Lou Reed Papers, 1958-2015

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
threechordwonder
Head held high

Re: Lou Reed Papers, 1958-2015

Post by threechordwonder » 25 Mar 2019 22:16

lurid wrote:
25 Mar 2019 21:18
hardly one of Lou's finest moments, lyrically....from his 1974 notebook, with chord annotations:

WAS-IS-BEEN
All the things you said
you thought I was dead
everything made me feel aware ....
Seems to be a working title for "Ennui".

lurid
Head held high

Post by lurid » 25 Mar 2019 22:22

That's the first time I've actually written the words out

Wick Pick
Hangin' 'round

Post by Wick Pick » 25 Mar 2019 22:37

Pickwick songs - confirmed written by Lou Reed:

Hot Rod Song
Let The Wedding Bells Ring
Johnny Won't Surf No More
Sad Lonely Orphan Boy
Teardrops In The Sand
I've Got A Tiger In My Tank #cowrite for sure, but I think Lou had a hand in the verses
Won't You Smile Now
The Ostrich
Sneaky Pete
Cycle Annie
You're Driving Me Insane
Love Can Make You Cry
Walk Alone
Put Your Money Down

Wick Pick
Hangin' 'round

Post by Wick Pick » 25 Mar 2019 22:40

Pickwick songs - featuring Lou Reed as a cowriter, unconfirmed if he was the main writer:

I'm Gonna Fight
Hit Me Where It Hurts
Flowers For The Lady
Don't Turn My World Upside Down
Bad Guy
Baby You're The One
Nobody's Gonna Get Hurt
Oh No Don't Do It
One And One
Soul City
Tell Mama Not To Cry
This Rose
What About Me?
Wild Ones
Ya Runnin' But I'll Get Ya

Anyone have anything to add, change?

lurid
Head held high

Post by lurid » 25 Mar 2019 22:57

great lists. I always considered that ALL the Pickwick songs were co-writen by the team - why do you think that Lou was the sole writer for some of them? I've got all of the "known" Pickwick vinyl issues - where writer's credits are given, it's always the whole team who get the credit.
I suppose the answer is in the BMI database - do you have access to that?

Wick Pick
Hangin' 'round

Post by Wick Pick » 25 Mar 2019 23:19

lurid wrote:
25 Mar 2019 22:57
great lists. I always considered that ALL the Pickwick songs were co-writen by the team - why do you think that Lou was the sole writer for some of them? I've got all of the "known" Pickwick vinyl issues - where writer's credits are given, it's always the whole team who get the credit.
I suppose the answer is in the BMI database - do you have access to that?

They were all listed as cowrites, so Lou would get credit on songs even if he didn't contribute much, or even anything to the song. And likewise we would share credit even if he was he sole writer. It seems from the description that he didn't have any help for instance writing The Ostrich. So I'm just trying to differentiate between songs we know that he was the main writer of. Some of the unconfirmed songs are probably Jerry Vance songs or Jimmy Sims songs in reality. It's hard to know for sure but I am assuming that anything Lou takes lead vocals on is 'his' song, as well as other songs that he has mentioned because I'm sure he's only gonna remember the ones he really wrote.
Other than that, I look for Lou's tell tale gift for creative lyrics and beautiful melodies. Love Can Make You Cry might be the best of the bunch. Have you heard that one? Was kinda hoping there might've been a version of that song with Lou on vocal in the archive.

lurid
Head held high

Post by lurid » 26 Mar 2019 20:43

Wick Pick wrote:
25 Mar 2019 23:19
Love Can Make You Cry might be the best of the bunch. Have you heard that one? Was kinda hoping there might've been a version of that song with Lou on vocal in the archive.
I just got out my copy of the Maxine Brown/Irma Dickerson LP to have a listen and I had forgotten that it is still sealed! I wondered why I couldn't recall how it goes.....

lurid
Head held high

Post by lurid » 26 Mar 2019 21:05

Wick Pick wrote:
25 Mar 2019 23:19

They were all listed as cowrites, so Lou would get credit on songs even if he didn't contribute much, or even anything to the song. And likewise we would share credit even if he was he sole writer. It seems from the description that he didn't have any help for instance writing The Ostrich. So I'm just trying to differentiate between songs we know that he was the main writer of. Some of the unconfirmed songs are probably Jerry Vance songs or Jimmy Sims songs in reality. It's hard to know for sure but I am assuming that anything Lou takes lead vocals on is 'his' song, as well as other songs that he has mentioned because I'm sure he's only gonna remember the ones he really wrote.
Other than that, I look for Lou's tell tale gift for creative lyrics and beautiful melodies. Love Can Make You Cry might be the best of the bunch. Have you heard that one? Was kinda hoping there might've been a version of that song with Lou on vocal in the archive.
But I think that I agree in principle - Lou probably sang the songs where he was the main writer. And he's certainly mentioned "Johnny Wont Surf No More" in several interviews throughout the years.

Alos, re the 1974 lyrics notebook. My source says that she donated it to the archive. Some of it was used in the RCA box set that came out a few years back and the rest of it will be in a "complete lyrics" book to be published later this year by Faber and Faber (in the UK at least).

If I could figure out a way to upload pics here I would upload the scans I have (22 sheets in total + 2 songs written on separate sheets)....

LA Bars

Up in the morning
I didn't sleep
I feel like a bird
whose wings are (clipped?)
Up in the morning
out in the (streets?)
I wish I hadn't
taken this time to (trip?)

ooohhh don't you know it's a shame
ooohhh if you're all the same
(inst ? 2X -1-2-3-4)

I think I'm falling
falling falling down
I feel like a leaf that's
falling - turning brown
upon the ground

I saw you standing by the bar
hey (?) give him a 50c
? but don't let it go too far
I hope you can do the
things you (?) say
But you had better
come first
cause I'm not gonna pay
(ooohh?) it would be a
doggone shame
ooohh if you were
like the others, just the same
(inst riff?)
FADE

gazatthebop
Head held high

Post by gazatthebop » 02 Apr 2019 13:01

has no one looked into going to the library with a recording device

lurid
Head held high

Post by lurid » 02 Apr 2019 18:24

I have asked a friend in NYC if that is feasible.