Concertgebouw Soundboard 1971

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
Mark
Head held high

Re: Concertgebouw Soundboard 1971

Post by Mark » 25 May 2019 10:42

MrStephen wrote:
25 May 2019 02:15
Wow. Was there ever 'more later'?
No. Or nothing that was ever made public, at least.
8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

MrStephen
Beginning to see the light

Post by MrStephen » 25 May 2019 12:05

I've Had a reply:

You can e-mail your request to publieksservice@vpro.nl

Details of the show are:

November 19, 1971
Concertgebouw, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Soundboard, VPRO Radio, Netherlands. The complete tape remains in VPRO's archive but two incomplete tapes circulate. First one is 21 minutes, AM quality. Second one is 4 songs from a one-hour Dutch 747AM radio show Night Train: Het VPRO Muziek Archief - Concertopnamens van Velvet Underground (1971) en Nico (1972) broadcasted on October 19, 2002.

Does anyone have that 2002 tape btw? I've not heard the songs that they broadcast that day.

jt050501

Post by jt050501 » 25 May 2019 13:11

MrStephen wrote:I've Had a reply:

You can e-mail your request to publieksservice@vpro.nl

Details of the show are:

November 19, 1971
Concertgebouw, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Soundboard, VPRO Radio, Netherlands. The complete tape remains in VPRO's archive but two incomplete tapes circulate. First one is 21 minutes, AM quality. Second one is 4 songs from a one-hour Dutch 747AM radio show Night Train: Het VPRO Muziek Archief - Concertopnamens van Velvet Underground (1971) en Nico (1972) broadcasted on October 19, 2002.

Does anyone have that 2002 tape btw? I've not heard the songs that they broadcast that day.
Thanks for the investigation! I've got those 4 2002 songs. I'll send you a link later today. Quality is fantastic.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Wicca Wicca Woo

MrStephen

Post by MrStephen » 25 May 2019 14:45

You're welcome! Keep us updated when you email. And if you need anyone to chip in, I'm sure we will.

Thanks in advance for any tracks. It looks like pretty much all the Reed originals have been aired by this point. But I'm still keen to hear the rest. There are no decent quality recordings of Spare Change, so that's of interest to me...

MrStephen

Post by MrStephen » 25 May 2019 21:50

Thanks for the tracks...But quite confused now. These are the four tracks on Final VU Disc 4, but the quality is almost studio quality. They're fantastic. Thanks, obviously!

But the Olandem site says the 2002 broadcast included just two of these songs, and topped it up with Waiting and Sister Ray. So what's the story with these then? They're better than just speed corrected versions of the Final VU Tracks. And do Waiting and Sister Ray circulate in similar form?

Also, Yule was one hell of a guitarist, wasn't he? Shame he didn't let Willie take more piano parts. It's great hearing it used live on White Light. Sounds more like the recording than other VU versions I can think of!

jt050501

Post by jt050501 » 25 May 2019 21:54

MrStephen wrote:Thanks for the tracks...But quite confused now. These are the four tracks on Final VU Disc 4, but the quality is almost studio quality. They're fantastic. Thanks, obviously!

But the Olandem site says the 2002 broadcast included just two of these songs, and topped it up with Waiting and Sister Ray. So what's the story with these then? They're better than just speed corrected versions of the Final VU Tracks. And do Waiting and Sister Ray circulate in similar form?

Also, Yule was one hell of a guitarist, wasn't he? Shame he didn't let Willie take more piano parts. It's great hearing it used live on White Light. Sounds more like the recording than other VU versions I can think of!
The whole story about this performance is confusing, interesting, fun, and odd. The band was fantastic and I'm praying that the other tracks get found (Especially Sister Ray/Never Going Back To Georgia). The 4 tracks are also from a different recording entirely because they have different parts of the audio available (like an announcer at the end of Oh! Sweet Nuthin') which shows that they weren't simply severely degraded for Final V.U. and that someone's got a recording of at least some of the tracks.

Wicca Wicca Woo

MrStephen

Post by MrStephen » 25 May 2019 22:04

Presumably they circulate somewhere, tho. The Olandem states that Sister Ray was broadcast by the station as recently as 2002. And to know that means someone's heard it and, you'd think, has taped it.

I actually have a 1966 rehearsal tape of Willie and Walter's band doing Never going Back to Georgia. It's pretty good sound quality, but quite lacklustre compared to the 71 VU versions. Is it of interest to anyone, or is its existence common knowledge?

jt050501

Post by jt050501 » 25 May 2019 22:10

MrStephen wrote:Presumably they circulate somewhere, tho. The Olandem states that Sister Ray was broadcast by the station as recently as 2002. And to know that means someone's heard it and, you'd think, has taped it.

I actually have a 1966 rehearsal tape of Willie and Walter's band doing Never going Back to Georgia. It's pretty good sound quality, but quite lacklustre compared to the 71 VU versions. Is it of interest to anyone, or is its existence common knowledge?
I've never heard of that rehearsal tape! I'd love to hear it if you have a link! And that's just odd about Sister Ray, how it's never come into the light.

Wicca Wicca Woo

jt050501

Post by jt050501 » 26 May 2019 00:04

UPDATE: https://www.vpro.nl/speel~POMS_VPRO_156 ... nico~.html

I found the 2002 broadcast which has I'm Waiting For The Man (some instruments and vocals are unable to heard multiple times throughout the recording. Walter Powers' bass seems to stay audible though.) and Sister Ray/Never Going Back To Georgia is here too and sounds FANTASTIC. Interestingly, the recording of White Light/White Heat is ANOTHER different recording with a quick introduction to the song by Doug. Cool It Down seems to be identical to the soundboard non-Final V.U. version though. All in Stereo. Four Nico tracks are included here too from a broadcast she did separately (Janitor Of Lunacy, The Falconer, You Forgot To Answer, & Abschied)
Wicca Wicca Woo

jt050501

Post by jt050501 » 26 May 2019 00:21

I also forgot to mention the incomplete After Hours that closes it out. Begins nicely and then the announcer begins talking over it before it fades out.
Wicca Wicca Woo