What Danny Fields VU reel-to-reel is mentioned in this?

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

What Danny Fields VU reel-to-reel is mentioned in this?

Post by iaredatsun » 19 Aug 2020 13:39

Jeff Gold who found the Cale mix of Stooges also found a reel-to-reel of the Velvet Undeground in the same boxes of Danny Fields' tapes.

I wonder what it could have been? Has he ever said? Because he took the tapes to a studio to listen to them. I guess it would have been '69 era but we can only hope it was earlier. Has he ever said?

https://longreads.com/2019/04/29/the-en ... ges-album/
underground, overground

searchin4mymainline
On the wild side

Re: What Danny Fields VU reel-to-reel is mentioned in this?

Post by searchin4mymainline » 19 Aug 2020 17:04

I think I previously inferred it was the Max's rehearsal mentioned here http://olivier.landemaine.free.fr/vu/li ... erf70.html, unless anyone knows differently?

searchin4mymainline
On the wild side

Post by searchin4mymainline » 19 Aug 2020 17:23

And googling it, I have just discovered that Brigid Polk, who taped it, died a month ago.

iaredatsun

Post by iaredatsun » 20 Aug 2020 02:27

searchin4mymainline wrote:
19 Aug 2020 17:04
I think I previously inferred it was the Max's rehearsal mentioned here http://olivier.landemaine.free.fr/vu/li ... erf70.html, unless anyone knows differently?
Thank-you. I hadn't seen your previous post on the subject.
underground, overground

searchin4mymainline
On the wild side

Post by searchin4mymainline » 20 Aug 2020 12:18

iaredatsun wrote:
20 Aug 2020 02:27
Thank-you. I hadn't seen your previous post on the subject.
I don't think I did a previous post about it, but I read the article when it was first online, got excited about the possibility of what might be on the VU reel, then Googled and found the reference to the Max's rehearsal tape and concluded that was probably it. The booklet for the 2004 Rhino double CD release of Live at Max's also mentions reels from Danny Fields supposedly being used to prepare that release, in addition to what was in the Atlantic vaults, and the promo of that release included some of the rehearsal stuff, although none of it made it onto what eventually came out.

I'd love it it if I'm wrong about this and it's actually something new, but I would have thought we'd have heard about it by now if so.

iaredatsun

Post by iaredatsun » 20 Aug 2020 20:36

searchin4mymainline wrote:
20 Aug 2020 12:18

I don't think I did a previous post about it, but I read the article when it was first online, got excited about the possibility of what might be on the VU reel, then Googled and found the reference to the Max's rehearsal tape and concluded that was probably it. The booklet for the 2004 Rhino double CD release of Live at Max's also mentions reels from Danny Fields supposedly being used to prepare that release, in addition to what was in the Atlantic vaults, and the promo of that release included some of the rehearsal stuff, although none of it made it onto what eventually came out.

I'd love it it if I'm wrong about this and it's actually something new, but I would have thought we'd have heard about it by now if so.
It sounds like you did your homework on it. And I think a 1970 recording is much more likely somehow. I think I'm going to go back to dreaming that some VU stuff will eventually come out the Lou Reed archive or John Cale's basement.
underground, overground

gazatthebop
Head held high

Post by gazatthebop » 15 Sep 2020 17:05

where does this talk of Cale having a basement of VU tapes originate?

searchin4mymainline
On the wild side

Post by searchin4mymainline » 15 Sep 2020 20:17

gazatthebop wrote:
15 Sep 2020 17:05
where does this talk of Cale having a basement of VU tapes originate?
Probably from the quote from Cale in Billboard, August 19 1995, regarding finding the tape used for first disc of PSAS in his basement:

"There's still stuff down there that I just haven't had the heart to... rummage around in," Cale says. "I knew, kind of, which boxes had what in them. I picked one and took it to Polygram. I was wrong. What I was given back on a DAT was not what I thought was on that tape at all."

iaredatsun

Post by iaredatsun » 15 Sep 2020 21:18

Also, the reference to a basement of tapes is kind of figurative. We know he has tapes and we know Conrad gave him a box of tapes that he was previously safe-keeping. Where Cale actually keeps them is neither here nor there. And, of course, I doubt anyone is expecting a basement 'full' of tapes. Just 'some' tapes.
underground, overground