Seeking a couple of Cale shows

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
Mark
Head held high

Seeking a couple of Cale shows

Post by Mark » 26 Dec 2018 14:36

Does anyone happen to have either of these two Cale shows?

18-07-77 Brunnsparken Festival, Orebro
31-12-79 CBGB

Been looking out for those two for years but they never seem to surface online. Would be great to hear them if anyone has em.
Michael Barbiero, J.C. Convertino - no no no! Gary Kellgren, Val Valentin - yes yes yes!

PhantomRaspberryBlower
On the wild side

Re: Seeking a couple of Cale shows

Post by PhantomRaspberryBlower » 10 Jan 2019 21:20

I have four tracks in my stash with the date 31-12-79, received as filler. No lineage info at all, so hopefully they are what they claim to be...

https://we.tl/t-jGPuAorvm9

Mark
Head held high

Post by Mark » 11 Jan 2019 11:28

Thanks, that's very kind of you to dig those out. I think those are from the Even Cowgirls Get the Blues LP. What I'm really looking for (but didn't mention in my original post for the sake of brevity) is another set of songs from the same night which I've seen on people's lists in the past, one of which is apparently Tonton Macoute.

I believe most of the 78/79 CBGB shows were taped by Jim Flynn Curtin. Wonder what happened to him?
Michael Barbiero, J.C. Convertino - no no no! Gary Kellgren, Val Valentin - yes yes yes!

gazatthebop
Head held high

Post by gazatthebop » 13 Jan 2019 00:21

There was a guy who taped most of Cale's CBGB's shows 77-79 but several shows had more than one taper
it wasn't Jim Flynn Curtis. The tapes were among items stolen from his car during a house move.

gazatthebop
Head held high

Post by gazatthebop » 13 Jan 2019 00:37

What the CBGB's taper did was make compilations of his favourite performances from the shows he recorded. Those compilations
survived the theft but dates of each performance were not kept. This is why a lot of what is available from that time and venue has the applause cut between the songs.

I believe Ray Manzarek appeared as a guest on keyboards for the 31-12-79 show, Cale also sang "Auld Lang Syne"