The Downtown Pop Underground (book)

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
User avatar
iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street
Posts: 1470
Joined: 08 Jun 2004 21:38
Location: London, Texas

The Downtown Pop Underground (book)

Post by iaredatsun » 08 Dec 2020 00:22

Just picked this up from Judd books in Marchmont Street, London. The first two chapters should be of interest to any VU historian – not for their coverage of the VU but for the setting of the NY underground arts scene from late 50s and through the 60s and in later chapters, beyond.

Image
underground, overground

User avatar
iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street
Posts: 1470
Joined: 08 Jun 2004 21:38
Location: London, Texas

Re: The Downtown Pop Underground (book)

Post by iaredatsun » 08 Dec 2020 11:17

Update. Just so you know - there are about 3 pages that cover the early days of the VU, up to when Mo Tucker joined. No photos and nothing a well-read VU fan would not know.
underground, overground

Elvis Plebsley
Head held high
Posts: 373
Joined: 07 Mar 2004 21:11

Re: The Downtown Pop Underground (book)

Post by Elvis Plebsley » 08 Dec 2020 12:19

Would be interested to hear if it covers the Street Rock proto punk scene

User avatar
iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street
Posts: 1470
Joined: 08 Jun 2004 21:38
Location: London, Texas

Re: The Downtown Pop Underground (book)

Post by iaredatsun » 08 Dec 2020 15:44

Elvis Plebsley wrote:
08 Dec 2020 12:19
Would be interested to hear if it covers the Street Rock proto punk scene
name names and I will look. or a date. it goes into the 70s for sure.
underground, overground

User avatar
taxine
Head held high
Posts: 1171
Joined: 27 Apr 2006 13:42

Re: The Downtown Pop Underground (book)

Post by taxine » 08 Dec 2020 17:40

iaredatsun wrote:
08 Dec 2020 15:44
Elvis Plebsley wrote:
08 Dec 2020 12:19
Would be interested to hear if it covers the Street Rock proto punk scene
name names and I will look. or a date. it goes into the 70s for sure.

Wow,pretty cool stuff,thanks for postig !!
But there are no stars in New York sky, they're all on the ground.
This is the place where she lay her head when she went to bed at night....

Elvis Plebsley
Head held high
Posts: 373
Joined: 07 Mar 2004 21:11

Re: The Downtown Pop Underground (book)

Post by Elvis Plebsley » 10 Dec 2020 11:50

iaredatsun wrote:
08 Dec 2020 15:44

name names and I will look. or a date. it goes into the 70s for sure.
The scene around the New York Dolls 70-75. Names might include Pure Hell, Teenage Lust, Harlots of 42nd Street. I'm always on the look out for more info on proto punk scenes and any recordings from that period. Boston, Cleveland, Detroit; all that stuff.

User avatar
iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street
Posts: 1470
Joined: 08 Jun 2004 21:38
Location: London, Texas

Re: The Downtown Pop Underground (book)

Post by iaredatsun » 10 Dec 2020 17:55

Elvis Plebsley wrote:
10 Dec 2020 11:50
iaredatsun wrote:
08 Dec 2020 15:44

name names and I will look. or a date. it goes into the 70s for sure.
The scene around the New York Dolls 70-75. Names might include Pure Hell, Teenage Lust, Harlots of 42nd Street. I'm always on the look out for more info on proto punk scenes and any recordings from that period. Boston, Cleveland, Detroit; all that stuff.
There’s some stuff there definitely. Johansen, Pam Tent, Hibiscus, Cockettes, New York Dolls, Angels of Light, Wayne County. None of the other names you mention. The book is not focussed on music per se, only when it fits into the story of the wider underground scene. Arts, theatre, queer culture, film, music.
underground, overground

Elvis Plebsley
Head held high
Posts: 373
Joined: 07 Mar 2004 21:11

Re: The Downtown Pop Underground (book)

Post by Elvis Plebsley » 10 Dec 2020 20:40

iaredatsun wrote:
10 Dec 2020 17:55
There’s some stuff there definitely. Johansen, Pam Tent, Hibiscus, Cockettes, New York Dolls, Angels of Light, Wayne County. None of the other names you mention. The book is not focussed on music per se, only when it fits into the story of the wider underground scene. Arts, theatre, queer culture, film, music.
Thanks. Sounds like an interesting read.

threechordwonder
Head held high
Posts: 269
Joined: 05 Aug 2008 22:27
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: The Downtown Pop Underground (book)

Post by threechordwonder » 12 Dec 2020 17:58

Threadjack! Well, maybe not.

Sky Arts channel in UK will be broadcasting "Barbara Rubin and the Exploding New York Underground" by Chuck Smith on 14th Dec 2020 at 13:45.

It's not something I've heard of but thought it might tie in to this thread.

User avatar
iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street
Posts: 1470
Joined: 08 Jun 2004 21:38
Location: London, Texas

Re: The Downtown Pop Underground (book)

Post by iaredatsun » 13 Dec 2020 19:22

threechordwonder wrote:
12 Dec 2020 17:58
Threadjack! Well, maybe not.

Sky Arts channel in UK will be broadcasting "Barbara Rubin and the Exploding New York Underground" by Chuck Smith on 14th Dec 2020 at 13:45.

It's not something I've heard of but thought it might tie in to this thread.
A friend watched it last week. I'm was hoping to catch it somehow apart from on Sky Arts, but I just remembered that Sky Arts is now on Freeview. So, thank-you for the reminder.
underground, overground

Post Reply