A Day of Listening at the Lincoln Center Library

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
cubguy23
Hangin' 'round

Re: A Day of Listening at the Lincoln Center Library

Post by cubguy23 » 12 Sep 2019 02:40

anybody else visit recently?

hkmartin
Head held high

Re: A Day of Listening at the Lincoln Center Library

Post by hkmartin » 29 Jul 2021 20:11

I went back to the archives on Thursday, July 8 for about 3 1/2 hours (not enough time!). I transcribed lyrics to "Men of Good Fortune" (not the Berlin song) and "Never Get Emotionally Involved..." which I've posted elsewhere.

I've gotten a couple of questions about access to the archives, so I thought I'd post publicly.

When I was there, the library had just reopened from Covid shutdown a few days earlier. What I didn't realize until I got there is that the research room on the 3rd floor, where I went last time, was still closed. I thought I was just out of luck, but I went up to the second floor anyway, where the circulating materials for film and music are held. I asked the librarian there. He had no idea - he said my request was very unusual, but he was extremely helpful. He made several phone calls and found that I could access the recorded material from the terminals right there on the second floor. I didn't even need to get a library card or anything like I did last time. I just clicked and went.

Fortunately, I did have headphones with me. When I went to the 3rd floor last time, they had headphones to lend (though I didn't need them). If you're going, make sure you bring wired headphones with the standard (small) jack (3.5mm, I think). These plugged right into the monitor, and off I went. Like last time, once I was in, nobody paid any attention to me. (Again, no, I did not attempt to "Emerson" anything).

So, the important thing I learned is that it seems like you only need to go to the 3rd floor to access *physical* materials. It's possible that you can access the archives from *any* terminal at the library, as long as you bring your own (wired) headphones. Again, this was just my experience. Things were a little confused, as they had just reopened. Your mileage may vary.