Prominent Men: Early Demos

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
Wick Pick
Hangin' 'round

Re: Prominent Men: Early Demos

Post by Wick Pick » 19 Jan 2019 19:25

Yes, TSGA is on the setlist for the Summit High School gig in NJ in early December 1965.

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 20 Jan 2019 12:51

peppergomez wrote:
19 Jan 2019 18:24
If I recall correctly, they played TSGA at their first "official" concert at that high school in NJ in Nov 1965, right?
Wick Pick wrote:
19 Jan 2019 19:25
Yes, TSGA is on the setlist for the Summit High School gig in NJ in early December 1965.
You are both correct. Summit High. December 11th 1965. Around two weeks before Andy gave them Nico at the end of Dec. So Rolling Stone is wrong on that count.

Aside from that it looks like, excepting WickPick’s funny joke, there is no known connection between the song Here She Comes Now and Nico or the Mod Wedding gig.
underground, overground

mangue
On the wild side

Post by mangue » 24 Jan 2019 17:00

iaredatsun wrote:
19 Jan 2019 11:40
No, it was There She Goes Again that was originally written for Nico to sing, not Here She Comes Now. (Check your RS source again.) And again, it is There She Goes Again that Nico sang live – as captured on the Warhol Rehearsal tapes.
Well read point 5.“Here She Comes Now” was originally written to be sung by Nico of
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... ow-205478/ (published 2018.Jan.30, to honor the 50th anniversary of WLWH).

As I wrote Jan.11, I don't know where above info from RS is sourced from (it was new to me).
Regarding Nico singing There She Goes Again, that was indeed rehearsed once on 19666.Jan.03, but pretty unsuccessful...
Futhermore TSGA was written before the band ever met Nico, because played live 1965.Dec.11 at the Summit High School gig and there are to my knowledge no recordings nor mentioning of Nico ever having sung TSGA in live concerts/EPI shows!

Also as I have originally written, the connection of Here She Comes to the Mod Wedding and Nico singing, is a pure assumption by me, not supported with any evidence. But it made and still makes sense to me when overviewing the chronology of happenings and recordings.

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 25 Jan 2019 12:17

mangue wrote:
24 Jan 2019 17:00
iaredatsun wrote:
19 Jan 2019 11:40
No, it was There She Goes Again that was originally written for Nico to sing, not Here She Comes Now. (Check your RS source again.) And again, it is There She Goes Again that Nico sang live – as captured on the Warhol Rehearsal tapes.
Well read point 5.“Here She Comes Now” was originally written to be sung by Nico of
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... ow-205478/ (published 2018.Jan.30, to honor the 50th anniversary of WLWH).

As I wrote Jan.11, I don't know where above info from RS is sourced from (it was new to me).
Regarding Nico singing There She Goes Again, that was indeed rehearsed once on 19666.Jan.03, but pretty unsuccessful...
Futhermore TSGA was written before the band ever met Nico, because played live 1965.Dec.11 at the Summit High School gig and there are to my knowledge no recordings nor mentioning of Nico ever having sung TSGA in live concerts/EPI shows!

Also as I have originally written, the connection of Here She Comes to the Mod Wedding and Nico singing, is a pure assumption by me, not supported with any evidence. But it made and still makes sense to me when overviewing the chronology of happenings and recordings.
So sorry. I was somehow being linked to the earlier RS article about VU&N, where it talks about There She Goes Again. No idea how that happened. You are correct - the RS is about Here She Comes Now. So where did they get the source of that information??? It certainly is not in the Unterberger book.

I can see how a song about Here She Comes... could have originated at a wedding, but unless something turns up in the Lou Reed archive, I guess we'll never know.
underground, overground

msatlof

Post by msatlof » 07 Feb 2024 16:41

Hi folks -- I'm a longtime member/infrequent poster. I am working on a VU walking tour focussing on 64/65/66 and trying to nail down some real minutia.

Specifically I am looking for the exact address of the "Broome Street" sessions/rehearsal space and also an apartment on West 3rd St where I have heard Reed and Cale shared an apartment "above a firehouse."

Earlier in this thread there is a reference to 424 Broome. I'm trying to find that source or others.

I am also trying to find any info on W. 3rd St. (I did find a firehouse or two on W. 3rd).

This is the period i'm looking at from earlier in this thread. If anyone has exact addresse for the 10th st apartments that would be a bonus.

1966 August: the band leaves the Factory for a rehearsal space on Broome Street [somewhere found address of 424 Broome St. for this place]
1966 autumn: John Cale and Sterling Morrison got a place on East 10th Street just east of First Avenue*.[Uptight p.97]
Shortly thereafter, Lou Reed got his place on East 10th just west of First Avenue*.[Uptight p.97]

Lastly if there are any addresses in downtown New York below 10th st you can think of besides ludlow st and grand st apartments let me know.

Thank you, Mark Satlof

bleach
Head held high

Post by bleach » 07 Feb 2024 22:28

Hi Mark,
Do you have the Herb Lester Associates 'The Velvet Underground map of New York'? (Small fold out thing with a silver banana on the front.)
They have a list of sources where they got their info from, might narrow it down a bit.

msatlof

Post by msatlof » 07 Feb 2024 22:35

That's a really good suggestion. I'd forgotten all about it. I do have it. Danny Fields also did a VU map years ago I forgot about too until your note.