1965 interview with Nico about meeting Dylan in 1964 in Paris

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
mangue
On the wild side

1965 interview with Nico about meeting Dylan in 1964 in Paris

Post by mangue » 18 Oct 2019 23:47

Just found a 1965 interview with Nico about meeting Dylan in 1964.May in Paris.

The Real Bob Dylan... by Nico who first met him in Paris
1965.Sep.18, Disc Weekly, page 5

Bob Dylan has already become a folk myth. Under the myth there is the shock-headed 22-year-old man. The man whose aggressive attack on life comes out through his protest songs and his sarcastic, violent and startling way of singing.
It is hard to imagine this sort of person indulging in the romantic. But this is the picture of Bob Dylan that singer Nico has.
Attractive, fair-headed Nico and Dylan met in Paris 18 months ago. They were introduced by actor Ken Carruthers in a pavement cafe one evening.
"He spoke a lot that first time," Nico said. "At first, you know, he's very open. Then suddenly he will go back into his shell.
"We all went back to my studio flat that evening and I cooked a meal.
"They decided to stay in my studio. In those days Bob was broke and they were staying in a terrible dark, dismal hotel. It was not a good place to work.
"During the week he stayed he wrote many songs, including 'It Ain't Me Babe'.
"I didn't know what to expect when we met. He was like a god to me. He doesn't put himself out. And he never tries to change anyone. He accepts or rejects them as he expects them to treat him.
"He doesn't like to go out much. Only walking. Most of the time he talks about people he knows. He loves beautiful people and beautiful movies. He used to write all the time even with the studio full of people.
"He is scared of being alone. He could cut himself off and write even with a lot of noise around him."
After he left France, Dylan sometimes phoned Nico in Paris. He never writes letters. Once he played her a new single he had recorded.
"He asked me what I thought. I had to say ten times how good it was before he was sure. He always wants to know what you think and what you are thinking about."

issue of Disc Weekly posted at 2019.Apr.25 at
https://1960smusicmagazines.com/2019/04 ... r-18-1965/
page 5 with Nico
https://i2.wp.com/1960smusicmagazines.c ... LIES-6.jpg

mangue
On the wild side

Re: 1965 interview with Nico about meeting Dylan in 1964 in Paris

Post by mangue » 18 Oct 2019 23:52

I was always a bit sceptical about Nico really meeting and spending some time with Dylan, but the above article proves my scepticism to be unfair.
The interview itself was published 1.5 year after the meeting and when Nico's first single was just released in the UK.

Other sources about Dylan in Paris in 1964 [and meeting Nico]:

*acc. "No Direction Home" [book by Robert Shelton]
After an appearance in London in 1964.May, Dylan made a lightning trip to Paris and then to Greece. [note: Nico is not listed in the index, so seems nowhere mentioned in the book]

*acc. http://www.bjorner.com/64.htm
1964.May.17: Bob Dylan concert Royal Festival Hall, London
1964.May.21 - early June: Dylan arrives in Paris where he stays with the French singer Hughes Aufray. He also meets Nico, to whom he later donates his song I'll Keep It With Mine, which she includes on her first album ["Chelsea Girl"].
1964.Jun.09: recording session for the "Another Side Of Bob Dylan" album in Columbia Studios, New York City

schnittstelle
Head held high

Re: 1965 interview with Nico about meeting Dylan in 1964 in Paris

Post by schnittstelle » 20 Oct 2019 00:25

What a great and interesting find! Thank you very much!