Favourite Cale-Era Bootlegs

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
Elvis Plebsley
Head held high

Re: Favourite Cale-Era Bootlegs

Post by Elvis Plebsley » 02 Jun 2019 21:31

iaredatsun wrote:
02 Jun 2019 15:16
Is the best version of the 'Nico Crying Reel' music from the Raro DVD?
It suffers with the bleed through of Ondine's overlapping monologue. The most complete version is from a single screen version that I obtained on dvdr a long while back. Unfortunately, like the Raro Video dvd, it cuts the exit music from the end of the film. The best version of that is found on a single sided lp from a couple of years back. I have a lossy copy of that.

Elvis Plebsley
Head held high

Post by Elvis Plebsley » 02 Jun 2019 21:42

Currently listening to Symphony of Sound, that would be on my list.

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 03 Jun 2019 23:21

Elvis Plebsley wrote:
02 Jun 2019 21:31
iaredatsun wrote:
It suffers with the bleed through of Ondine's overlapping monologue. The most complete version is from a single screen version that I obtained on dvdr a long while back. Unfortunately, like the Raro Video dvd, it cuts the exit music from the end of the film. The best version of that is found on a single sided lp from a couple of years back. I have a lossy copy of that.
Thank-you. I have the LP.
underground, overground

iaredatsun

Post by iaredatsun » 04 Jun 2019 00:38

Elvis Plebsley wrote:
02 Jun 2019 21:31
iaredatsun wrote:
The single sided LP I have sounds pretty bad. Very muffled, like it has been recorded in a cinema auditorium on a mic. Is that the same as your recording?

It's a bit annoying to listen to Pope Ondine talking whilst the music plays, but the music is much clearer on the Raro DVD
underground, overground

Elvis Plebsley
Head held high

Post by Elvis Plebsley » 04 Jun 2019 16:16

iaredatsun wrote: The single sided LP I have sounds pretty bad. Very muffled, like it has been recorded in a cinema auditorium on a mic. Is that the same as your recording?

It's a bit annoying to listen to Pope Ondine talking whilst the music plays, but the music is much clearer on the Raro DVD
I reckon it is. It's definitely an 'audience' recording. Despite its flaws, it's miles better than the version I had for years. It's the same recording, but many generations further removed.

If memory serves, I contacted Raro when they were working on Chelsea Girls, trying to persuade them to make all the music available, with separate channels for Ondine /Nico and keeping all the Exit Music on the soundtrack. Looked promising at first, but in the end they went with what we have.

iaredatsun

Post by iaredatsun » 05 Jun 2019 01:01

Elvis Plebsley wrote:
04 Jun 2019 16:16
iaredatsun wrote: The single sided LP I have sounds pretty bad. Very muffled, like it has been recorded in a cinema auditorium on a mic. Is that the same as your recording?

I reckon it is. It's definitely an 'audience' recording. Despite its flaws, it's miles better than the version I had for years. It's the same recording, but many generations further removed.

If memory serves, I contacted Raro when they were working on Chelsea Girls, trying to persuade them to make all the music available, with separate channels for Ondine /Nico and keeping all the Exit Music on the soundtrack. Looked promising at first, but in the end they went with what we have.
Odd, isn't it? The DVD has a stereo audio track (according to box), and they could have easily separated them (assuming they were given each side of the film as separate files/reels). Perhaps it was all already mixed down to mono? I was hopeful at first. At least you gave it a shot. :)
underground, overground

Mark
Head held high

Post by Mark » 05 Jun 2019 12:20

From Chelsea Girls, a single screen version of Marie Menken/the Gerard Malanga Story:

https://youtu.be/lFvAoL6rQjw

And Nico Crying (sadly without the chunga-chunga instrumental section):

https://youtu.be/TBOeTMAC09U
https://youtu.be/g0mIXf4C70o

It's too bad UMG didn't strike a deal with the Warhol museum to use some of the audio here on VU&N 45th. More interesting, imo, than the Factory Rehearsal bits.
8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

Low
Beginning to see the light

Post by Low » 05 Jun 2019 13:12

Mark wrote:
05 Jun 2019 12:20
It's too bad UMG didn't strike a deal with the Warhol museum to use some of the audio here on VU&N 45th. More interesting, imo, than the Factory Rehearsal bits.
Agree, it's a shame they didn't include any of the soundtracks at all.

Here's a short segment from the Nico Icon documentary in better quality. Would be real nice to hear the full reel sounding like that!
https://youtu.be/R1vkiQdEU7M?t=2471

iaredatsun

Post by iaredatsun » 05 Jun 2019 13:38

We need another boxset. The Cale and Soundtrack Years.
underground, overground