Matrix Tapes on 8LP vinyl set arriving

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
velvetfan
Head held high

Re: Matrix Tapes on 8LP vinyl set arriving

Post by velvetfan » 07 Aug 2019 21:01

hkmartin wrote:
07 Aug 2019 20:30
I think it's been established that there is nothing on the vinyl that isn't on the CDs. I'm still on the fence too.
thanks. I assumed but just wanted to ask.

leamanc
On the wild side

Post by leamanc » 09 Aug 2019 05:53

Since the US release is delayed a bit, I imported a copy from the UK. Due to the pound losing value, I paid right around what the US price is, and got it in 3 days via UPS.

I 100% agree with vupilgrim—the sound is incredible and a noticeable improvement over the CDs. Outstanding job on mastering here.

1969 Velvets are my favorite Velvets. Some of you may remember I “remastered” 1969 Live using the Matrix and End Cole Avenue CDs as the sources, so I know this material very well. This is a pricey set, but worth every penny.

velvetfan
Head held high

Post by velvetfan » 09 Aug 2019 06:26

leamanc wrote:
09 Aug 2019 05:53
Since the US release is delayed a bit, I imported a copy from the UK. Due to the pound losing value, I paid right around what the US price is, and got it in 3 days via UPS.

I 100% agree with vupilgrim—the sound is incredible and a noticeable improvement over the CDs. Outstanding job on mastering here.

1969 Velvets are my favorite Velvets. Some of you may remember I “remastered” 1969 Live using the Matrix and End Cole Avenue CDs as the sources, so I know this material very well. This is a pricey set, but worth every penny.
Goddammit! I guess I am going to need to sell some goodies to get my copy! Dammit! Maybe the next volume of the Velvets MERK set will be delayed. That is usually the only music I buy now. I am on Volume 20, I believe, so it has to be drawing to a close soon. Then I get my custom box to store the set. :)

hkmartin
On the wild side

Post by hkmartin » 09 Aug 2019 19:54

I caved and ordered from Amazon France. I don't know where you are, but it was $128.77, including shipping, to the US.

velvetfan
Head held high

Post by velvetfan » 09 Aug 2019 23:51

hkmartin wrote:
09 Aug 2019 19:54
I caved and ordered from Amazon France. I don't know where you are, but it was $128.77, including shipping, to the US.
I am in the US. That is about $75 cheaper than when it was first posted. Is it cheaper because of currency rate? You may have helped me figure out how to afford it. thanks

hkmartin
On the wild side

Post by hkmartin » 10 Aug 2019 05:56

velvetfan wrote:
09 Aug 2019 23:51
hkmartin wrote:
09 Aug 2019 19:54
I am in the US. That is about $75 cheaper than when it was first posted. Is it cheaper because of currency rate? You may have helped me figure out how to afford it. thanks
I got the clue about Amazon France from over on the Steve Hoffman forum. I'm a lurker over there - I don't post.
Actually, it was a little bit cheaper over there initially, but by the time I decided to pull the trigger, the price had gone up a bit.
I don't know why, but box sets are sometimes cheaper from Amazon UK or Amazon France.

fletchercjohnson

Post by fletchercjohnson » 12 Mar 2020 16:32

The music on these recordings is the earth's greatest treasure. I don't know if the vinyl master is an improvement over the CD master but, regardless, it's incredible.

The vinyl packaging on the other hand is pretty weak. The book is 4 pages long, featuring two pictures of the Velvets on stage and a short description of that time by David Fricke.

Each record is housed in a pretty nondescript picture sleeve (computer text of the band name and song titles on the front and back) and sadly, upon opening my box for the first time, almost all of the glue had separated on all 8 sleeves! I'm going to have to break out the super glue and put them back together.

When compared to the beauty of the Sundazed triple gate fold Quine Tapes box, this looks pretty cheap.

I'm not upset I bought it because the music within is perfect but I wish they had done a little more.

I'm new to the forum (I have been reading for about a year. Right now I'm way back in the archives) but this is my first post. Sorry to start on a bit of a downer. Hopefully I'll have some positive Velvet news to report soon!

velvetfan
Head held high

Post by velvetfan » 18 Mar 2020 19:32

My funds are very limited and I am starting to sell off parts of my large collection for bills and other VU goodies. This is an item I have been considering for a while and your input absolutely does help. Thanks