George Nardo

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
MrStephen
Beginning to see the light

George Nardo

Post by MrStephen » 15 Jun 2019 01:26

Hi all,

George Nardo is one of the most obscure Velvet 'members'- he took over on bass at the end of the Max's tenure after Lou quit, but wasn't around when the band regrouped with Moe after the Summer, and with Walter Powers in his slot instead.

He also appeared on Moe's solo version of I'm Sticking With You with her, Walter, Willie Alexander and Jonathan Richman.

Does anyone have any questions for him?

Mark
Head held high

Re: George Nardo

Post by Mark » 15 Jun 2019 14:59

Blimey.
8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

MrStephen
Beginning to see the light

Post by MrStephen » 15 Jun 2019 16:36

Not that crazy a find. I just emailed the studio he runs.

I hadn't been aware he'd actually been in the band til quite recently. I thought they'd played as a three piece briefly after Lou left, and then recruited Walter before Moe returned. But according to the Olandem site, George was the replacement for the final dates at Max's. We don't know anything about that time, so hopefully he can give some info!

Mark
Head held high

Post by Mark » 15 Jun 2019 20:36

It'd be interesting to know what his perspective was on the Lou situation at the time. Was it known he was gone for good, or was Sesnick initially spinning it as "Lou's taking a break, he'll be back in a few weeks"?

This would be right when the finishing touches were being put to Loaded, and indeed around the time it was being released. Does he have any recollection of all that happening?

Was he still in the band when the Yule-led VU recorded Friends and She'll Make You Cry, or was it Walter by then?

Did they do many gigs at that time, other than finishing the Max's engagement?

And (of course)... Does he have any tapes or photos?
8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1