high

2004 mono banana

Post by bradski » 25 Aug 2018 12:31

Re: the 2004 mono banana album.
The one with the black sticker that reads "Finally the original MONO VERSION • Limited Edition Classic Lp • High Definition Premium Virgin Vinyl Pressing For Super Fidelity • The Nicest Thing You Can Do For Your Ears"

This is tagged as 'unofficial' on Discogs. There is some discussion in the comments about its legality.
Someone posted a quote from the Steve Hoffman site "Per Bill Levenson (musicman9999), a reissue producer who formerly worked at Universal: "The 2004 mono release is a clever bootleg." "I'm serious. Definitely an unauthorized, unlicensed release."

However - on Olivier's site it's not listed with the boots, it's listed along with all the other official USA LPs.
http://olivier.landemaine.free.fr/vu/di ... psusa.html

I always assumed it's a bootleg .... but is it? It got proper distribution.
Where did they source the audio - any ideas?
Has anyone noticed they missed "And Nico" off the back sleeve. Why did they do that I wonder?
Have all copies got that pressing mark that looks like a scratch on side 2, across Black Angel / European Son? I worked in a record shop when they came in and I seem to remember they were all like that.
any sounds that we feel would detract from the performance has been left in place

gazatthebop
Head held high

Re: 2004 mono banana

Post by gazatthebop » 01 Sep 2018 18:47

bought mine new and sealed around 2010 from a reputable uk store, no idea its counterfeit. My copy has no pressing marks

gazatthebop
Head held high

Re: 2004 mono banana

Post by gazatthebop » 01 Sep 2018 18:50

One funny thing, when Cale announced the VU show at Liverpool Docks there was a feature with Cale on Channel 5 news, in it they played the Russian vinyl lovers counterfeit copy.