Richie Unterberger on the making of White Light/White Heat*

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
peppergomez
Head held high

Re: Richie Unterberger on the making of White Light/White Heat*

Post by peppergomez » 29 Sep 2020 21:36

It's a shame they didn't record a version of What Goes On w/ Cale during those sessions. Sterling is on record as saying the summer of '68 was THE definitive version of that song because of Cale's organ playing. I believe it. Maybe one of these days a live tape will surface.

Kill Mick
Head held high

Post by Kill Mick » 30 Sep 2020 08:07

searchin4mymainline wrote:
29 Sep 2020 09:05
iaredatsun wrote:
26 Sep 2020 22:26
I think the most convincing thing is the similarity between the songs on the 'july 68' tape and the other 3rd album sessions tape in the LR archive. Yes. I think you are right. At least I can now stop hoping for more Cale recordings!
Yes. If you look at it in the full context of what's listed here, it seems less likely that it represents a separate recording session:

The Velvet Underground [1969 Album]
XII - 4/68 [Velvet Underground] 1968 July 5
Jesus
Pale Blue Eyes
Beginning To See The Light
Story Of My Life
If You Close the Door [After Hours]

Velvet Underground - Mono Rough 1968 November 13
Jesus
I'm Set Free
If You Close The Door [After Hours]

b. 1 f. 5
Velvet Underground - Mono Rough Tracklist 1968 November 13
Track list from audio reel 560625.

Velvet Underground - Some Kinda Love; Story of My Life; Murder Mystery 1968
Velvet Underground - Stereo 1968
I'm Set Free
That's The Story Of My Life
The Murder Mystery
After Hours

Side II - Final Moe Feb 24, Except for Murder Mystery [Velvet Underground] 1968-1969
I'm Set Free
After Hours

The Velvet Underground circa 1968-1969
[1K Tone]
I'm Set Free
The Murder Mystery
After Hours

Also the archive notes for this Studio Recordings section say: "The Studio recordings comprise over 900 recordings of material intended for official album release... Much of Reed's catalog is represented in various formats, ranging from rough mixes to final masters of albums, singles, and music videos... The studio recordings are arranged chronologically by album or project. Tracklists transcribed from the original media are included when available...
The earliest recordings are of the Velvet Underground, which include copies of acetates originating from Moe Tucker, and audio recordings from 1968 to 1970 sessions for The Velvet Underground and Loaded. These recordings include studio outtakes, rough and alternate mixes, and mono and stereo mixes."
I must admit I'm not so convinced by this argument. I don't think that fact that 3 of the 5 tracks from the first session ended up on side 2 of the album tells us much. You're right to say it could be evolution, or equally I think it could simply be coincidence. It could even be that they had an idea of what one side of the album might look like as early as July 68, but changed that as things went along - as I said before we know they did perform all or most of those 5 songs with Cale.

The thing that makes me think this could still be a Cale session is simply the fact that a specific date of 5 July 1968 is given. Why would that be the case if it was recorded later?
Keep the faith

Kill Mick
Head held high

Post by Kill Mick » 30 Sep 2020 08:10

peppergomez wrote:
29 Sep 2020 21:36
It's a shame they didn't record a version of What Goes On w/ Cale during those sessions. Sterling is on record as saying the summer of '68 was THE definitive version of that song because of Cale's organ playing. I believe it. Maybe one of these days a live tape will surface.
Yes, at this point I think a Cale version go What Goes On is pretty much the holy grail for VU fans - I certainly can't think of a track I'd rather hear. It's frustrating that we know it was performed as well - as you say, fingers crossed for a live recording of it one day!
Keep the faith