The Velvet Underground Documentary - Call to Fans

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
vudocumentary

The Velvet Underground Documentary - Call to Fans

Post by vudocumentary » 13 May 2019 21:56

The long awaited authorized documentary of one of rock 'n roll's legendary bands is in production, and we are looking to you for help!

The Velvet Underground is calling on their loyal fanbase to hike up to those attics, dust off those boxes and dive into any treasured materials you have been holding on to for a moment like this!

Critically acclaimed director Todd Haynes and his team have been working closely with the band and Universal Music/Verve Records to uncover treasures to bring this film to life, but now we need YOU to make their story come alive in a way that has never been done before!

Since the band’s short career existed in relative obscurity in terms of major coverage by local and national television stations, we are asking you to help us portray the amazing, life changing experiences that occurred with this legendary group by sharing your beloved personal materials of the Velvet Underground including:

* Velvet Underground performance footage/photos
* Photos / home videos of you / your friends at a Velvet Underground show
* Ephemera/posters advertising the performances
* Newspaper clippings from your local print highlighting/advertising the shows

Important Notes:

Please do not send any photos or videos initially, only send us a short note telling us what you have available including the show date, and a general description of what you have (example: “May 26th, 1967 at the Boston Tea Party, 8mm silent footage shot and owned by myself”).

We must know what years the material was shot, what format it was shot in, and what format it is currently in. (i.e. 8mm, 16mm, digital, etc.)

Please let us know if this footage is a dub, original, edited, or a camera original.

Please let us know if you are the sole rights holder for the material.

Please let us know if you're capable of digitizing and uploading the material. If we use the material in the final film we will pay you a licensing fee.

Send the descriptions of your photos, audio, and/or films to us at VUdocumentary@gmail.com, and we will follow up about reviewing your material. Thank you, and stay in touch!

Best,
Daniel

Sheila Klein
Head held high

Re: The Velvet Underground Documentary - Call to Fans

Post by Sheila Klein » 24 May 2019 02:32

What is the Lou/VU Facebook page alluded to recently? I'd like to re-post this message there, but need a clue of where to find it.

Thanks,
--Phil

MrStephen
Beginning to see the light

Post by MrStephen » 24 May 2019 08:00

LOU Reed / Velvet Underground & Friends

vudocumentary

Post by vudocumentary » 28 May 2019 23:12

Thanks, Phil!
Sheila Klein wrote:
24 May 2019 02:32
What is the Lou/VU Facebook page alluded to recently? I'd like to re-post this message there, but need a clue of where to find it.

Thanks,
--Phil

vudocumentary

Post by vudocumentary » 04 Jun 2019 17:35

Bumping this up! Thank you for reading, and let me know if you have any questions!

-Daniel

vudocumentary

Post by vudocumentary » 24 Jun 2019 16:28

Bumping this up again -- thank you!

-Daniel

Mark
Head held high

Post by Mark » 26 Jun 2019 14:45

See if you can get CBS to explore their archives and see if there's a copy of the 1965 Walter Cronkite Show footage with the original VU music on the soundtrack. There's a long section where the voiceover stops which is clearly where the music is supposed to fade up, but it's silent on the copy that circulates. There must have been a version with the music!
8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

walkonvu
Beginning to see the light

Post by walkonvu » 27 Jun 2019 15:18

Try to contact Ben Van Meter. He shot something at Fillmore 1966:
Yeah, I filmed at Warhol’s show. That was the early Fillmore when Graham put up the screens for Andy’s films. While they were in town, somebody invited me, Bob Nelson, and I think Wes Wilson, to interview with one of the newspapers or radio stations with Andy and his crew. It was pretty funny. I mean, the West Coast people were all talking about psychedelics, expanded consciousness, and natural foods, and the East Coast people were talking about heroin. Nico walked in, in leather pants and a silk blouse, and Warhol said, “Whose pants are you wearing today, Nico?”
https://brooklynrail.org/2017/10/film/B ... ory-Zinman

Haight Trashbury
Hangin' 'round

Post by Haight Trashbury » 27 Jun 2019 16:56

Try to find Jamie Klimek (of the Cleveland, OH punk band Mirrors). He taped every Cleveland-area VU shoe from 1966 onwards.

Looper

Post by Looper » 27 Jun 2019 19:25

walkonvu wrote:
27 Jun 2019 15:18
Try to contact Ben Van Meter. He shot something at Fillmore 1966:
Yeah, I filmed at Warhol’s show. That was the early Fillmore when Graham put up the screens for Andy’s films. While they were in town, somebody invited me, Bob Nelson, and I think Wes Wilson, to interview with one of the newspapers or radio stations with Andy and his crew. It was pretty funny. I mean, the West Coast people were all talking about psychedelics, expanded consciousness, and natural foods, and the East Coast people were talking about heroin. Nico walked in, in leather pants and a silk blouse, and Warhol said, “Whose pants are you wearing today, Nico?”
https://brooklynrail.org/2017/10/film/B ... ory-Zinman
Presumably this then is Ben Van Meter filming at the Fillmore show, as this pic comes from the SF Chronicle article:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/chronicle_v ... o-15876628