Concentration Moon

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
Sheila Klein
Head held high

Concentration Moon

Post by Sheila Klein » 22 Sep 2019 18:08

The Discogs.com entry for the Mothers Of Invention's 1968 album We're Only In It For The Money includes a very curious item:
... a spoken segment of "Concentration Moon" referring to The Velvet Underground was ... deleted.
Anyone know anything more about this? I'm especially curious to know where the information comes from, and, most of al, what the deleted segment said!

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Re: Concentration Moon

Post by iaredatsun » 22 Sep 2019 18:33

I can't recall whether it was reversed , deleted, reversed and undeleted, restored or what. It's the bit where Kelgren the engineer slags of the VU who are working in the same studio. It plays backwards when I have heard it. Maybe not be on all versions. Perhaps Zappa later reinserted it?

from wiki : 'a spoken segment of "Concentration Moon" in which Kellgren called The Velvet Underground "as shitty a group as Frank Zappa's group"'

I think it's meant to be in at the 1.05 minute mark around where you hear Kelgren whispering 'tomorrow I get to ... Frank Zappa... and the day after that .. the day after that......'. I think that's where the VU reference has been deleted. I'd need to check which versions have it, though.

Presume this is around the same point in time that Zappa suggested to Reed how to hit a canteloupe melon to get the effect of Waldo Geoffries's head splitting open.
underground, overground

iaredatsun

Post by iaredatsun » 22 Sep 2019 18:47

Here's what it says as clearly as I can hear it:

Kelgren whispers:

'Tomorrow I get to do a Frank Zappa creation... and the day after that .. the day after that......, [EDITED OUT] – 'Also at the same I get to work with The Velvet Underground which is the shittier/shittiest group as Frank Zappa's group'

You can hear this on the Lumpy Money Project-Object Disk 2 version of the song.
underground, overground

iaredatsun

Post by iaredatsun » 22 Sep 2019 19:23

I think I'm allowed to post the 19 second extract. Two weeks until the file is deleted:

https://we.tl/t-VBSAMYwyxl
underground, overground

DavidH
Head held high

Post by DavidH » 23 Sep 2019 01:22

There are a number of different versions of this record, in various amounts of completeness/censoredness regarding the VU line. This webpage gives you more information than you'll ever need: http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/v ... money.html

peppergomez
Head held high

Post by peppergomez » 23 Sep 2019 05:09

that's funny. and he was probably complaining about the upcoming WL/WH sessions, which he eventually walked out of (pressing record and leaving the room during sister ray)

sm7609
Hangin' 'round

Post by sm7609 » 10 Oct 2019 22:43

Indeed he is referring to the WL/WH sessions here! Those sessions ran almost concurrent with the last of the Only Money sessions.