Jackson Browne on his time at The Dom

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
Sheila Klein
Head held high

Jackson Browne on his time at The Dom

Post by Sheila Klein » 12 Nov 2018 03:29

From 1998 book Follow The Music: The Life And High Times Of Elektra Records In The Great Years Of American Pop Culture:
Tim [Buckley] was in the Village, at this place Andy Warhol had put up, the Dom. A lot of uptown patrons, business people, stockbrokers, artsy, coming to the Village to get a glimpse of Warhol. He had a film loop of a sky diver falling endlessly, floating, and another one of someone eating a candy bar with this kind of intent look. Nico was on the bill. There were 20'-high posters of her all over town -- beautiful. She was always compared to Marlene Dietrich, with this deep voice and German accent, but less arctic than Dietrich. I was transfixed by her. She had this bunch of songs -- songwriting was the event -- a Tim Hardin song, an unrecorded Dylan song, a Donovan song, a James Taylor song, a Leonard Cohen song. Cohen used to come in and listen to her. Tim asked me if I wanted the job accompanying her, and I said "Absolutely." Tim would back up Nico and play a set of his own and not take it very seriously. He didn't like this place or any of the people in it. He would sing a lot of Johnny Cash songs or whatever he felt like doing, and after a week he said "Hah," and he was out of there.

alfredovu
Head held high

Re: Jackson Browne on his time at The Dom

Post by alfredovu » 18 Nov 2018 18:55

Funny most of the ads read “singing the sounds or the songs of the velvet underground” and Browne does not mention the VU...