'A Walk Into The Sea' Documentary - Footage

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
bleach
Head held high

'A Walk Into The Sea' Documentary - Footage

Post by bleach » 07 May 2020 22:06

I have always been a fan of ‘A Walk Into the Sea: Danny Williams and the Warhol Factory’ - the 2007 documentary by Esther Robinson. It’s labour of love and a really interesting piece so firstly if you haven’t watched it it's recommended viewing for any fan of the early Factory years (aren’t we all?!)

So I finally had some time recently to look more closely at this documentary as it seems a recurring theme that there's some quality VU related footage contained herein.

Firstly I have to state that I’m not an expert on Warhol circle films but I went through it and pulled out any footage that looked to be of interest. This I have edited together and put up. There were quite a few scenes which I’d always assumed were VU related but when I went through it fairly closely (some sections frame by frame) I could then rule out quite a bit that are definitely not of VU interest. There was a ‘dance’ scene which features quite prominently which I always thought might be the VU live but turned out to be 2 dull herberts in a hall, identified by a Rickenbacker and preppy haircuts!

Here ya go..

https://youtu.be/VwfckqVahfo

Mark
Head held high

Re: 'A Walk Into The Sea' Documentary - Footage

Post by Mark » 08 May 2020 10:29

Great! Thanks for doing that. Is it all Danny Williams' stuff? The colour bits look quite similar to Ron Nameth's footage.
8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

bleach
Head held high

Post by bleach » 08 May 2020 11:45

Thanks Mark, well there's a question! Yes some of the colour stuff is probably from Ron Nameth (in reasonable quality though)

Unfortunately it's a bit of a mish mash and it's difficult to tell how much of it is from Williams archive. After years of hearing that there is VU footage on that documentary I was surprised how little there actually was when I went through it all closely - I really like the good quality B&W footage of Lou at the beginning though.

taxine
Head held high

Post by taxine » 08 May 2020 13:10

I'm a big fan too,bleach !!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145879

scroll down to botton of this thead :P
But there are no stars in New York sky, they're all on the ground.
This is the place where she lay her head when she went to bed at night....