JC on WPIX, June '79: Fever In My Pocket

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
simonm
Head held high

JC on WPIX, June '79: Fever In My Pocket

Post by simonm » 06 Jul 2019 22:44

I'm sure almost everyone knows this recording, apparently from the Gymnasium in April '67, but most of the bootlegs cut off the interview part - it's not a startling revelation, but it came up on another thread, and after sharing the EVO Noise track a few weeks ago, I thought I would do it again...

This version is from a tape I bought in 1982, where it's given the title Fever In My Pocket (which is stolen from a line in Bob Dylan's Absolutely Sweet Marie, fact fans). For the first second it has another track playing backwards over it, which may be something that happened when it was duplicated - the version on And So On is a bit cleaner sounding with more high end, and doesn't have this 'interference' at the start. I think the And So On version is also a bit faster than this one:

https://megaupload.nz/A6k9paydn2/fever-in-my-pocket_wav

For people who own Alfredo's essential Inevitable World book, there is a bit more of Cale's interview on the accompanying CD, but i took the CD out of the book and couldn't find it to check this evening.

schnittstelle
Head held high

Re: JC on WPIX, June '79: Fever In My Pocket

Post by schnittstelle » 07 Jul 2019 10:41

Thank you very much!

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 07 Jul 2019 20:41

simonm wrote:
06 Jul 2019 22:44
I'm sure almost everyone knows this recording, apparently from the Gymnasium in April '67, but most of the bootlegs cut off the interview part - it's not a startling revelation, but it came up on another thread, and after sharing the EVO Noise track a few weeks ago, I thought I would do it again...

This version is from a tape I bought in 1982, where it's given the title Fever In My Pocket (which is stolen from a line in Bob Dylan's Absolutely Sweet Marie, fact fans). For the first second it has another track playing backwards over it, which may be something that happened when it was duplicated - the version on And So On is a bit cleaner sounding with more high end, and doesn't have this 'interference' at the start. I think the And So On version is also a bit faster than this one:

https://megaupload.nz/A6k9paydn2/fever-in-my-pocket_wav

For people who own Alfredo's essential Inevitable World book, there is a bit more of Cale's interview on the accompanying CD, but i took the CD out of the book and couldn't find it to check this evening.
Thank-you for posting this Simon.

He doesn't sound nearly as hesitant as has been made out, when he identifies it as being from the Gymnasium.

Just as warning to others. Do not get tricked into the Flash Player download routine. It will be a worm of some kind. I needed to click download 3 times before I got past that dangerous fiction.
underground, overground

simonm
Head held high

Post by simonm » 08 Jul 2019 08:20

oops - sorry about megaupload.nz, beware of what you click!
yep - I remembered the lilt of his accent (stronger then than now) as being slight hesitation, but it's the same when he says 'gy-imnasium' as when he says 've-elvet underground'.
Also listening closely to it several times, it doesn't sound like the Gym GIFIL at all, but it's not that different in sound to Booker T.

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 08 Jul 2019 17:29

Simon. I think Cale sounds a little bit tongue-tied nearly every other word he gets out here.

This copy sounds clearer to me than the version I have on vinyl (Everything you ever heard). At least from memory. Thanks again.
underground, overground

lurid
Head held high

Post by lurid » 08 Jul 2019 21:09

I dug out my old cassette of this - ol' Captain Beaky's "guest DJ" appearance on WPIX FM on 3rd June 1979. It looks to be about 40 min long so I'm not sure if it's the whole show or not. Immediately prior to the VU track, the DJs and John are talking about cueing up a song ("Kidnapped" by The Resistance). If that song was broadcast, it's missing on my tape, because after about a second of silence, the recording then goes straight into "Guess I'm Falling In Love", with the 1st 7 seconds or so overlaid with the odd "reverse track" artefact. At the end the DJs try to get John to talk about it but he's obviously more interested in talking about his upcoming CBGBs shows. "enough" he says.....

As you say, the "And So On" version doesn't have the "reverse track" artefact and does sound very slightly faster and a little better, quality-wise. Listening to both, it just seems that the "And So On" version is taken from a lower-generation source tape which doesn't have the odd artefact present ie the VU content is identical.

Listen to how John teases us by just throwing in that he "...just stumbled over these tapes of...live performances...." cue gnashing of teeth all round!

More seriously, Captain Beaky clearly had this tape in his possession in 1979, so it seems unlikely that he got it from Tony Conrad (didn't that happen much later?). I now suspect that more than 1 set was taped at the Gymnasium and this is from that other tape. I mean if they had a tape machine set up why only tape 1 set?